National Parks, and the wonderful people I share them with....

TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
edited April 12, 2010 in Landscapes
Went to Valley of Fire today (Near Las Vegas)....

833102118_i6NMR-XL.jpg
Aaron Nelson

Comments

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2010
    oh btw, Valley of Fire is a state park...but same point applies....
    Aaron Nelson
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 11, 2010
    I feel your pain, and I love your photo.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 11, 2010
    Priceless. rolleyes1.gif
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2010
    I have already expressed my view on this type of nanny, over protection. Unfortunately it is human nature to seek more power, to implement and enforce rules for the greater good, etc. Please note: I do believe we need to protect these areas, but take a different path.

Without any counter balance I see future park experiences as a very controlled, open from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, stay on the path, keep moving, don't stop, sorry no photography, photos can be purchased along with other souvenirs at the gift shop. There are many legitimate reasons to be in a park or remote wilderness area at all hours of the day or night.

Sam
  • AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2010
    I've seen that kind of behaviour not only when visiting National & State parks in the US but also when visiting parks & monuments in the UK. There seems to a breed of human that whenever they see a "Do Not" sign are genetically required to do what they're told not to. I feel like taking them to the local wildlife park & showing them the "Do Not get out of your car" sign in the drive through lion enclosure. :D
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2010
    833102118_i6NMR-XL.jpg

I know this area all too well. I've stayed in the campground and I've been to the arch both before and after the "do not climb on rock" was added, I even "climbed" through it before the sign was added and I've seen people climbing on it after the addition. The next step is to fence it off...

By the way, I was in Logandale at the fair while you were at VoF, and if you come back to Valley of Fire during May you can find a familiar image for sale at the visitor's center. Our camera club gets to display/sell images every over year and May 2010 is our turn once again. I will have a Subway shot available for purchase (the same one I had at the fair).
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug