New Macro Lens - First Shots

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited April 16, 2010 in Holy Macro
I was fortunate to receive a new macro lens for my birthday last week! It's the Nikkor 85mm f/3.5 micro. Not the perfect macro glass, but it will serve my purposes I think. (It also gives me a nice length prime for some of my outdoor work.) I can get extenders, so I'd appreciate suggestions on what to get.

It will take some effort to learn to focus this properly, so I know these are lacking in that area. I was more interested in composition and just finding out how close I could get to subjects.

Any comments/suggestions will be welcomed.

Lauren

1. B&W conversion - rain drops on grass
834832910_hWBnn-L.jpg

2. Cola pouring from a can - I shot with one hand and poured with the other
834833762_ZaLCo-L.jpg

3. Bluebonnet and friend
834834783_pDXzW-L.jpg

I used auto ISO on 1, and 3, which created lots of noise. I read Brian's tips about setting ISO 200 and that worked better for the cola shot.

Thanks for looking!

Lauren
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2010
    Congratulations on the lens. Looks as if you're off to a good start. Macro presents its own set of new rules, but it's really fun so have at it!
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2010
    Thanks, Wicked! What, new rules??? Nobody said there'd be new rules . . . I'm still workin' on the old ones. rolleyes1.gif

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • tomhoopertomhooper Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2010
    Looking pretty good for your first shots with a new lens. I can't see the EXIF data so I don't know what your camera settings are but I would suggest you shoot on manual and start somewhere around ISO 200 (you already changed that), f/11, 1/250sec. You will need some flash at those settings probably and even if you are in bright light, fill flash never hurts. Start there and work one way or the other. I tend to use a tripod/mono-pod whenever possible. Works better for me. I also only use manual focus. The key is find out what works best for you and practice, practice, practice.
    Thomas Hooper
    Gary, Texas
    Tom Hooper's Homepage
    Hoop's Photography Blog
    Canon Gear
    edited April 12, 2010
    Tom, thanks for the tips. I'm trying both auto focus and manual, but I see where manual will most likely work better. I've tried only handheld so far, but will experiment with a tripod also. I have a tabletop one that might work for some things. I will post more when I have a few to offer.

Thanks for commenting.

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2010
    Excellent start with the new lens !

Brian V.
  • Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2010
    Yeah...rules, huh? It's a matter of checking things you don't ordinarily need to check for with every single shot you take. Depth of field is one. Camera shake is another. Extraneous details (leaves, pine needles, roots, fuzz, lint, hair, etc.) that can 'appear' in your finished image when you didn't 'see' it when you took the shot. Stuff like that. Here's some things pertaining to how I shoot macro (and I'm not 1/2 as good as other folks on this forum, so take it for what it's worth) -

tripod or bag of barley for camera steadiness - ziplock back of barley gets me on the ground and is maneuverable for those millimeters that count.

manual focus - well, ok, so I use a manual (legacy) lens, even if I didn't I'd put it in manual anyway (which I've done for close work with an AF lens)

Live view magnification - if your camera has the ability to zoom in live view use it. certain elements need critical focus and this is the only way to get it.

reflector or fill flash - I'm still experimenting here since my ring flash is an old one and doesn't communicate with my camera - it is trial and error and building an understanding of how my flash works, but it's becoming essential.

mirror lock-up or shutter delay - lets the vibrations settle out before firing the shutter. sometimes I use a cable release as well to avoid actually touching the camera and making it move

notice - really notice elements in the frame and move or remove items that will distract attention from the thing I'm photographing. Since we see in 3 dimensions and the camera only in 2, things we see separation in are only separated in that dimension the camera doesn't convey. check carefully and adjust accordingly.

anyway...that's all I can think of right now. am going in the woods today to hunt wildflowers, so will be trying to remember and apply all the macro specific stuff I can.
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited April 13, 2010
    congrats Lauren, a fgood start.

just shoot loads, learn to hold camera still by bracing arms/elbows on anything stable.

phil
    edited April 14, 2010
    Thanks, Phil. I have trouble with camera shake when I shoot landscapes--this is gonna be hard!

Can ya'll suggest some good lighting techniques, starting with what to buy? I have nothing but the in-camera flash on my D80.

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • wrzwaldowrzwaldo Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited April 15, 2010
    Nice work! I really like the cola!

When you think you have a grasp on the new rules you can toss in the extras...

I'm working on focus stacking right now.
    edited April 16, 2010
    Thanks. The cola shot was my fave too.

Since you mentioned focus stacking . . . how does it work? Can someone point me to a good reference, or give me a quick-and-dirty on how it works? :D

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2010
    Belated happy birthday! Have fun with your new toy! I'm liking the first efforts. clap.gif
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2010
    I think Brian has posted a tutorial on focus stacking, but you can also get a quick idea by looking at the brief documentation on the Zerene site. Zerene is what many of us use for stacking.
    edited April 16, 2010
    Thanks, Paddler--I'll check it out.

Thanks, Ceci! Big party on Sat night if you wanna come to Texas! :D

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com