Flowers - testing new flash

DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
edited August 15, 2005 in Wildlife
Flowers are nice to shoot and you can tell your wife that you bought them just for her. :D

Camera - Canon 10D
Flash - Canon MT-24EX
Lens - Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
Settings - 135mm, 1/100 second, f/36 for both shots

31996970-L.jpg

32001455-L.jpg
Dixie
Photographs by Dixie
| Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!

Comments

• DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2005
    Finished going through all of them. Adding two more.

32017078-M.jpg

32014830-M.jpg
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2005
    Looks like the falsh did pretty good there. The subjects are well lit and not blown out.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited August 14, 2005
    Thanks, Harry. I had a couple in the series that were underexposed, but none that really went the other way. I went manual with all the camera settings and E-TTL with the flash and they worked well together.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2005
    Interesting, thanks for posting these, Dixie. I wonder what it would look like with a warming filter on the flash?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2005
    Dixie, interesting that you were testing a new flash. I bought a Sigma Super, the limit of my finances, for this trip. Have had more problems with using it. Probably my fault, have no idea.

I can't type well enough on this keyboard to write long, but I hAVE many blurred, photos with "movement", etc. And some spot on.

AND, my on camera flash will no longer work, so I couldn't resort to that. It won't pop up. Don't know the sigma users, so I guess I will have to call Sigma re flash, but I don't even know what to ask them. Will definitely have to call Canon re pop up flash. This flash is the ETTL 2 dedicated to the Canon, was on AV (bad choice for situation) and the shutter priority one.

I had just gotten it on Wed, left for trip on Thurs evening. Did not really test it, was busy. Thought it would work, but if I had taken a photo of say a flower, it might have worked???? This problem was a some time thing. And it appeared to work fine when I first tested it here at Julie's.

I did get the photos I needed, but I am disappointed in the flash in general, got it at Amazon. I can't afford the Canon, at this pt, wish I could.

Love your flowers.

ginger (took photos of horses while other family women did a pottery thing. I am not into pottery things. I was so excited to see the horses!) Also took lots of avail light photos of "my" women doing pottery. A first grader all the way up to my ex husband's current wife: my age (65)

no birds, not a single one, a yellow one was at julie's feeder, but flew away post haste
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited August 14, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Interesting, thanks for posting these, Dixie. I wonder what it would look like with a warming filter on the flash?
    PS CS2 photo filters - 85 warming @ 70% density
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    edited August 14, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    .....but I hAVE many blurred, photos with "movement", etc. And some spot on.

Love your flowers.
    Ginger, I have found that I have terrible results when trying to go Av using a flash. I will sometimes go Tv or P. Where I have found my best results is to go manual on the camera and E-TTL on the flash. That way I can control both the DOF and blur. I know that the flash should "freeze" the action, but like you I have had blurred flash photos - especially when using flash as a fill.

When I go manual on the camera and E-TTL on the flash, I have found that I have the most control and get the greatest number of acceptable shots. I shot some of the flowers from 1/100-1/200 sec with aperture settings ranging from f/9-f/36 using the EF 28-135mm IS USM. Since I was using an on-camera flash and shooting with the camera on manual, I just adjusted the shutter or aperture based on whether I moved closer or farther away from the flower and basically forced the flash to fire at or close to maximum power and then used the histogram to check the exposure. I found this faster and more accurate than trying to meter using my flash meter. Plus, if you are shooting macro/close-up, the flash to subject distance is so short that it makes it very difficult to get good flash meter readings anyway.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the kind comment about the flower shots.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2005
    Great shots thumb.gif. I especially like the first two.

Ginger: As Dixie said, Av is not a good mode to use for E-TTL flash work (Try this site for more info. A lot of words, but good info). I often use P-mode with excellent results. Brian Valentine (Lord Vetinari) uses this flash and I'm sure you've seen his results, so don't write the flash off too soon.

regards
    alan
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited August 15, 2005
    Dixie, these are great. Nice even lighting. Can you rotate the flash heads
    around the ring or are they fixed?

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited August 15, 2005
    Ian, you can rotate the mount that holds the twin heads around the lens attachment ring, rotate each head independently in relationship to one another around the mount itself, and you can adjust the angle of each head as well. Additionally, you have full control over the flash ratio between the two heads as well as any single or mulitiple 580EX, 550EX, and 420EX flashes using the slave mode. The manual says that it will only work using the 550EX as a slave, but I tested the 420EX flashes with it and they are controlled as well.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie