20 Minutes At Sunrise

gbtmcdgbtmcd Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
edited May 13, 2010 in Landscapes
I took these about twenty minutes apart. I usually only use one image from a particular scene however this time it was too hard to choose. Both of these were hand held. C&C always welcome. Thanks
Blair McDougall

808966276_iwYyf-XL.jpg

808966293_bAt3u-XL.jpg

This one is from a couple of weeks ago.Hope you enjoy this one as well....It was a very cold night after a warm day. The small waterfall was in my back yard taken early morning.

832526623_hUrmY-XL.jpg

My Smugmug Gallery
http://fogoworkshops.smugmug.com/

My Latest Project
https://www.site.fogoworkshops.com/Home.html

Comments

• stirinthesaucestirinthesauce Registered Users Posts: 293 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2010
    absolutely love that first one! thumb.gif
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2010
    yeah, the first one does it for me as well... the soft pastels really suit the subject...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2010
    absolutely love that first one! thumb.gif
    15524779-Ti.gifclap.gif
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2010
    Wow this is really beautiful. The light was really working for you here... I appreciate the second one so much because of the first shot. Beautiful!!!
  • BBiggsBBiggs Registered Users Posts: 688 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2010
    The first photo is really beautiful and must look great when viewed larger. clap.gifthumb
  • dave6253dave6253 Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2010
    I also prefer the pastel colors of 1. Beautiful Shot!
  • gbtmcdgbtmcd Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2010
    Thank-you for your comments.....I appreciate the feed-back.
    Blair
  • Chris HChris H Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2010
    I hope you don't mind, but I really liked your first image. Just felt it could do with a bit more pop so I added a bit of high pass contrast and tweaked the leves. Let me know what you think.

808966276_iwYyf-XL.jpg<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
    edited April 12, 2010
    Thanks..
    Chris H wrote:
    I hope you don't mind, but I really liked your first image. Just felt it could do with a bit more pop so I added a bit of high pass contrast and tweaked the leves. Let me know what you think.

808966276_iwYyf-XL.jpg<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Hi Chris....Thanks, it really does have more to it. May I ask what you did the high pass with?
  • senorjaxsenorjax Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2010
    I'm not sure that I like the sky in the redo, especially the amount of noise that wasn't there before. Not even sold on the brightness, this image has a muted feel that matches the first photo. I don't mind little bit of sharpness and contrast increase on the shrubbery in front of the barn. Very nice image B.
    Jay
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2010
    #2 for me, but both nice
    Rags
  • senorjaxsenorjax Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2010
    Well, I guess I lied, I actually do like a bit of light in the sky. At least that's how it turned out when I had a go at it as well. Sorry Blair, seems like everybody wants to muck with your wonderful image. If you'd rather not have my version up here let me know and I'll make it disappear.

The noise was still unattractive to me so I selectively sharpened the vegetation and barn in the middle ground without touching the fg snow or the sky in order to keep the noise down as much as possible. Then I did a serious noise reduction of the sky because it looks gauzy and diffuse anyway, and then a less intense noise reduction of the foreground snow so it retained most of it's texture. This is what I ended up with. Again, I'm sorry for mucking it up; it's always some sort of uncomfortable editing someone else's image.

835155244_juzkv-M.jpg
    Jay
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2010
    Yea I like the tweaks Chris applied, it gave elements in the scene more separation. Nice compo.
  • Chris HChris H Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2010
    Sorry, the sky was a bit noisey, I didn't have much time but could probably avoid it with the original photo.

The high pass technique is something I use to create a bit of localised contrast with a lot of control. The workflow in Photoshop is as follows:

1. Hit Ctrl J to create duplicate layer of the original
    2. Image > Adjustements > Desaturate
    3. Filter > Other > High Pass (I usually leave the radius at around 80 for a 10Mp image)
    4. Go to Layer adjustments and select 'hard light'.

It's simply a case then of sliding the opacity slider on the adjusted layer until you get the effect you want.

(works well with portraits by the way!)

Cheers

Chris
    edited April 14, 2010
    Thanks Everybody
    Thank-you for taking the time to comment and play with this image. The things you have said and shown me will help me improve and is very much appreciated.
    Blair McDougall
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    dave6253 wrote: »
    I also prefer the pastel colors of 1. Beautiful Shot!

I agree. The first is my favorite!!