New Camera

2»

Comments

• SoppySoppy Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2010
    The thing is, if I buy the Kx I'll feel like I'm buying another k100d because they are in the same class and seem to be very similar (minus the larger megapixels on the kx). I have also heard the kx can feel kinda cheap and is rather small, and I want my camera to feel sturdy. Also, the kx seems like a beginners/intermediate camera to me and I would like my next camera to be a little more advanced, so I can grow with it a bit. I do plan on keeping the next one for a number of years. I realize I said my budget was $700, but I'm realizing more and more that that is unrealistic to expect what I'm looking for at that price.

So what I have decided to do (I think lol), is save up until Pentax releases another camera, hopefully fixing the high ISO issue on the K7, and then buy a 18-55mm, keep my 70-200mm tamron, and then maybe pick up a cheap prime with manual focus like Grainbelt mentioned (Pretty sure you sold me on Pentax mentioning the backwards compatibility, I had totally forgotten about that). I am alright with waiting because I really don't have an urgent need for the camera, and I would rather have the for my needs and have it last, than be perpetually unsatisfied with some feature about my camera.

So now my only question is, is there anything other than the K7 in it's price bracket that you all would recommend?
    AWS Photographs
    Photography by Alex Sopchak
    Automotive | Portrait | Event
    Hosted by Squarespace 6
  • JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2010
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/dslr-comparison/index.htm

It's a little outdated, but still relavent. I wouldn't worry about the noise.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
    edited April 16, 2010
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/dslr-comparison/index.htm

It's a little outdated, but still relavent. I wouldn't worry about the noise.

Alright well I will remember that. Still going to wait for a bit to see if the price drops, but now I feel less obligated to buy the new one lol.

From what I read, the color reproduction is pretty good on the K7, does anyone have experience with that?

Any lens suggestions to replace the 18-55mm? I would like to cover from 18 (or lower but not necessary) to 70 if possible, but I'm not having much luck finding any in that size...
    AWS Photographs
    Hosted by Squarespace 6
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2010
    Soppy wrote:
    Any lens suggestions to replace the 18-55mm? I would like to cover from 18 (or lower but not necessary) to 70 if possible, but I'm not having much luck finding any in that size...

There are about half a dozen options. Pentaxforums has a large 'reviews' section where users have posted their opinions on various lenses (both Pentax and third-party). Specs can also be found there. I've come very close to buying the Tamron 17-50 but keep adding other things (macro, telephoto, etc) instead of replacing the kit lens.

Zooms In order of increasing cost from B&H (my picks in bold):

Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 $360

Pentax DA 16-45 F4 $390
    Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4 OS $450
    Tamron 17-50 F2.8 $460
    Pentax DA 17-70 F4 $480
    Pentax DA* 16-50 F2.8 $770

Decide if you want more reach or faster, and if you want more reach, the Sigma is a great value but being replaced by the slightly faster stabilized version, not sure what anyone has in stock. B&H is out.
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2010
    Grainbelt wrote:
    There are about half a dozen options. Pentaxforums has a large 'reviews' section where users have posted their opinions on various lenses (both Pentax and third-party). Specs can also be found there. I've come very close to buying the Tamron 17-50 but keep adding other things (macro, telephoto, etc) instead of replacing the kit lens.

Zooms In order of increasing cost from B&H (my picks in bold):

Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 $360

Pentax DA 16-45 F4 $390
    Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4 OS $450
    Tamron 17-50 F2.8 $460
    Pentax DA 17-70 F4 $480
    Pentax DA* 16-50 F2.8 $770

Decide if you want more reach or faster, and if you want more reach, the Sigma is a great value but being replaced by the slightly faster stabilized version, not sure what anyone has in stock. B&H is out.

KEH has a used Sigma 17-70 showing for $299.

Keep in mind, IIRC the Pentax 17-70 f/4 won't autofocus with the K100D unless you have the K100D super.
    edited April 16, 2010
    I'm liking the Sigma 17-70mm. Not sure how I didn't find that. It's a bit expensive, but Sigmas a really good glass are they not? That's a pretty decent aperture on there too. That would make a really great carry around lens, then I'll only need to switch to my Tamron when I have something far I want to shoot.

So lets see, $850 for the K7, $380 for the lens, that totals at $1230... Pricey, but from what you all have said, totally worth it. Hopefully I get a good job this summer lol. Thanks for all your help guys, I'll probably ask you one more time before I take the plunge, to ensure theres nothing newer/better for the same price. Still though, thanks a lot!
    AWS Photographs
    Hosted by Squarespace 6