Death Valley Race Track

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited April 9, 2010 in Landscapes
Here is a different view of the Race Track. Please let me know your thoughts on this image.

Thanks,

Sam

http://www.samlinvillephotography.com/Fine-Art-Prints-For-Sale/Death-Valley/Race-Track-7159/831156446_8ekr6-M.jpg

Comments

• SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    Did you darken the sky?
    The line between mountain and sky in the far background looks a little un-natural.

Other than that, beautiful photo!
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    Death Valley Race Track
    Here is a different view of the Race Track. Please let me know your thoughts on this image.

Thanks,

Sam

831156446_8ekr6-M.jpg
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    Nice. Going there this weekend, hopefully we get some clouds, too thumb.gif
    edited April 8, 2010
    Yes I processed this with the dramatic in mind.

I tried to delete this thread because I inserted a link rater than the image,
    but for some reason I couldn't seem to delete it??

Sam
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 8, 2010
    NICE!!! thumb.gifthumb
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    Sam this comp really is flowing...I love it!thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    Wow - the colors and that sky is spectacular! Really nice!
  • JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    Great place
    Something about this photo seems odd to me.

It's a great image, it just seems slightly odd to me. The shadows on the racetrack and the really red color of the playa (redder than I've ever seen it) look like it should be morning, with a decent red sunlight component coming through, and the sky just seems out of sync somehow. Did you do a lot of post processing?
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    Hi Sam, I love the clouds and the light in the foreground!

I merged your two threads since there were comments in both. thumb.gif
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    I like it, looks like a river. Nice workthumb.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    Excellent composition and dramatic PP. I love this picture clap.gif
    edited April 8, 2010
    edited April 8, 2010
    Kolibri,

Yes, this has been processed for dramatic effect. It's not meant to be an exact representation of what I saw. Rather a stylized exaggerated version of reality.

No elements were added or removed. No rocks were harmed in the making of this image. :D

Sam
    edited April 8, 2010
    Sam wrote:
    Kolibri,

Yes, this has been processed for dramatic effect. It's not meant to be an exact representation of what I saw. Rather a stylized exaggerated version of reality.

No elements were added or removed. No rocks were harmed in the making of this image. :D

Sam

I was looking at your exif data, and you must have been out at the racetrack for three days- where did you camp, or did you drive in and out again on multiple days? Or is the cloudy sky image a composite image? You could use some work on the blending between the sky and the landscape, there are some discontinuities if you look at the larger scale images.
    edited April 9, 2010
    kolibri wrote:
    I was looking at your exif data, and you must have been out at the racetrack for three days- where did you camp, or did you drive in and out again on multiple days? Or is the cloudy sky image a composite image? You could use some work on the blending between the sky and the landscape, there are some discontinuities if you look at the larger scale images.

Kolibri,

Thanks again. I will revisit the image and work on the blending. I am still working on the exact look I am seeking, but the image posted is close. We camped there for two nights. You don't want to drive down that road any more than you have to.

The sky is real. Here is the original image without any post processing.

Sam
    edited April 9, 2010
    Sam wrote:
    Kolibri,

Thanks again. I will revisit the image and work on the blending. I am still working on the exact look I am seeking, but the image posted is close. We camped there for two nights. You don't want to drive down that road any more than you have to.

The sky is real. Here is the original image without any post processing.

Sam
    Cool. Now I see how the surreal effect comes in- I spend a lot of time around playas, and it was hurting my brain reconciling the playa with the sky (which is probably good exercise for the brain). Must have been a great trip, did you camp at Homestake?
    edited April 9, 2010
    Kolibi,

Our method for camping is pretty simple. With the exception of sleeping in the morgue we simply throw a cot on the ground with sleeping bag. I prefer to sleep under the stars, weather permitting.

Actually we simply stayed at the southern end of the Race Track. That way we only had to roll out of bed and walk out on the playa.

Please note: We leave no trace behind. We take nothing but photos.

Sam

As a side note the road out there is pretty rough, but I think that is by design. Unfortunately if they made it easy to get there I believe the Race Track would be destroyed. You can already see where rocks have been taken by the ignorant and uncaring. Most that visit seem to appreciate the uniqueness of the place and I didn't see any refuse or empty beer cans. yeah!!
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2010