New 5dMarkII videos, "House" finale and "Last 3 Minutes"

hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
edited April 14, 2010 in Cameras
FWIW, this morning I encountered two interesting items: The season finale of "House" has been filmed entirely with a 5d Mark II, and a new Shane Hurlbut film entitled "The Last 3 Minutes".

Shane's film is simply wow!, and a bit of a nostalgic tearjerker:

I wish I had the talent to shoot video like that with my MkII! All the expensive tools in the world do not make an artist ... it takes true talent!
— Henry —
Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.

Comments

• MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2010
    FWIW, this morning I encountered two interesting items: The season finale of "House" has been filmed entirely with a 5d Mark II, and a new Shane Hurlbut film entitled "The Last 3 Minutes".

Shane's film is simply wow!, and a bit of a nostalgic tearjerker:

I wish I had the talent to shoot video like that with my MkII! All the expensive tools in the world do not make an artist ... it takes true talent!

A nugget of the "House" side of it was the director's quote: "...focus was hard with these lenses but more “cine-style” lenses are being made as we speak." in a Q&A on Twitter. http://www.petapixel.com/2010/04/09/house-season-finale-filmed-entirely-with-canon-5d-mark-ii/

I'd sure like to know more about those! :D

Malte
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 13, 2010
    Nice catch. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2010
    Malte wrote:
    A nugget of the "House" side of it was the director's quote: "...focus was hard with these lenses but more “cine-style” lenses are being made as we speak." in a Q&A on Twitter. http://www.petapixel.com/2010/04/09/house-season-finale-filmed-entirely-with-canon-5d-mark-ii/

I'd sure like to know more about those! :D

Malte

Hm, might be Carl Zeiss lenses...

http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2010/02/19/the-big-players-are-coming-to-join-the-hddslr-party-part-i/

Malte
  • WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    Season finale of "House" filmed with 5D
    So...is this the future of TV? If the quality of video is so good then wouldn't this be a cheaper alternative to the equipment in use today?

(if this is in the wrong thread then please move if needed)

House
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 14, 2010
    I merged 2 threads and changed the title. Carry on, I love this stuff. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    Last 3 Minutes had me crying. I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff.

Can't wait to see House, and try to guess the lenses used! :)

I know at least in the wedding (and I assume any other "live" shooting) business, until it's easier to focus then they won't "take off" very quickly. We borrowed a 7d and while it was fun, the constant focus-hunt is tiring on the shooter as well as the viewer.

I don't think network TV and/or movie producers are horribly concerned about cutting costs on the camera, so "cheaper" doesn't matter.

For independant shooters, sure!

I will say that we are expanding into another niche market that is not "live" shooting, and we're getting a 7d to shoot it since we already have the lenses. But this is mostly tripod shooting of a relatively static subject.
    Las Vegas Wedding, Family, and Special Event Photographers.

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
    And a bunch of other stuff ;)