Digital backgrounds

r9jacksonr9jackson Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
edited April 9, 2010 in People
I have done this head shot and wonder if there is a way to make it appear to have more separation from the digital background. The shot was originally done, at the customers request, on a white background and I photoshopped in the digital background. Or, does this look OK?
I know I should have shot it with a muslin backdrop and proper lighting but I'm just starting out and have a limited budget for the right lighting and backdrops.

[IMG][/img]831854505_ECWHa-M.jpg

Comments

• kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2010
    Honestly, at first glance this looks like a lit muslin and classic headshot. No problems with separation in my book but I'm no pro! :D
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2010
    Personally, I think it looks pretty good - just the bright greens in the background are competing for attention. I think if you perhaps darken it, it will help with blending as well.
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2010
    Maybe some desaturation of the background would help.
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2010
    Separation and blur is fine...choice of color....not good. For a business man's portrait, something a bit more upscale for the bg is required. Also, bring the exposure up on your subject....it's down about 2/3rds of a stop.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • MacushlaMacushla Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2010
    I don't care for the green either. Maybe a nice dignified mottled gray? Otherwise it looks great.

I'm new and don't have any backgrounds either. How did you add the background?
  • SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2010
    Hope you don't mind...I desaturated the background and did a mild levels adjustment. That seems to help.
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • r9jacksonr9jackson Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2010
    Thanks
    Swartzy wrote:
    Separation and blur is fine...choice of color....not good. For a business man's portrait, something a bit more upscale for the bg is required. Also, bring the exposure up on your subject....it's down about 2/3rds of a stop.
    Swartzy,
    Thanks for the tips. I looked at your site and I am impressed, you are great.

I agree about the green color, I also tried a golden background in another iteration. When you say say upscale, does that mean more plain, like a solid background?
    I agree about the 2/3rds of a stop and had not seen that until you mentioned it.
  • r9jacksonr9jackson Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2010
    Surfdog wrote:
    Hope you don't mind...I desaturated the background and did a mild levels adjustment. That seems to help.
    Danny,
    That really improves it, thank you. This is why I love SmugMug. So many people with ideas that improve each of us in our craft.
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2010
    I agree with everyone so far. I would use a dark grey or blue instead of the green. But, the separation does look pretty good.

If you're on a budget... make your own backdrops. Take some spray paint to some bedsheets! Its cheap, is effective, and looks good most of the time.
    Jer