Evening Sunset over the Lake / Early Morning Beach Sunrise

Alpha_PlusAlpha_Plus Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
edited April 13, 2010 in Landscapes
Hi everyone,

Haven't taken many photos for a while. It has been good to get back into it last night and today, even if it has been just to procrastinate from other work.

This is from the sunset last night.

shingles_sunset_1.png

shingles_sunset_2.png

#3 - I posted this one last night here but in case you didn't see that thread I put it here too.
It is a composition of two shots, 50 minutes apart. The first shot goes on the base layer in Photoshop and the star shot goes on top. I changed the blending mode to 'lighten' which allows the stars to shine through as such. I also deleted everything below the mountains as there are normally plenty of lights across the lake after sunset.
shingles_stars_3.png

And then the sunrise from this morning.
beach_sunrise_2.png

#5 - I don't know how many times I clicked the shutter to try to get the wave splashing in front of the sun but this was as close as I could get.
beach_sunrise_5.png

beach_sunrise_6.png
Karl Lindsay
Nikon D600
Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
Induro CT-014 Tripod
karllindsayphotography.com | Photos on Facebook | 500px

Comments

• JoashotsJoashots Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2010
    Beautiful shots. I like the drama of the waves in #5. Nice blending technique (and description) - I am still daunted by "photoshop" but have been voraciously reading the gobs of info on the various techniques in the finishing school sub forum.
    i try to limit proscrastination by doing most of the work upfront (grads/filters), and swatting it with a little LR goodness. I'm forcing myself to spend more time post processing- Much rather be out clicking. :D
    Joash R

If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. - Samuel Butler
  • Alpha_PlusAlpha_Plus Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2010
    Joashots wrote:
    Beautiful shots. I like the drama of the waves in #5. Nice blending technique (and description) - I am still daunted by "photoshop" but have been voraciously reading the gobs of info on the various techniques in the finishing school sub forum.

Thanks Joash, I used to avoid photoshop too, and did most of my post processing with the simple tools Aperture offers. This also reduces the amount of hard drive space needed, however, I think it's time to upgrade my HD and get a little serious about photo editing.
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Induro CT-014 Tripod
    karllindsayphotography.com | Photos on Facebook | 500px