Options

First Wedding -- New Respect

ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
edited April 10, 2010 in Weddings
I am a Nature Photographer (AKA, my subjects don't talk back and do not generally involve cruel, mixed lighting environments), but I agreed to shoot a friend's wedding yesterday. It was my first. I only agreed to do it because they begged, it was a small, casual wedding, and, well, because they were having it at Fenway Park (Boston).

I have new respect for what you guys do. This wedding only involved prep from 10-11, ceremony from 12:30, and reception, onsite, until 4pm. But at the end of the day I was exhausted. And my fingers HURT from rapid-fire button pushing.

I thought it would be easy, outside, under an awning, without harsh sunlight. But, we had bright fog in the background, the couple downhill at the edge of a rail of upperdeck seats, with their faces underneath the overhang. Then the reception was inside a luxury club with a wall of windows lit by the same outside conditions, and dark wood paneling and fluorescent lights.

It was tough.

Just starting to process the pics. We'll see how it goes.

Oh, buy the way, I also only agreed to do it if they let me take another local pro with me as my second shooter, someone who has done this before.

I thought I would pass along a few props for what you guys do!
uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
ackdoc.com

Comments

• Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2010
    Kudos to you for buckin' up and accepting the challenge! Can't wait to see the results. Keep us posted. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2010
    Only a landscape photographer was process this pic first of all the pics, but I thought I would show you my scout picture of "The Church."

832502416_UoRNM-L.jpg

The officiant and the couple stood at the end of this aisle, at the rail. Flash was OK. Curious what your first thoughts would've been to try and get this in-ceremony pic (lighting-wise)?
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2010
    Wow. I mean...wow.
    What an opportunity and what a great setting.

The lighting is really good as is. You were fortunate to have clouds, so no harsh light to deal with. I would use a little fill flash to brighten the faces.

Did I mention wow?
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2010
    Surfdog wrote:
    The lighting is really good as is.

Yes, but that is a 9-exposure HDR of the scene, so it doesn't accurately represent the light. But, had to post it for the wow effect. It was really cool being there!
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2010
    I have a feeling you did just fine.

People who already know how to take good pictures from another genre whatever it may be can generally step right into getting good wedding pictures and get better quickly.

I came from the same background, nature and bird photography.

I still remember that first 10 hour event and how dog tired I was, the all day stress and having to be constantly thinking and always "on" for the crowd.

Well congrats and post some pics.
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2010
    Here's a couple I have processed.

832640718_RUtS4-M.jpg

832642366_xkred-M.jpg

832640577_xXvga-M.jpg

..and another shot of the Church:
    832644062_aGseA-M.jpg

And, let me ask you guys another question, if I might. I often use Miller's Labs for my fine art work (as well as Bay Photo), and I really like a line of albums that Miller's has (flush mount), but they're really expensive. Any other album printers/sources online that you guys use? Thanks!
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2010
    Nice pics! I shot at Fenway once before ... it's a really tough location as you have to work with a lot of backlight, while everybody is standing in the shade ... noooooo fun. rolleyes1.gif
    Did the wedding coordinator take you guys on the field too?
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2010
    Unfortunately, the field was off-limits. I think they were told that upfront. But it was raining so hard that I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have allowed it anyway.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com