Two French Teardrops

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited April 10, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
It's not too hard to visualize why these cars came to be called "Teardrops" in the automotive world. Many consider them to be the ultimate expression of elegant styling in the later 1930's....when the French cars, in general, had reached the pinnacle in that regard.

This one is a 1938 Talbot Lago 150 C Speciale Coupe

831831638_b2BJc-XL.jpg

831831755_Tme9X-XL.jpg

This is a 1938 Talbot Lago 150 C SS. This one is quite special. It was purposely built to race in the 1939 Le Mans race. It was built to ride a little lower for better aerodynamics, had a rear window that could open for better ventilation ( the only one ever made with this feature ), and a had a few other mods to make it more durable for racing. As a concession to its owner, it also has a heart-shaped sun roof.

831831849_kzteT-XL.jpg

831831930_6HLGK-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2010
    Now that is a neat looking car. Wonder how fast it could go.
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2010
    Howdy Tom,

Oh My, what a piece of Art, can't believe they'd be racing something as
    beautiful and I'll bet as expensive as this one is.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • imagesofhimimagesofhim Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2010
    Stunning (photos as well as the cars)!!! Here's a bit more info on them---http://www.sportscarmarket.com/profiles/2005/December/Etceterini/index.html
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

Images of Him Photography
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2010
    Hi Mary,

I'm not sure how fast these cars were. I'd guess somewhere in the 120 MPH range...but that's purely a guess.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited April 10, 2010
    Hi Craig,

No question, these cars are true pieces of art. When new, they were expensive....today they easily get into the $3 million range. Most of the original buyers ( of cars of this ilk ) were well-to-do sportsmen who often elected to race their toys. This was a time when many of the " privileged " class fancied themselves as drivers....albeit at the amateur level. Quite a few of them killed themselves when they got in over their head and out-drove their capabilities.

Tom
    edited April 10, 2010
    Hi Marjohn,

Thanks for looking in and for the site for additional info.

Tom
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2010
    Gorgeous styling!

Nice job!

(dig the semaphore trafficators… thumb.gif )

Thanks for sharing!

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited April 10, 2010
    Great pics of gorgeous cars. clap.gif

One question that will display my total ignorance of vintage cars: how come the steering wheel is on the right side? Was it made for Brits? headscratch.gif
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2010
    Richard. In the world today, England and Japan are the last hold-outs of right-hand drive (RHD) vehicles. Back in the '30s, many other European countries were also RHD. In fact, the very earlierst of American cars - 1890s and into the early 1910s, but after tiller steering (which was normally centrally located)) were also RHD.

I don't know exactly when each country changed over to LHD, but either France was still RHD at the time this car was made or the car was built for export to England or another RHD country.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2010
    Tom. Absolutely beautiful!! Talbot-Lagos are another of my favorite French cars. Especially their '30s cars.

Wonderful photos! thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited April 10, 2010
    Hi Wil,

Thanks for looking in.

Tom
    edited April 10, 2010
    Hey Richard,

I'm not entirely certain, but I believe France was still RHD at the time these cars were made. All the French cars I can think of that were contemporary to these Talbot-Lagos are all RHD. I believe France changed over right after the war. Someone else may can enlighten us further.

Tom
    edited April 10, 2010
    Hi Lee,

The French turned out some truly spectacular cars in the '30s. These Teardrops rank as some of the best of the best.....styling and panache that's unequaled but by a few. I'll forever be thankful for you turning me on to the allure of this generation of automobiles.

Tom