New Member Introduction

CaspianCaspian Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
edited April 12, 2010 in People
I joined this group last fall, but I have been mainly a reader until recently. It has occurred to me that this is like moving into a new community and I should take a minute to introduce myself before commenting on other people's work and asking you to comment on mine.

I have enjoyed photography as a hobby for over 30 years. I started with a range finder that didn't have a built-in meter and have worked my way up to a DSLR. Until last year, I mainly took pictures at school events, vacations and that kind of stuff. Last summer, I asked a photographer that we know to take our daughter's senior pictures. She told me that she was booked already and that she thought that I could do it based on what she had seen on my SmugMug site. So, I took my daughter's senior pictures and they turned out OK. A few people saw my daughter's pictures and asked me to do their senior of family pictures and now I have done a few of each.

I have a day job as an attorney for a mid-sized retailer and I am not trying to become a full time photographer. (Go ahead, PM me with your best lawyer joke.) There is so much that I want to learn and so many of you are taking beautiful pictures that will challenge me to keep working harder.

Finally, my screen name is from one of my favorite books, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. But, please feel free to call me by my real name. Funny, the screen name David was taken when I registered last fall. ;) I welcome your comments and criticism, everything from "nice job" to "you should really sell your camera and take up golf."

Here are the pictures that started it all.
694930915_Z3vXw-L.jpg

695091932_GhA6c-L.jpg

She's a pretty girl and I'm a lucky dad.

I look forward to talking with you all.
Thanks,
David

Comments

• slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,215 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2010
    She is a pretty girl, and since she's yours you are definitely a lucky Dad. I can understand why other people want you to do their senior portraits. These turned out very nice.

Welcome to dgrin, btw.

Sherry
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2010
    welcome sir! those are some beautiful shots of a beautiful girlclap.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • ClixphotoClixphoto Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2010
    Welcome David. Good shots and cute daughter. Hope you enjoy and learn as much from these great people as I have.
  • SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2010
    Welcome. I don't think too many people will hold against you that you are a lawyer. The portraits of your daughter look great. Very pretty girl, good exposure & composition. Well done!

Okay, I tried to hold back, but just couldn't help it:

Did you hear about the terrorists who took a whole courtroom full of lawyers hostage?
    They threatened to release one every hour until their demands where met.

rolleyes1.gif
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2010
    Attractive young lady. Nice photos. Welcome.

Sam
  • DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2010
    Great Photos! Welcome to the community!
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2010
    Hi Caspian..
    Great shots and a beautiful daughter! Welcome aboard! You will love being here. I have learned SO much since I joined in September. It is an awesome community *a bit intimidating at times, but it will only make you a stronger photographer. My dh suffers from the same day time profession as you--lol ;) I hope your dreams to go full time pro phog happen quickly for you!!! clap.gif
  • SvennieSvennie Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2010
    Indeed great shoots of a beautiful girl thumb.gif I just looove the DOF :D
  • rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2010
    Welcome to Dgrinn. Wow your daughter is very pretty and you did a great job capturing that beauty. I look forward to seeing more shots from you.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires