Evening Pastels

jaharris1001jaharris1001 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
edited April 12, 2010 in Landscapes
hey guys,, relatively new to these forums, first landscape post here,, this is a shot taken from Blowing Rock Preserve in Jupiter Florida, taken late one evening, there was a fire to the West of me which put smoke into the air making for an interesting sky that night,, taken with a Canon 40D, Canon 10-22 wa with a Singh Ray warming polarizer, tripod mounted,
6 sec exp, f 11, ISO 100
your comments are greatly appreciated

4433967110_969e3bcd00_b.jpg
"I'm growing older,, but not up"
Jimmy Buffet

Comments

• JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2010
    nice
    That's really beautiful, great color in the sky, and great reflection on the sand, very calming.

I find myself distracted by the rock on the right though, I'm asking myself 'if that a coquina? are those fossils?", but I doubt the average viewer would be distracted like that, and if you crop it out you lose the V in the sky
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • jaharris1001jaharris1001 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2010
    thanks for the comment kolibri, I thought about the crop too but as you stated it would throw off the balance and loose the nice coloration at the top so I left it in,, sometimes you gotta take what you get out there :D Thanks again for looking and commenting thumb.gif
    Jimmy Buffet
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2010
    That's a GORGEOUS shot. Love the colors and the comp. :D

Cheers,
  • AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2010
    shniks wrote:
    That's a GORGEOUS shot. Love the colors and the comp. :D
    Cheers,
    15524779-Ti.gif. I might be tempted to crop the foreground rock but it doesn't bother me that much.
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • Alpha_PlusAlpha_Plus Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2010
    Beautiful! clap.gifclap.gif

With the rock on the right, I would agree that it can be a little distracting. With those kind of problems, it's best to look out for them on location. If you had spotted that on the beach it would have been easy to step to the left a little and still get your sky in. That's just my thoughts.. but top shot!! thumb.gif
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Induro CT-014 Tripod
    karllindsayphotography.com | Photos on Facebook | 500px
  • jaharris1001jaharris1001 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2010
    thanks for the comments everyone,, much appreciated :D
    Jimmy Buffet
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2010
    I think cropping the image would be a mistake - it's gorgeous as is. But, for elements I find to be distracting, I do a very gentle burn, working under the theory that darker elements tend to draw attention less than do brighter elements. Just a thought.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 12, 2010
    Really sweet shot. Don't change a thing.
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2010
    Very nice work.

-
    Anybody can do it.
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2010
    I think cropping the image would be a mistake - it's gorgeous as is. But, for elements I find to be distracting, I do a very gentle burn, working under the theory that darker elements tend to draw attention less than do brighter elements. Just a thought.

Beautiful photo, I love the subtle colors. I also like the burn idea to make the rock on the right less distracting.