Church on a lake at sunset

AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
edited April 18, 2010 in Landscapes
Here are a few of Normaton church at sunset.
I spent 2 hours in this location and got some that I really like.
Any & all c&c appreciated - even if its "get your eyes tested!"

832872902_8oV9c-L-1.jpg

832874271_nT9iK-L-1.jpg

832876743_ZUuyD-L-1.jpg

832877771_C53v7-L-1.jpg

832878549_U5m8f-L-1.jpg

832882347_SZXod-L-1.jpg

The next 2 are my faves from this set.
832883333_8zuoN-L-1.jpg

832884090_Uoqns-L-1.jpg

833265970_aMjQF-L.jpg

Thanks for looking

Peter
Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 12, 2010
    AndMan wrote:

The next 2 are my faves from this set.
    832883333_8zuoN-L-1.jpg

832884090_Uoqns-L-1.jpg
    Yup, I agree. In the other shots, the church is the central focal point, but it's got no lighting on it. It looks like you've done some HDR work in some of these shots, so I'm wondering if you could have brought up the exposure on the church. Next time maybe you can do an exposure from just the church and manually blend it in with the darker sky and water. It looks like in these two shots that some lights in the tower were turned on, and that helped immensely. Plus the colors, smooth water and reflections are the best in those shots as well. And you've featured the church more prominently. The last shot is very noisy and looks like it had it's exposure pushed. It's a great shot otherwise.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2010
    #7 is my fav. I love how the church is so well balanced in the photo. Beautiful reflection and soft colors. Well done.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2010
    It's a very nice series, but I actually prefer #2. I like the colors in the sky and the reflections on the water, and I think the church in silhouette is nicer than the yellowish hue it has in the later shots. The stillness of the water in #7 makes it a very elegant shot but I don't like the church as much as #2. It certainly looks like a beautiful place to photograph. I can see why you spent 2 hours there!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2010
    kdog wrote:
    Yup, I agree. In the other shots, the church is the central focal point, but it's got no lighting on it. It looks like you've done some HDR work in some of these shots, so I'm wondering if you could have brought up the exposure on the church. Next time maybe you can do an exposure from just the church and manually blend it in with the darker sky and water. It looks like in these two shots that some lights in the tower were turned on, and that helped immensely. Plus the colors, smooth water and reflections are the best in those shots as well. And you've featured the church more prominently. The last shot is very noisy and looks like it had it's exposure pushed. It's a great shot otherwise.

Cheers,
    -joel
    Thanks for the feedback Joel I appreciate it. None of these were HDR but I did manipulate the RAW input, which explains the last one - it was pretty dark & I was shooting all manual which looked ok when chimped but needed pushing when processed. If I get back (its a 3 hour round trip) I'll bracket on the church to try & get more detail. The lights on the church tower didn't come on until it was past official sunset.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
    edited April 18, 2010
    Doug Solis wrote:
    #7 is my fav. I love how the church is so well balanced in the photo. Beautiful reflection and soft colors. Well done.
    Thanks Doug.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

edited April 18, 2010
    redleash wrote:
    It's a very nice series, but I actually prefer #2. I like the colors in the sky and the reflections on the water, and I think the church in silhouette is nicer than the yellowish hue it has in the later shots. The stillness of the water in #7 makes it a very elegant shot but I don't like the church as much as #2. It certainly looks like a beautiful place to photograph. I can see why you spent 2 hours there!

Lauren
    Thanks for the feedback Lauren, the yellow hue from the lights is a little off putting but is pretty accurate, it certainly makes the place more interesting. The 2 hours shooting was fine - it was the mile+ walk back to the car with no lights (or torch) that was the really fun part. :D
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page