Photoshop Crop Resolution

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
edited June 10, 2010 in Finishing School
Is there a way to simply turn off the default crop resolution which is currently 300 DPI? I want it left blank so that my picture resolution is as large as possible when I crop it. I tried looking through various defaults and presets, but can't seem to find a place to set it.

Thanks,
-joel

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2010
    What version of PS?

Mine is set for 300 but that is what is set for up on import........since I was changing my files to 300 (8x10 approx print size) anyway that was a good thing......that way all of my uprezing is at 300dpi not the native 72 of the original camera file..........also if you have a file at native resolution and you crop it to 8x10......that is 8x10 at 72 dpi..........but I try to work in the 4x5 aspect ration as much as possible for printing purposes anyway.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 9, 2010
    Cs4
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited April 9, 2010
    In CS3, I created a bunch of standard size crops and left the resolution blank. Just click on the little new tool preset button on the crop tool dropdown menu.

Edit: Also remember that resolution is a not an attribute of an image, which only contains pixels, but rather something that is decided when you output the image to a device (printer/screen).
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2010
    Kdog,

When you activate the crop tool look at the top of your screen. You will see boxes for width, height, and resolution. Simply highlight the resolution number (300) and delete it. There is also a clear button that will clear all settings.

I sure hope I'm not missing anything here.

Sam
    edited April 9, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    In CS3, I created a bunch of standard size crops and left the resolution blank. Just click on the little new tool preset button on the crop tool dropdown menu.

BINGO!! clap.gif That's exactly what I needed.
    Edit: Also remember that resolution is a not an attribute of an image, which only contains pixels, but rather something that is decided when you output the image to a device (printer/screen).

I realize that, but that wasn't my issue. Short explanation is that I like to crop to aspect ratios, not dimensions.

Longer explanation: I like to crop to the standard aspect ratios of 8x10 or 4x6. Using 4x6 as an example, if the DPI field is set at the default 300, you're physically resizing to a 1200x1800 image. So I usually try to remember to zero-out the DPI field. But, sometimes I forget. I might only crop a tiny margin off my 5DMII image, thinking I still have say 5000x3000 pixels left, only to find out later in my workflow that I've been editing a 1200x1800 image. That really pisses me off when I do that.

So creating new presets at my standard aspect ratios without the resolution is exactly what I wanted. Thanks, Richard! thumb.gif
    edited April 9, 2010
    Sam wrote:
    Kdog,

When you activate the crop tool look at the top of your screen. You will see boxes for width, height, and resolution. Simply highlight the resolution number (300) and delete it. There is also a clear button that will clear all settings.

I sure hope I'm not missing anything here.

Sam

I knew that, Sam. The problem is that sometimes I'd forget to zero-out the resolution field, which actually resizes your image smaller when you crop. Creating new presets is the way to go.

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited April 9, 2010
    Kdog,

I guess I am still missing something. :D

My Photoshop defaults to the resolution box being clear?

Sam
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2010
    Geee....zuhs! 11doh.gif

Thought I had things figured out!

Glad this was posted or I'd continue to FU.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 9, 2010
    Sam wrote:
    Kdog,

Sam

Mine too, Sam.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited April 9, 2010
    pathfinder wrote:
    Mine too, Sam.

Mine defaults to 300....headscratch.gif
    edited April 9, 2010
    Pathfinder and myself have the new upgraded version of CS4.

Sam
    edited April 9, 2010
    Sam wrote:

Sam
    New upgraded version? eek7.gif What version would that be? I'm running 11.0.1 with all current updates.

Thanks,
    -joel
  • EOS_JDEOS_JD Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited April 9, 2010
    Perhaps I'm a little late in here but let me say the defauls ppi value doesn't matter. I note you refer to dpi. Dots per inch is an output resolution from things like printers and monitors and scanners. PPI is pixels per inch which when combined with a number of pixels, provides the size of your image output.

An image that is 3000 x 2400 pixels printed at 300ppi will give an 8x10 high quality image.

An file that is 8x10 printed at 72ppi will produce a low quality image - not su much because it's printed at 72ppi but because it's only 576pixels x 720 pixels in size!!

In Photoshop (any version), uncheck the resample box and you'll just remove the pixels you don't want leaving your high quality pixels as they are and not interpolated by Ps.
    edited April 9, 2010
    EOS_JD wrote:
    Perhaps I'm a little late in here but let me say the defauls ppi value doesn't matter. I note you refer to dpi. Dots per inch is an output resolution from things like printers and monitors and scanners. PPI is pixels per inch which when combined with a number of pixels, provides the size of your image output.

An image that is 3000 x 2400 pixels printed at 300ppi will give an 8x10 high quality image.

An file that is 8x10 printed at 72ppi will produce a low quality image - not su much because it's printed at 72ppi but because it's only 576pixels x 720 pixels in size!!

In Photoshop (any version), uncheck the resample box and you'll just remove the pixels you don't want leaving your high quality pixels as they are and not interpolated by Ps.
    Not to appear ungrateful, but this is in no way related to my issue.

Thanks for trying to help though.
    -joel
    edited April 9, 2010
    Sam wrote:
    Kdog,

Sam

Select the crop tool, and you should see three boxes: Width, Height, and Resolution. Now click on the crop-tool dropdown menu which should appear directly under the "File" menu. You should now see a list of your presets. As near as I can tell, the defaults for those three boxes are derived from the first preset in the drop down. What is yours set to?

I had a big list of presets, all of which contained 300 DPI resolution. I've now deleted them all, and created new ones with no resolution set. Problem completely solved, and I'm a happy camper now.
    edited April 9, 2010
    kdog wrote:
    Select the crop tool, and you should see three boxes: Width, Height, and Resolution. Now click on the crop-tool dropdown menu which should appear directly under the "File" menu. You should now see a list of your presets. As near as I can tell, the defaults for those three boxes are derived from the first preset in the drop down. What is yours set to?

I had a big list of presets, all of which contained 300 DPI resolution. I've now deleted them all, and created new ones with no resolution set. Problem completely solved, and I'm a happy camper now.

I was merely stating a couple of points that didn't comer across as I thought your question was already answered I didn't bother with that.

DPI resolution doesn't relate to digital images. Look and you'll see Ps uses the term PPI -

What I was trying to say above that the figure is useless unless you are going to print the images. No matter the resolution, the only thing that matters is the number of pixels.

Obviously when you go to print you need the correct ppi value to get the right size of output from the printer.

I appreciate that doesn't relate to the original question just throwing in some info that seemed to me to be confusing.

My presets are set to whatever was inserted previously. Maybe that's just a cs4 thing.
    edited April 9, 2010
    Kdog,

Now I get it! :D

I have never used the presets.............I just type in the size or ratio I want for the crop.

I don't need no stinking presets.

Sam
    edited April 10, 2010
    Sam wrote:
    Kdog,

Now I get it! :D

I have never used the presets.............I just type in the size or ratio I want for the crop.

I don't need no stinking presets.

Sam

Yeah, well, I can be a lazy S.O.B. sometimes, what can I tell ya? rolleyes1.gif
    edited April 10, 2010
    Sam wrote:

Sam

So do I. :D

Since I do most of my cropping in ACR.....I guess this isn't really a big deal to me.

Just something I never considered till now.
  • BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2010
    Throughout this thread it has been mentioned that many use a ppi value such as 300ppi, while it has also been mentioned that it does not matter what ppi is placed into the crop tool option bar and that it is only the pixels that truly matter.

By placing a ppi into the crop tool along with dimentions for width and height - the crop tool resamples or interpolates the image pixels, in the same way that the image size command resamples when resampling is turned on.

This does affect the pixel count and quality of the image. When it comes to the crop tool, the ppi field is not just a metadata entry, image pixels are affected.

When it comes to the crop tool, the ppi count is very important - it should be left blank if one wishes to avoid resampling/interpolation. As mentioned, this blank ppi setting will simply trim away the excess edge pixels, without resampling the entire image.

Stephen Marsh

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx/
    http://prepression.blogspot.com/
    edited April 10, 2010
    Exactly. thumb.gif
    edited April 10, 2010
    Yup!

edited April 11, 2010
    BinaryFx wrote:
    Throughout this thread it has been mentioned that many use a ppi value such as 300ppi, while it has also been mentioned that it does not matter what ppi is placed into the crop tool option bar and that it is only the pixels that truly matter.

By placing a ppi into the crop tool along with dimentions for width and height - the crop tool resamples or interpolates the image pixels, in the same way that the image size command resamples when resampling is turned on.

This does affect the pixel count and quality of the image. When it comes to the crop tool, the ppi field is not just a metadata entry, image pixels are affected.

