Options

Black and White w/ one item colored?

HomebrewHomebrew Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited April 13, 2010 in Finishing School
HELP...

I know how to get a photo into black and white mode, But I've seen people add color to , say: a flower, or lips, or something special within the picture.

I have a copy of element v.8

Obviously, I have alot to learn.

Thanks in advance.

cheers!:D

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited April 9, 2010
    Hi Homebrew and welcome to Dgrin wave.gif. I moved your post to Finishing School, where I think you'll get a better response. Don't be surprised if some people tell you that you shouldn't do selective color even if you know how. mwink.gif
  • Options
    jaharris1001jaharris1001 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2010
    an easy way to do it it to take your color photo to photoshop and modify as you like, then make a duplicate layer, convert that duplicate layer to b&w, whatever method you use, then take your eraser tool and go over the area that you want the color to shine through, flower or whatever, the underlying layer will come through in color where your eraser was applied,, have fun thumb.gif
    "I'm growing older,, but not up"
    Jimmy Buffet
  • Options
    JeroenJeroen Registered Users Posts: 447 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2010
    Take a colour photo.
    Add a Black&White adjustment layer.
    Block the part of the photo in that B&W layer by brushing black on it's mask.
    That masked part will become coloured again.
  • Options
    HomebrewHomebrew Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited April 12, 2010
    Jeroen wrote:
    Take a colour photo.
    Add a Black&White adjustment layer.
    Block the part of the photo in that B&W layer by brushing black on it's mask.
    That masked part will become coloured again.

Thanks everyone..................I'll give it a try next time I have some free time on the PC..

Great Site!thumb.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 12, 2010
    There is always more than just one way to perform a task in PS.

For selective color, I use ctrl-J to create a new layer from the background layer, and convert this new layer to B&W via the technique you prefer, Channel Mixer or B/W adjustment layer.

I then select the upper layer with the History brush connected to the background layer, and paint back in the original color. Not that much different from the eraser tool - just seems easier to control in my hands.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    r00t4rd3dr00t4rd3d Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 13, 2010
    I use a selection tool and freehand select the bike , copy it and paste it onto the B/W.

Original :

ridingsmokeymountains.jpg

Bike cropped out :

ridingsmokeymountains.png

Original to B/W :

59815639.jpg

Bike pasted on B/W as new layer , complete :

cmplt.jpg

:D
  • Options
    rdallandrdalland Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2010
    r00t4rd3d wrote:
    I use a selection tool and freehand select the bike , copy it and paste it onto the B/W.

:D
    I use the selection tool as well. I usually just "invert" the selection, and convert that to black and white. This leaves my original selection in color.

Here's a quick sample;

740732280_iFzBA-M.jpg

Are there any real advantages to working in layers in this case?
  • Options
    r00t4rd3dr00t4rd3d Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 13, 2010
    Well when you paste something on as a new layer you can clean it up alittle better if it needs it. Notice in between the spokes in my cropped out motorcycle(pic #2) , you can still see green grass. Now cause its a new layer I just used the eraser tool to go and clean out in between the spokes instead of using the selection tool which would take for ever.

With some objects the select and invert method will work fine , but if the object has holes threw it where you should be able to see B/W threw it , I find layers works the best.

I hope you kinda get what I mean.

thumb.gif
  • Options
    rdallandrdalland Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2010
    r00t4rd3d wrote:

I hope you kinda get what I mean.

thumb.gif
    I see what you mean.

I usually use shift and the magic wand to add to the selection in the case of spokes, etc.

My attempts have been kind of "quick and dirty". I see where using layers will allow me to clean things up.