Big Boats

John at the BeachJohn at the Beach Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
edited April 8, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Couldn't pass this one up...It's not often you have 2 cruise ships side by side making an almost mirror image...

Comments

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2010
    It took me awhile to realize that the center vanishing point object is a boom that you are under on a sailboat?

Great idea for a shot. Love the composition!thumb.gif

clap.gifclapclap.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • John at the BeachJohn at the Beach Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited April 7, 2010
    Big Boats
    Thanks for the look and comment Don....What you are thinking is a sailboat mast, isn't...It's a huge canvas tarp on the pier to keep the passengers dry while coming from and going ashore...I would guess it was at least 200 yards long...Something fancy to make the cruise docks more appealing...I am sure the designer got paid big bucks to come up with that idea...This shot was taken in San Juan and the ships are Royal Caribbean's Explorer of the Sea's and Independence of the Sea's....:oogle
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2010
    Thanks for the look and comment Don....What you are thinking is a sailboat mast, isn't...It's a huge canvas tarp on the pier to keep the passengers dry while coming from and going ashore...I would guess it was at least 200 yards long...Something fancy to make the cruise docks more appealing...I am sure the designer got paid big bucks to come up with that idea...This shot was taken in San Juan and the ships are Royal Caribbean's Explorer of the Sea's and Independence of the Sea's....:oogle
    That would have been my second guess, but could not tell if that was sail or what? I am also having trouble figuring if the V of it is pointing up or down! headscratch.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • John at the BeachJohn at the Beach Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited April 7, 2010
    V or not to V....hahaha
    I never paid attention to the way the tarp looked in the photo, but your right, you have to take a second look to see if the center is up or the center is down....V up or V down.....
    The design is such that it serves 2 purposes, I assume....The whole thing is sloped down to the end of the pier and the V is a right side up V so rain will funnel down like a gutter on your house, keeping the pier free of big puddles of water...And the designer probably went to school 4 yrs to get a degree to come up with that....deal.gif
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2010
    Well seen, well composed, and well taken! I like it a lot!
  • invisibleinvisible Registered Users Posts: 440 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    Fantastic shot, well seen! One of my favourites of the last few weeks on this forum. Thanks for sharing.
    I steal the soul of inanimate things.

Federico
    Website / Flickr
  • DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    Wow Cool Shot! It really messes with the eye, almost makes me dizzy!
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited April 8, 2010
    DeuceFour wrote:
    Wow Cool Shot! It really messes with the eye, almost makes me dizzy!

It didn't make me dizzy, but it did make me look more closely. Well seen. thumb.gif