When it comes to the crop tool, the ppi count is very important - it should be left blank if one wishes to avoid resampling/interpolation. As mentioned, this blank ppi setting will simply trim away the excess edge pixels, without resampling the entire image.

Stephen Marsh

What I as trying to say only you said it better :)
    edited April 11, 2010
    BinaryFx wrote:

Stephen Marsh

I never realized it was interpolating the image..........have changed work habit... sticky notes on 'puter screens to not use the resolution part of the crop tool as a matter of fact I no longer put in dimension in the crop tool at all.....using the ruler is just as fast when cropping for me.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited April 11, 2010
    Art Scott wrote:
    I never realized it was interpolating the image..........have changed work habit... sticky notes on 'puter screens to not use the resolution part of the crop tool as a matter of fact I no longer put in dimension in the crop tool at all.....using the ruler is just as fast when cropping for me.....

There is two ways in the crop tool to resize. One by inserting a unit of measure (in mm, cm, in) in the wide/height boxes and adding in the resolution. The other is by resizing your image in pixels. Even with the resolution box blank, if you resize to 600px x 400px you'll get a nice web sized image.
  • ultravistaultravista Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    I have a similar issue regarding a recent magazine shoot. I leave the DPI setting blank so my files vary in PPI based on file dimensions.

The magazines art director is complaining that the files are unusable due to the varying PPI throughout the entire set. We're talking 11 fights, a pre and post presser, and another event.

Am I missing something here?

Mod Edit: DPI replaced by PPI, as dots per inch is a printer function, not a description of an image. Images have pixels and PPI
    edited June 9, 2010
    Well now normally I do all of my resizing in the Image > Image Size area to get my native
    image as close to 8x 10 as possible then it goes to GF to actually be uprezed to the
    actual final size I want (a size in the 4x5 ratio) and that is it.........if the image at
    300 - 400 dpi is a little larger than 8x 10 I crop it to 8x10 with the resolution box left empty,
    as I am already at 300-400 dpi.........................then the resulting 8x10 (at 300-400dpi) is
    sent to the GF uprez complex for muscular build up :-}

edited June 10, 2010
    ultravista wrote: »
    I have a similar issue regarding a recent magazine shoot. I leave the DPI setting blank so my files vary in DPI based on file dimensions.

The magazines art director is complaining that the files are unusable due to the varying DPI throughout the entire set. We're talking 11 fights, a pre and post presser, and another event.

As mentioned earlier, DPI refers to inkspots on paper from a printer. You are referencing PPI or pixels per inch. What is really important is the total number ( dimension ) of pixels along each margin.

If you shoot the same camera at the same ISO, and crop without scaling the same way, you should have the same number of pixels along your images edges.

I do not understand why your art director requires each image to have the same number of pixels along its margin, they can easily be configured that way in Photoshop from your images. I wonder if maybe you are coming up with an inadequate number of pixels along your image edges, and that would render an image as unusable.

Why not give the full, uncropped image to the art director, then all your images will have the same pixel dimensions, unless your change your parameters in your camera while shooting.

edited June 10, 2010
    ultravista wrote: »
    I have a similar issue regarding a recent magazine shoot. I leave the DPI setting blank so my files vary in PPI based on file dimensions.

The magazines art director is complaining that the files are unusable due to the varying PPI throughout the entire set. We're talking 11 fights, a pre and post presser, and another event.

Mod Edit: DPI replaced by PPI, as dots per inch is a printer function, not a description of an image. Images have pixels and PPI

I guess you cropped all your images. Maybe better not to and let them do the cropping? THat way every image is the same.
    edited June 10, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Well now normally I do all of my resizing in the Image > Image Size area to get my native
    image as close to 8x 10 as possible then it goes to GF to actually be uprezed to the actual final size I want (a size in the 4x5 ratio) and that is it.........if the image at 300 - 400 dpi is a little larger than 8x 10 I crop it to 8x10 with the resolution box left empty, as I am already at 300-400 dpi.........................then the resulting 8x10 (at 300-400dpi) is
    sent to the GF uprez complex for muscular build up :-}

Art
    I have used GF and don't really that much benefit to Ps rfesizing - there maybe but hardly noticeable.

Also I'd rather print a 10x8 @ 240ppi without resizing than a 10x8 upressed.

Even at 240ppi you won't see any difference top one printed at 300ppi.