Adorable Carrottops

GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
edited April 11, 2010 in People
A portrait session of a friend's little readheaded girls. What a joy! (the bright sun was a killer but I think I did ok?)
831607800_SNnKP-M.jpg

831608029_q2m6P-M.jpg

Comments

• CaspianCaspian Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2010
    Cute girls, but you're right that the bright sun is tough. You might try getting them into some open shade or defused light. I don't like using flash in "natural" portraits, but I have used it in cases like this to even out the shadows. Were there other pictures in the series?
  • GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2010
    I even used flash on these to try to even out the shadows, but it didn't help much in sunny Santa Barbara. :) There are other photos in the series, but they're in a private client gallery. The shady areas were very dark and the sunny areas very sunny. It was a tough one. Client loved them though, so I guess that's all that matters. :D
    Caspian wrote:
    Cute girls, but you're right that the bright sun is tough. You might try getting them into some open shade or defused light. I don't like using flash in "natural" portraits, but I have used it in cases like this to even out the shadows. Were there other pictures in the series?
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2010
    GoofBckt wrote:
    I even used flash on these to try to even out the shadows, but it didn't help much in sunny Santa Barbara. :) There are other photos in the series, but they're in a private client gallery. The shady areas were very dark and the sunny areas very sunny. It was a tough one. Client loved them though, so I guess that's all that matters. :D

Take them in the shade......regardless of how dark it is.

Up the ISO if needed to get a reasonable shutter speed.

If you can find shade in an area where sunlight is also close at hand (the corner of a building?) you can bounce light in with a sheet of foam core.....for less than $3 at walmart.

Short of that....and short of shade....you need a reflectore set that includes a diffuser.