New PSP edition

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited September 14, 2005 in Finishing School
Okay, I am one of those rebel types that uses Paint Shop Pro rather than PSCS or even elements (have Elements 2 and 3 from bundles, have never bothered installing them). I really like PSP and find I can do more than I ever wanted with PSP 9. The new upgrade,
http://www.corel.com/promotions/psp_launch/pspx_1/index_cad.html

has a couple of additional items that will get me buying, I think: Greeting card and calendar page templates!

Just an FYI - and if this belongs in darkroom gear, please move it over there....

ann

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited August 12, 2005
    'bout time
    Ann, Thanks for alerting us to this. We knew Corel wouldn't wait long to mark the product with their own name. A lot looks the same with X as in 9. But... 16-bit editing is what everybody has been demanding and they now finally support this. I wonder how deep the 16-bit support goes - and what tools are still 8-bit.

RAW is better, since they've partnered with Pixmantec RawShooter Essentials. 16-bit there too? I'll have to look into this a bit more. The reviews for RSE have been very favorable. When 9 came out with their own RAW engine, it was a complete joke. That mistake alone drove many to PSCS in a heartbeat.

Do you think they'll offer up a cheap upgrade from my ver. 7.04? lol3.gif

Now, where on earth did you pick up on that PSP X link above? It's not menu'd at Corel, nor is it searchable at Google Advanced Search. ne_nau.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited August 13, 2005
    Hmm...Beyond PS looks like a good place for this one.

Oh, David. I can assure you that those google thingys are efficient
    crawlers :D

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    Now, where on earth did you pick up on that PSP X link above? It's not menu'd at Corel, nor is it searchable at Google Advanced Search. ne_nau.gif
    Hey David - I got it in an email offering me the cheap upgrade!
    Ian, thanks for moving it.

ann
  • NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    Ann, I'm a PSP rebel too, starting with it 5 years ago for graphics. I'm hooked on 9 with its Backlight, Clarify, Burn/soften/sharpen/lighten brushes, and the camera noise removal is an instant fix for portraits that makes skin look awesome getting rid of flaws. Its well worth the cheap price just for those things alone. And converting tutorials from PS aren't that hard at all, in most cases making for less steps.

Its really a nice set up for those that can't afford Photoshop7. I love all the scripts for frame/shadows/trims too. The less clicks the better! ;~) After 5 years on the PC, I am all for LESS work in here!thumb.gif

Got the X offer too. I wondered if it was an upgrade to 9, and what all would change. I hate flopping from one program to another to finish something. If you don't mind, will you let me know how it is? Thanks.
    Linda

Ann McRae wrote:
    Hey David - I got it in an email offering me the cheap upgrade!
    Ian, thanks for moving it.

ann
  • behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    Hmmmm............looks like I got a better deal than you did Ann. I wonder why they would have two different upgrade deals.

http://www.corel.com/promotions/psp_launch/pspx_1/index.html

Bear
    edited August 19, 2005
    I get to pay more for the pleasure and priveledge of living in this frozen wasteladn called Canada - mine is $80 cdn plus tax, about $8 too much for straight conversion price.

sigh.
    behr655 wrote:
    Hmmmm............looks like I got a better deal than you did Ann. I wonder why they would have two different upgrade deals.

http://www.corel.com/promotions/psp_launch/pspx_1/index.html

Bear
  • behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:
    I get to pay more for the pleasure and priveledge of living in this frozen wasteladn called Canada - mine is $80 cdn plus tax, about $8 too much for straight conversion price.

sigh.
    Ok, I see that now. I guess it costs a little more to ship via dog sled. :D

Bear
  • Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2005
    Help converting from PS 6.01 to PSP 9
    Is this a good place for help with this?

Would have to look it up if you want exact dates. But, a few months ago I upgraded to WordPerfect Office 12 (From WordPerfect Office 7 Professional) and then shortly thereafter got an offer to upgrade to WordPerfect Office 12 - Small Business Edition which INCLUDES PSP 9 for $49 US with free shipping! As I had been looking for a cheap way to get PSP 9 (things I had seen about features really appealed to me) I took it!!!

I have really enjoyed some of the features that it has; BUT they use different terms for some of the things that I am familiar with in PS. I did printout the 502 page PSP manual that is on the disk. What I am still wishing for is a list of equilivent terms.

I did wind up working with support over the RAW converter and it turns out I will need a new computer before I can use that. I am still using a 400 MHz Pentium II runnning Win98se. It turns out that even though they say it runs on Win98se the RAW converter does not work. So, definitely no version X for me until I do computer shopping.

Jane
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    For conversions, you might try asking your questions at a PSP specific forum, such as those found over at:

http://www.pspug.org

You'll need to register, but I'l bet that searching will turn up something first.

Jane B. wrote:
    Is this a good place for help with this?
    Would have to look it up if you want exact dates. But, a few months ago I upgraded to WordPerfect Office 12 (From WordPerfect Office 7 Professional) and then shortly thereafter got an offer to upgrade to WordPerfect Office 12 - Small Business Edition which INCLUDES PSP 9 for $49 US with free shipping! As I had been looking for a cheap way to get PSP 9 (things I had seen about features really appealed to me) I took it!!!

I have really enjoyed some of the features that it has; BUT they use different terms for some of the things that I am familiar with in PS. I did printout the 502 page PSP manual that is on the disk. What I am still wishing for is a list of equilivent terms.

I did wind up working with support over the RAW converter and it turns out I will need a new computer before I can use that. I am still using a 400 MHz Pentium II runnning Win98se. It turns out that even though they say it runs on Win98se the RAW converter does not work. So, definitely no version X for me until I do computer shopping.

Jane
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    Ann McRae wrote:
    this frozen wasteladn called Canada

sigh.

yabbut you have peameal bacon :food
  • FrancoisFrancois Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2005
    Good thread title !!! thumb.gif:D

I just upgraded from my PSP8.... I am learning CS2, but have been using PSP for longer than I care to remember.... I have seen what can be achieved with CS2 in a workshop, but can figure it out a lot easier in PSP since I have been using it for so long.

Trouble now is... can I learn BOTH !!?? Yikes, too many nice tools in the box !! rolleyes1.gif
    Francois A. Dumas
    Founder
    Silver Cloud Publishing
    fssupport.smugmug.com
    edited September 14, 2005
    andy wrote:
    yabbut you have peameal bacon :food
    I just am not as fond of peameal (back) bacon as I am sunshine and warmth!!!!