Options

Does Smugmug resize and compress my photos??

Purrcat1Purrcat1 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited August 17, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Before I upload my photos I resize and compress them for optimal viewing online and in forums. Which means that generally they are resized to no larger than 800x600 and more often at 640x280. I try to keep the file size below 150kb. I'm finding now that my photos seem to be compressed even further and that the image size for posting in large has been reduced. This can degrade what I've worked so hard on. I've always been happy with Smugmug and I can understand if people are uploading the originals, but this doesn't make sense. :dunno

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2005
    yes, and yes - for -L, -M, -S and -Ti filesizes.

the solution to your issue is very simple - since you are concerned with web display and forum usage, and you already resize to 800px or 640px, simply enable originals in the customize gallery setup, and then when you link an image, link the -O image. -O is your exact file as it was on your computer - with zero changes to it.

btw- it makes perfect sense for many folks, who upload full-size original files to smugmug.

cheers
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2005
    I just tried that and it still doesn't show when I click share. The largest size is L. However, if I change it to O instead of L in the URL the original shows up. Is there something else I should do? I used "customize gallery" and made sure view originals was selected.

Jan
    andy wrote:
    yes, and yes - for -L, -M, -S and -Ti filesizes.

the solution to your issue is very simple - since you are concerned with web display and forum usage, and you already resize to 800px or 640px, simply enable originals in the customize gallery setup, and then when you link an image, link the -O image. -O is your exact file as it was on your computer - with zero changes to it.

btw- it makes perfect sense for many folks, who upload full-size original files to smugmug.

cheers
  • Options
    ScalaScala Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2005
    I guess the original doesn't show up in the share screen at all but you can still use the -O URL to share. This is probably to keep people from accidentally pasting 8 megapixel shots around..
    My smugmug site: www.majakorpi.net
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2005
    Scala wrote:
    I guess the original doesn't show up in the share screen at all but you can still use the -O URL to share. This is probably to keep people from accidentally pasting 8 megapixel shots around..

nod.gif

simply change -L to -O purrcat and you're fine.
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2005
    andy wrote:
    nod.gif

simply change -L to -O purrcat and you're fine.
    Okay. Thanks to all!
  • Options
    dave_bass5dave_bass5 Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2005
    Andy. you mentioned to me yesterday about resizing my pics to 800 along the long edge to stop any resizing and to force my pics to show at full size.
    while i had already done that i notice my gallery now has no option for original but that the pic info at the bottom is showing original size: 800px x 531px | current: 600px x 398px
    they all look ok but just wondering is the second figure is the size i should resize to
    here is an example
    http://davepearce.smugmug.com/gallery/734004

i dont get the option to go to -O
    i have cleared my cache and set show originals in gallery prefs but cant see an option to view -O
    Thanks for any help

Dave.