view magnification?

NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
edited August 12, 2005 in Finishing School
shooting at full res with the 20d (3504x2336 pixels) - at what magnification do you view your shot in photoshop to determine sharpness, quality, etc...?

i read somewhere that 100% magnification is equivalent to viewing the printed output sized to a few feet wide from very close up, something that will always create a sense of poorer quality. what's the formula for figuring this out?

i haven't been too happy lately with what i see at 100%. am i being too 'zoomy'?

thanks!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 12, 2005
    I usually look at the image full screen on my Apple 23in LCD, rather than inspecting the image laboriously at 100%.

It depends, of course, how big you plan on your print to be. Most of the print I make for myself are 5x7 or so on 8x10 paper for keepsakes. If I plan to print 13x19 inches, then I will definitely look at the print at least that size on screen. I kind of play it by ear according to need.thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2005
    Nir wrote:
    shooting at full res with the 20d (3504x2336 pixels) - at what magnification do you view your shot in photoshop to determine sharpness, quality, etc...?

i read somewhere that 100% magnification is equivalent to viewing the printed output sized to a few feet wide from very close up, something that will always create a sense of poorer quality. what's the formula for figuring this out?

i haven't been too happy lately with what i see at 100%. am i being too 'zoomy'?

thanks!

At 100% each pixel in the image is one pixel on your display. From what I know, it's the most accurate view for detail. It needs no interpolation, since each pixel is a pixel. You'll find that odd magnifications yield artifacts, but if you view at 50%, for example, you'll get a fine looking image.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2005
    Nir wrote:

thanks!
    I use a couple of zoom levels.

Fit screen (CTRL-0) for most work
    100% (CTRL-ALT-0) for things like sharpening
    Print size to evaluate what the print output will look like, however for this you need to setup the true pixels/inch for your monitor.
    200-300% if I want to make a nice selection or do a quick mask, i.e. mouse jitter is not that much of a factor. Other uses I have for 200% zooms is work on portrait eyes (adding catchlights etc)

FWIW, YMMV,

XO,
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com