831940695_TFWUr-XL.jpg

Comments

• bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2010
    Nice capture, light, smoke, and his tenacity :D

I would of cropped the pole
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2010
    Very, very nice. I love the composition, the color and the dof. I wouldn't change a thing.

Btw, congratulations on your strong showing in the lastest dGrin Challenge!! :ivar :ivar :ivar

Virginia

Email
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2010
    bfjr wrote:
    Nice capture, light, smoke, and his tenacity :D

I would of cropped the pole

I really try to stick with standard crops, so I don't think cropping the pole would work as I'd then lose the heads of the patrons in the back. Thanks for the suggesting.
    flyinggina wrote:
    Very, very nice. I love the composition, the color and the dof. I wouldn't change a thing.

Btw, congratulations on your strong showing in the lastest dGrin Challenge!!

Virginia

Thanks Virginia.
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2010
    I like this one. You captured his complete absorption with his eating and his enjoyment of the dish.

Must be dog... rolleyes1.gif
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2010
    I like this shot. Pure curiosity - why did you opt for colour in this case?
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2010
    Hi Jenn,
    The poor guy looks famished, he's scalding his tongue to get to the food.
    I like how his hand is curled up into a fist, almost fighting the pain of the burn in his mouth.

I like this in color btw--but of course I'm always curious to see how the b&w version would work.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited April 13, 2010
    Hi Jenn,
    I like how his hand is curled up into a fist, almost fighting the pain of the burn in his mouth.

I like this in color btw--but of course I'm always curious to see how the b&w version would work.

I didn't notice his hand Liz. You're right of course. It does look like he's trying to bear the temp of the food. Good observation!
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer

patti hinton photography
    edited April 13, 2010
    Patti wrote:
    I like this shot. Pure curiosity - why did you opt for colour in this case?

I'm working on seeing opportunities that can use form, texture and colour. Sorta trying to expand my visual vocabulary. For some reason, I really liked the teal colour and pattern in the table. The bowls had a character to them that I felt I might lose if I went B&W. Basically the overall colour palette seemed complimentary. I also thought his energy could sustain the composition despite the focus B&W can bring.

But at the time I was working on it, I probably wasn't thinking about it too much. Just felt right. ne_nau.gif
    edited April 13, 2010
    Hi Jenn,

I'll do a B&W version to see how it might work later this week*. Nice catch on the hand under the table. I don't normally notice a lot of the detail when I'm taking street shots. I'm generally just reacting to strong emotions and/or lighting.

*I'm rendering a new version of the slideshow and it takes time... Hope to post it for comment in a hour or so then off to bed.
    edited April 13, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    I'm working on seeing opportunities that can use form, texture and colour. Sorta trying to expand my visual vocabulary. For some reason, I really liked the teal colour and pattern in the table. The bowls had a character to them that I felt I might lose if I went B&W. Basically the overall colour palette seemed complimentary. I also thought his energy could sustain the composition despite the focus B&W can bring.

But at the time I was working on it, I probably wasn't thinking about it too much. Just felt right. ne_nau.gif

Interesting. I've often wondered how often and how many members go more by intuition/instinct than actual analysis of what's going to work.

patti hinton photography