Options

what's this computer worth do you think?

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited August 13, 2005 in Digital Darkroom
is there a way to put or find a value for this machine?

it's two years old.

sony vaio desktop (computer only)

pentium 4, 2.4ghz
1.5gb ram
dvd burner
cd drive
win xp sp2
firewire integrated, usb 2.0
memory stick slot
and
3.5" diskette drive (:lol3)

sony pcv-rx860 is the original sony model

couldn't find any on ebay that are for sale or sold. don't believe it's worth much but i need to find out... any help or links would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2005
    $0.50, but a full dollar if you remove XP and install Linux.

James.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2005
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    $0.50, but a full dollar if you remove XP and install Linux.

James.

blbl.gif thanks for nuthin' lol3.gif
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2005
    on a more serious note, this is about as close as I could get right quickly.

http://www.usedcomputer.com/classifieds/CPViewInCat.asp?ID=97

James.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2005
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    on a more serious note, this is about as close as I could get right quickly.

http://www.usedcomputer.com/classifieds/CPViewInCat.asp?ID=97

James.

thanks james :D
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2005
    You could see how this one [ebay.com] does... I think yours is better (more ram, xp pro), but it seems pretty close. And this one [ebay.com] including a small monitor sold recently for $415.

So somewhere in that $500 range... maybe a bit higher depending on your hard disk and graphics card.
    Chris
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2005
    Selling desktops is like selling golf clubs. They lose any value right after you buy them. Laptops hold a little more value because of the screen.

The number of $300 popped in my head after reading your specs.
  • Options
    luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2005
    andy wrote:
    is there a way to put or find a value for this machine?

it's two years old.

sony vaio desktop (computer only)

pentium 4, 2.4ghz
    1.5gb ram
    dvd burner
    cd drive
    win xp sp2
    firewire integrated, usb 2.0
    memory stick slot
    and
    3.5" diskette drive (lol3.gif)
    Andy,

If it's any help, a few months ago I paid ~£230 for a refurbished Dell. 3.0GHz HT, 256Mb RAM, XP Home, CD-RW [Including delivery + 1 year warranty]

I would say that your machine is probably worth about the same (in the UK) if it's XP Pro and you're selling the licence with the machine. Hence $300-400 would probably be in the right order (you people across the pond always get computers cheaper!)

The 3Ghz CPUs are a fair bit pricier, probably similar to the cost of the RAM (A complete replacement to 1Gb cost ~£45) and the DVD drive.

Sorry this answer is so ambigious, it's kind of hard to tell what low-end computers are worth, it very much depends on the buyer. At this end of the market it becomes a case of the monetary value not really being the issues, the computers are often either junk or invaluable depending on what the user is looking for.

However if you're looking for an answer that would satisfy an accountant, then comparing to Dell Outlet might give you a reasonable shot.

Incidentally, I know a charity in the UK who might be interested, but I guess the shipping cost would be more than the value of the machine. :uhoh

Hope this is some help, even if I haven't actually said very much...

Luke
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2005
    Andy,

If it's any help, a few months ago I paid ~£230 for a refurbished Dell. 3.0GHz HT, 256Mb RAM, XP Home, CD-RW [Including delivery + 1 year warranty]

I would say that your machine is probably worth about the same (in the UK) if it's XP Pro and you're selling the licence with the machine. Hence $300-400 would probably be in the right order (you people across the pond always get computers cheaper!)

The 3Ghz CPUs are a fair bit pricier, probably similar to the cost of the RAM (A complete replacement to 1Gb cost ~£45) and the DVD drive.

Sorry this answer is so ambigious, it's kind of hard to tell what low-end computers are worth, it very much depends on the buyer. At this end of the market it becomes a case of the monetary value not really being the issues, the computers are often either junk or invaluable depending on what the user is looking for.

However if you're looking for an answer that would satisfy an accountant, then comparing to Dell Outlet might give you a reasonable shot.

Incidentally, I know a charity in the UK who might be interested, but I guess the shipping cost would be more than the value of the machine. :uhoh

Hope this is some help, even if I haven't actually said very much...

Luke

thanks all!

you've helped loads :D and luke, it was you who got me on teh added ram and the new geforce card for this machine about a year ago bowdown.gif

it's served it's time, and now it'll be going to a charitable organization here in the u.s., if one wants it....