Options

Wanting New Glass: Budget around $800

2»

Comments

• Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    I think you'll be okay with the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8. The IQ is excellent and the range is perfect for baseball. It's not the fastest focuser, but you're shooting baseball (outdoors in sunlight) and not basketball or gymnastics. I think the Tamron will excel for that purpose. It's a little big and heavy, but everything that fast at this zoom range will be.
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    Dear DaddyO,
    you are getting impossibly hung up on technical specs.

Decide where you want to improve - portraits or sports. They do not mix without sacrificing quality.
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    My second attempt to point you to the Tamron 70-200 f2.8. Though I'd buy used. Tamron has excellent IQ.

TC's affect IQ and focus speed. How much really depends on the TC quality. Some TCs only work with particular lenses so you have to be extra careful to get the right match-up. Just google TC compatibility chart to see what I mean.

50 1.8's aren't really that great IQ wise. They are loved because of the bang for your buck. 50 1.4's are sometimes worse than the 1.8 but people will sacrifice some IQ for 1.4. And finally something to remember, these IQ comparisons you see everywhere are pixel peeping and excellent images can be obtained from any of this glass.

If you are considering getting a 50 1.8 + TC (~ 70 f2.4) as the option, then I would start to consider the Tamron 28-75mm 2.8. The difference is just half a stop in light, but you don't have to swap the TC out to change your focal length and end up with better over all versatility. I use the Tamron 28-75 2.8 for 90% of all my shooting over all my other L glass. It's light weight, small, and you can get it under $300. Still room to get a 50mm if you like, or save the left over for a telephoto.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    Daddy0Daddy0 Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    My second attempt to point you to the Tamron 70-200 f2.8. Though I'd buy used. Tamron has excellent IQ.

TC's affect IQ and focus speed. How much really depends on the TC quality. Some TCs only work with particular lenses so you have to be extra careful to get the right match-up. Just google TC compatibility chart to see what I mean.

50 1.8's aren't really that great IQ wise. They are loved because of the bang for your buck. 50 1.4's are sometimes worse than the 1.8 but people will sacrifice some IQ for 1.4. And finally something to remember, these IQ comparisons you see everywhere are pixel peeping and excellent images can be obtained from any of this glass.

If you are considering getting a 50 1.8 + TC (~ 70 f2.4) as the option, then I would start to consider the Tamron 28-75mm 2.8. The difference is just half a stop in light, but you don't have to swap the TC out to change your focal length and end up with better over all versatility. I use the Tamron 28-75 2.8 for 90% of all my shooting over all my other L glass. It's light weight, small, and you can get it under $300. Still room to get a 50mm if you like, or save the left over for a telephoto.

Sorry I didn't reply back. I have a sick 2 yr old and I just overlooked your first response. I have looked at the Tamron 70-200. How fast and accurate is the focusing?

You've also mentioned the 28-75mm 2.8. Do I read the above response right in that 90% of all your portrait and wedding work is done with that lens? Which wedding/portrait work on your website did you use that lens with?

You also mentioned buying used. Any suggestions on reputable dealers, etc besides B&H or Adorama? Not much to choose from locally.

Thanks for the help,:D :D
    Jimmie D.
    www.focusedonyourmemories.com

What you see depends on what you're looking for.
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2010
    Daddy0 wrote:
    Sorry I didn't reply back. I have a sick 2 yr old and I just overlooked your first response. I have looked at the Tamron 70-200. How fast and accurate is the focusing?

You've also mentioned the 28-75mm 2.8. Do I read the above response right in that 90% of all your portrait and wedding work is done with that lens? Which wedding/portrait work on your website did you use that lens with?

You also mentioned buying used. Any suggestions on reputable dealers, etc besides B&H or Adorama? Not much to choose from locally.

Thanks for the help,:D :D

90% of the weddings photographs on my site. My second photographer also uses the same lens. I also use a 70-200 and wide angle, but usually only during the ceremony and those would be fairly obvious. 99% of the portrait work. I've tried the 70-200 for portrait work but I'm often in a cramped space. There may be a few shots at a distance with the 70-200.

Anything sports will be 70-200 at least.

The one exception will be the Katie+Adam engagement. This is mostly the 85 1.2. Just because it's new and I'm loving the bokeh.

I've had my 28-75 for about 3 years. The zoom grip is dirty from all the use, but it still functions like new.

I've 'played' with the Tamron 70-200 shortly. I can't speak to focus issues other than it's slower moving and louder motor than the Canon L. The photos I took with it were clearer and had more contrast than my 70-200. I am trying to get the owner to let me do a proper comparison with more subjects and distances. I have talked to one other owner (Nikon version, about 2 years of owning it) and he said he has never experienced a focus issue. The tamron 70-200 has always interested me because of how much I love the 28-75.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    JohnBiggs wrote:

John is dead on the Money with the pixel Peeping!! And I second his cheaper route...you can ask and ask, and until you do some buyin (or renting) and tryin, you'll only have OUR answers. But, most of our answers come from imperial data, and most of us have paid the price to find our mistakes.

The TC overall is a great way to extend the range of any lens you have, and yes, you need to be certain it will work for your particular combo. And yet like someone else suggested, you may have to decide on which you are going after: sports or portrait.

Good Luck~
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2010
    Daddy0 wrote:

Forgot to answer that. I have great luck with ebay. However I know what to look for and I've never been scammed as a buyer. As a seller you can't choose the buyer so it's harder to avoid the scamers.

Craigslist is now my first choice. In my area there is lots going on. Even when it seems dead you can try posting a 'WTB' ad in the for sale section. I've had great luck with that even when it didn't appear anyone was selling. With a WTB ad, you should list the price you will pay which avoids lots of hassle. If you don't list a price, you may actually get fewer responses.

I'd also look here on these boards. Again, you have to be careful though.

Reputable place online? The two you mentioned and KEH.com. KEH is known for delivering above expectations or in other words being very fair with their grading. They also take returns for 14 days if you aren't happy.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    Daddy0Daddy0 Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    Ended up blowing past my original budget and got both the Nikkor 85mm f1.8D and the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif Unless some unknown rich relative dies and leaves me a small fortune, I think I am done for a while. After I play with both for a while and get comfortable with them, I'll post some pics for C&C.

Thanks guys for all the advise.

This forum is definitely the best place to read, shoot and improve on photography skills.clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Jimmie D.
    www.focusedonyourmemories.com

What you see depends on what you're looking for.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,904 moderator
    edited April 22, 2010
    Daddy0 wrote:
    Ended up blowing past my original budget and got both the Nikkor 85mm f1.8D and the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif Unless some unknown rich relative dies and leaves me a small fortune, I think I am done for a while. After I play with both for a while and get comfortable with them, I'll post some pics for C&C.

Thanks guys for all the advise.

This forum is definitely the best place to read, shoot and improve on photography skills.clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Congratulations on the new lenses. That's a very nice combination too. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums