Options

Mini-Challenge #93 -- High Dynamic Range Imaging

2»

Comments

• Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2010
    I missed this message when you posted it. Sorry for the late reply. I know the rules are generally submit three. But I am fine if someone wants to submit 1-3 more. Go for it.

Froch wrote:
    Is it cool to add a couple more Greg? I shot some Disney stuff this past weekend that I really like.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2010
    Almost everything I do (when I comes to Landscapes) is bracketed for HDR, I honestly don't know how anyone can do it any other way.... oh wait, Grad Filters ya thats the other way.....but I'm too cheap to invest into those...

The argument of HDR photomatix vs. HDR PS vs. HDR layers and masks have made for some great discussion among friends I hang with.....
    None of us have ever lost the argument to one another.... If you know what I mean?.mwink.gif
    (btw, if I've used any of these shots before pls forgive my memory...)

Along the Trail

840846888_8jGj7-M.jpg

Deep, Very Deep

716851334_bziUh-M.jpg

I like to call this one:
    "Zeno, if I ever catch you ..."

837905797_UTPyh-L.jpg
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2010
    I like to call this one:
    "Zeno, if I ever catch you ..."

837905797_UTPyh-160x160.jpg

Just have to comment on this. It's is pretty funny and the title makes it. Makes me angry and yet I guffaw at the same time.
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2010
    Beautiful stuff Aaron!
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2010
    thanks Guys, gotta love a good guffaw every now and then:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    kds1kds1 Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2010
    Almost everything I do (when I comes to Landscapes) is bracketed for HDR, I honestly don't know how anyone can do it any other way.... oh wait, Grad Filters ya thats the other way.....but I'm too cheap to invest into those...

The argument of HDR photomatix vs. HDR PS vs. HDR layers and masks have made for some great discussion among friends I hang with.....
    None of us have ever lost the argument to one another.... If you know what I mean?.mwink.gif
    (btw, if I've used any of these shots before pls forgive my memory...)

Aaron,

I have never done HDR, have only read about it, hence staying WAY away from this mini challenge. However, I apparently need to be educated, so I'm hoping you will do that for me. In looking at your three landscape images, they are great. LOVE them. But I can't tell the difference between what you have posted here and non-HDR landscapes. I know, cringe, cringe, everyone is probably very embarrassed for me, but admitting this asking for input is the only way I can learn.

My camera does the bracketing thing (yep, rank amateur here) but I've never used it. I guess I'm not quite sure what the need is since I can't tell the difference between your HDR shots and regular non HDR landscapes. The really processed HDR shots, sure, i can tell. But not the others. Please don't be offended because I certainly don't mean it that way, and can you educate me?

Kara
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2010
    Kara, download the Photomatix trial and try it.

Aaron's first shot is a great example of the value of HDR. If you scan over that scene, you can see the detail in the water, in the shadow areas of the forest, and in the cloudy sky. Without HDR, you would've had to choose, based on exposure, which one you'd want to emphasize. If you exposed for the forest, the sky would've been blown out. If for the sky, the forest would be black.

Here's the 5 bracketed exposures (SOOC) I used to create one of my examples. You'll notice the underexposured ones pick up the pastels of the sky, and the overexposed ones, the detail in the rocky foreground.

840160172_oLUJ7-L.jpg

840160223_6CSuR-M.jpg

840160271_TpUFq-L.jpg

+1
    840160323_BuECX-L.jpg

+2
    840160372_NH8Um-L.jpg

Greg
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2010
    Kara, zero offence takenthumb.gif I think the problem is that when people hear HDR they think ultra unreal crazy colors etc etc.. HDR is a very very wide gamut, and I hope the style I use can help anyone better their photographythumb.gif
    I have always wanted to try the surreal type HDR, but simply I have no idea how to do it and maybe someone else will chime in and give a layout on how?

As for my stuff, I doubt that I have the skill to explain this well but I can say Greg made a perfect example and description.

Maybe it will be good to show my before and after?
    This example shows some of the Raw images converted to DNG for PS stitching.
    Caveat: My dirty little secret is that I can not shot a straight pano to save my life, (but I try), here are 10 frames stitched, some say overlap by 25%, but I overlap by 75% because the more frames the better PS deals with making the pano turn out correct.
    Anyway, back on topic, we all see in "HDR" but as pointed out with examples our cameras do NOT. So we blend the different exposures to get the images to look like how we seen the scene with our own eyes...and based on personal taste and style then comes the "enhancements".

expose for Shadows
    840834658_in9CN-M.jpg

expose for Highlights
    840834572_PsrFJ-M.jpg

Merge the two, and then Enhance to taste...
    840846888_8jGj7-M.jpg
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2010
    Aaron and Greg, this is so helpful to read. I too have been straying away from this challenge, but I'm not sure the software I have will do this anyway, but, it definitely helps me understand it, to maybe give it a try, so thanks!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2010
    ghinson wrote:
    I hope you still do it. In the regular DSS, people would be forced to do it in the time period. And to try it if they haven't.

and if I can add Sean, make it tone mapped heavy? then I will be forced to try something new.
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    Hello friends! I'd like to include 3 of my most interesting automotive/streetphoto-HDR images (created from a RAW file)

795211759_bdNTu-M.jpg

841236615_GVffZ-M.jpg

794228177_8Wqqd-M.jpg

Very cool submissions!
  • Options
    AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    Here are 3 of my HDR attempts.

#1 Peace Pagoda Sunrise
    841524481_oaZFW-L-1.jpg

#2 Sunset over Rutland Water
    841525355_mBeFs-L-1.jpg

#3 Normanton Church at Sunset
    841526234_gLmdW-L-1.jpg

I use Dynamic Photo HDR for the initial blend & tone mapping as it tends towards the dynamic rather than natural look which I preferred when I started doing HDRs. Now I usually reduce the tone mapping to a more natural look and finish off in elements. The last 2 here are from my more naturalistic phase while #1 is from when I was into high contrast tone mapping (which I still occasionally use).
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    Here are 3 from Valley Forge National Historic Park:

#1 - Aide de Campe's Room, Washington's HQ
    801276023_RwMMi-L.jpg

#2 - Attic, Washington's HQ
    793972585_h83mX-M.jpg

#3 - George & Martha's Bedroom, Washington's HQ
    801276691_M9b2k-M.jpg
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    What wonderful entries here!!! clap.gif

I don't have any HDR images, neither know how to do them properly...
    so, I'm not participating in this challenge.

Linda your entries are really nice - especially the wide angle ones - fantastic!!!
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    ChuBeanChuBean Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    Totally new to HDR...
    Okay, I just started dabbling in HDR, and not very much. Just thought I’d throw these in as some of the stuff I’ve been tryin’… I need to do more research and playing for sure. I do not have Photomatrix now, used Picturenaut (it is a free download) for the only true HDR in this lot.
    #1 the Iris is truly an HDR using multiple exposures, taking shots of this for a daily and thought I’d try the multiple exposure setting out. The other two are “normal” shots that have been enhanced using Topaz Adjust in CS4 to get an HDR affect.

#1 Iris
    843084719_CuVpu-L.jpg

#2 Scoutie...(Poor Dog)
    843084958_VmLjg-L.jpg

Poor Scout really does not look that bad...entered this one in a ugly dog contest a news station was holding and she took runner up... Don't tell her!

#3 JWU Hall
    843085124_vRRDP-L.jpg

Liked the reflections the the glass offered...
    Chuck Beehner...
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    I never heard of HDR until this week. I love the photos everyone has posted here. I bought Photomatix last night and snapped these pictures.
    843209169_PMEDf-L.jpg
    843650350_YPoB3-L.jpg
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    kdotaylor wrote:
    I never heard of HDR until this week. I love the photos everyone has posted here. I bought Photomatix last night and snapped these pictures.

clap.gif Wonderful! - I wish I had the time to do the same...
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    TomhTomh Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 21, 2010
    3 HDR Images from Tom Hartje
    Image 1 and 2 were taken while on vacation in England. Image 3 was in a park while BBQing with some friends. Enjoy!

425686646_CbD4h-S.jpg
    Bodiam Castle, Robertsbridge, England

426844133_NYUeH-S.jpg
    Canterbury Cathedrel, Canterbury, England

494030181_5vwos-S-1.jpg
    Honda S2000, Phoenix, AZ
  • Options
    Ifocus4uIfocus4u Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    Hdr
    Each image produced with 5 - 6 exposures using Photomatix for the tonal mapping.
    There are some wonderful images here...great challenge! Thanks! :D

4514775690_bfed170594_o.jpg

3292890637_87e46a9186_o.jpg

4528675661_5f87f2bc82_o.jpg

4529080356_77c38c5ed7_o.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2010
    beautiful!
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    kds1kds1 Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2010
    Greg and Aaron
    Aaron and Greg - sorry for the belated reply. I have had mega domain name/email issues that waylaid me for a few weeks.

At any rate, thank you both so much for your help and examples. I see now what you mean and how HDR can be used! Wonderful explanations, both of you. I really appreciate it.

And I just may try it . . .. :)

Kara