Four from this afternoon.

tomhoopertomhooper Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited April 13, 2010 in Holy Macro
Had to go do some referral surgeries today but got home in time to get out and shoot a little. Wind was still up a little but not too bad.
Plan to spend most of the day tomorrow shooting bugs and things.

All shot with Canon XSi, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Canon MT-24EX Macro Twin Lites (1/2 power both heads), mono-pod, EXIF embedded.

First is a Lucilia sp. or Green Bottle Fly.
greenbottlefly492010cropweb.jpg

Next three are of a leafhopper that I have never seen before. Paraulacizes irrorata or Speckled Sharpshooter Leafhopper. Thought it was interesting.
speckledsharpshooterleafhopper492010cropweb.jpg

speckledsharpshooterleafhopperangletopview492010cropweb.jpg

speckledsharpshooterleafhoppertopview492010cropweb.jpg

Thanks for looking and as always C&C is more than welcome.

Hoop
Thomas Hooper
Gary, Texas
Tom Hooper's Homepage
Hoop's Photography Blog
Canon Gear

Comments

• mariapmariap Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited April 9, 2010
    Did you just use the 100mm? I have the same lens and don't see how you get this from that lens? Sorry if I sound ignorant (novice macro photographer here). Nice pics!

Maria
  • tomhoopertomhooper Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited April 9, 2010
    Shot with just that lens. I do use extension tubes from time to time, but not on these shots. Lighting is key also. You really need to keep the aperture fairly small. I usually shoot my macros at f/11 and anywhere from 1/200-1/500 sec. At that speed and aperture you almost have to have some lighting. I also use either a tripod or mono-pod when I can. Most people starting out in macro start with static objects like flowers, etc. That way you can concentrate on focus and exposure. After you get more comfortable move up to moving objects like insects. My advise. Follow the three P's. Practice, practice, practice.
    Thomas Hooper
    Gary, Texas
    Tom Hooper's Homepage
    Hoop's Photography Blog
    Canon Gear
  • mariapmariap Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited April 9, 2010
    Thanks for the tips! Love the lens - it's one of my favorites!
    tomhooper wrote:
    Shot with just that lens. I do use extension tubes from time to time, but not on these shots. Lighting is key also. You really need to keep the aperture fairly small. I usually shoot my macros at f/11 and anywhere from 1/200-1/500 sec. At that speed and aperture you almost have to have some lighting. I also use either a tripod or mono-pod when I can. Most people starting out in macro start with static objects like flowers, etc. That way you can concentrate on focus and exposure. After you get more comfortable move up to moving objects like insects. My advise. Follow the three P's. Practice, practice, practice.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2010
    LOvely series- that's a big leaf hopper !
    Brian V.
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2010
    Hi Tomhooper!

Nice captures, they look sharp! I think some more thought into the composition would really lift these to another level thumb.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited April 13, 2010