Playing with Textures

EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
edited April 8, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
So, I decided to go and try some texture overlays in Photoshop. It was a great experience and I am really getting the hang of it. This is one of my best yet.

img7220a.jpg

It took me a while to figure out how to do it. I am willing to share if anyone is interested.

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2010
    I like the overall effect you've achieved. I would tone down the brightness of the light area, but that's surely a personal choice. Nicely done.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • jsquerijsqueri Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2010
    I am willing to share if anyone is interested

ear.gif

I've attempted before this without your success. Let's hear your methods.
  • EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    I only know how to do this in Photoshop.

The trick is to use the eraser tool. Load your texture into a layer over the image you are working with. For this image, I set the blending mode to hard light. You will have to choose though depending on what effect you want to achieve. Adjust the opacity until you can see the image underneath. You will notice that the effect is not very desirable at this point because the subject will be faint and obscure. Select the eraser tool and make sure it is in brush mode. Set the hardness to 10%. Then set the opacity to 30% or so, depending on how much of the effect you want to remove over a certain area. Now, simply rub the eraser (rolleyes1.gif ) over the parts of the image where you want to reduce the texture effect. By doing this, you will make the subject stand out while retaining the texture effect. Play with it and you will find the settings that suite your needs best.

Disclaimer: This is my way of doing this and I created it without other knowledge. I have no idea if there are better ways or not, if there are, let me know.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited April 8, 2010
    Eclipsed wrote:
    I have no idea if there are better ways or not, if there are, let me know.
    I find that using layer masks is more efficient than the eraser, especially if you have second thoughts and want to adjust things the next day.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    Textures are fun.
    I found a really easy method a couple weeks ago.
    It puts one photo over the other then you adjust the strength of the texture to stronger or weaker.
    Pretty simple method but baby steps for me.

Love the look.
  • EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    I find that using layer masks is more efficient than the eraser, especially if you have second thoughts and want to adjust things the next day.

Very true, although you achieve the same effect.