How to Shoot Author's Dust Jacket Photo

capitoljayhawkcapitoljayhawk Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
edited April 13, 2010 in Technique
A friend of mine is publishing her first book. She lives in DC, and the book is very much about Washington, DC. She has asked me to shoot a photo of her that she might be able to use on the inside flap.

I am having a hard time envisioning what to shoot. It has to be a portrait, but she also wants it to capture something DC-like (capital columns, Supreme Court, etc.) in the background.

A couple of questions:

1. Does anyone have any examples of such work to give me ideas? Or know where I could find good examples on the Internet?

2. I'm struggling in my mind to balance her portrait with trying to capture something fairly sizeable in the background. Any pointers?

3. If you are familiar with DC, any suggestions on where to shoot?

Any other useful advice would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.gaslightphoto.com

Beginning smugmugger.

Comments

• JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2010
    I'd just go to the tidal basin, get a portrait of her fairly shallow and have the monument or jefferson slightly distinguishable. Don't want to make it too much about DC, just a hint of DC in the back.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • capitoljayhawkcapitoljayhawk Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2010
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    I'd just go to the tidal basin, get a portrait of her fairly shallow and have the monument or jefferson slightly distinguishable. Don't want to make it too much about DC, just a hint of DC in the back.

Thanks!

http://www.gaslightphoto.com

Beginning smugmugger.