In-Camera HDRs / Arizona

dave6253dave6253 Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
edited April 9, 2010 in Landscapes
New photographer here. Here are a couple recent in-camera HDRs from my Pentax K7 with DA*16-50 f2.8 lens.

Burro Creek Bridge
819106147_96iWB-XL.jpg

Kofa National Wildlife Refuge
819088988_apUZL-XL.jpg

Are these any good?

Comments

• Chris HChris H Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2010
    "Are these any good?"

Errr, yeah!! Particularly like the second one. Really nice.
  • Alpha_PlusAlpha_Plus Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2010
    WOW.. love them both!! clap.gifclap.gif

Edit: What do you mean by in-camera HDRs??
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Induro CT-014 Tripod
    karllindsayphotography.com | Photos on Facebook | 500px
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2010
    I love 'em both, but I'm biased - sunsets, water reflections, and deserts are among my favorite photographic subjects.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2010
    Alpha_Plus wrote:
    WOW.. love them both!! clap.gifclap.gif

Edit: What do you mean by in-camera HDRs??

http://www.mitzanu.ro/photo_tips/d40_tricks.html
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 9, 2010
    Wow, that's Burro Creek Bridge!? I need to get out there! It's not too far from me. It's a good shot. You do have some halos in it, and the light is a little boring. The second shot is just splendid! thumb.gif
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2010
    Very nice, especially the second oneclap.gif How does the camera accomplish HDR soooc. It must be jpeg or tff, yes?
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2010
    dlplumer wrote:
    Very nice, especially the second oneclap.gif How does the camera accomplish HDR soooc. It must be jpeg or tff, yes?

The K7 can merge multiple images into an HDR in camera. The resulting output is Jpg only. But the OOC results are impressive!
  • dave6253dave6253 Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2010
    Thanks for the replies all.

SimpsonBrothers, That's pretty cool. I didn't know the D40 had that "Image Overlay" tool. It looks a little more complicated than the automatic in-camera HDR though.

Alpha_Plus, You may be interested to know the new Sony Alpha 500/550 line also has an in-camera HDR function. The Sony system automatically stitches two exposures together and claims you don't need a tripod.

The Pentax K7, as MarkR points out, automatically stitches together three exposures. It only does this in JPEG however. To shoot an HDR select either "HDR Standard" or "HDR Strong" in the menu. Then press the shutter and the camera automatically shoots the exposure you selected and two others automatically. The camera then combines the three exposures immediately into one JPEG. I use a tripod since it varies the shutter speed with the last shot usually being couple seconds. You can do this in full manual mode selecting your own exposure, but other than "Standard" and "Strong" there is no contol over the bracketing exposures. There seems to be frequent halos in "HDR strong" as pointed out in my first image. The second image was also "HDR strong" though.

Both the Pentax and Sony were released last year. I would expect this to be a feature seen on other cameras in the near future. Does this sound like a useful, time-saving feature, or just a gimmick?

I haven't played with this feature much, but like some of the results so far. I threw these examples up here to see what you guys thought, so thanks much for the responses.

Another con I noticed is that even with the two second timer set the camera ignores this in HDR mode and shoots immediately. Maybe this will be corrected with a firmware update. I haven't tried the wireless remote in HDR mode yet.

These two shots weren't SOOC since I did some basic post in Lightroom.
  • Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2010
    Loving both of these. The reflection shot is spot on and what a great sunrise/sunset. clap.gif
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • HBOCHBOC Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited April 9, 2010
    great shots, especially the 2nd one!!