Help me spend my money!

JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
edited April 15, 2010 in Cameras
OK, here#s the deal. Ever since I got into the DSLR game, all I've had to think about are lenses, tripod accesories, etc. Researching entirely new cameras is something I have gotten rusty at.

A friend of mine is visiting me from the US in 2 weeks. I want to get something from B&H, rather than paying redekulus prices in euros over here, and time is fast running out.

What I really want is one of those Leica digital rangefinders or, failing that, a nice used Epson RD1. Unfortunately, my birthday money is limited to 200 euros (around $270) so that is way off the charts. I can probably lobby my CFO/heterolifepartner/better half to up the ante to $400 if I clean the kitchen regularly and act all civilized and whatnot.

I'm looking for something small that I can carry with me at all times, or take places where I wouldn't want an ostentatious DSLR )i.e. the favelas of Sao Paulo). I#m trying to replicated the utility of my Yashica electro 35, but digital. It doesn#t have to have telephoto, it frankly could even be a prime or fixed lens. I want to get all HCB with it and such.

Here is what I require:

$250-400 price tag
CF card preferably, but not a deal breaker
Manual Controls
Relatively wide
RAW capability
optical viewfinder

Brand is irrelevant.

So, if you have suggestions, please please please give them to me. I know I should look this up on dpreview or something, but I'm out of practice and I am planning a trip to Italy. So I'm busy. I call upon your mad skillz.

Regards,

Justi
Cave ab homine unius libri

Comments

• Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2010
    Well im not getting half of what you just said about getting all HBC and stuff :D but... i´m rather enjoying my new S90 and did enjoy the G10. they dont stand out like a zebra on times square, are full manual, raw and should be had for about that pricerange. headscratch.gif

Have you considered an analog leica? getting all crazy with film and stuff rolleyes1.gif

edit.. i reread your post and now assume you already have a similar analoge camera.. nm the last line then
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2010
    Thanks for the input. I'm actually leaning toward the Canon Powershot G11, but it is out of stock right now, and my window is tight in terms of time.

It looks like optical viewfinders are few and far between. Even the Leica D-Lux and its panasonic equivalent don't have them. BTW, anybody have any experience with these cameras?
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 15, 2010
    Justiceiro wrote:
    ... the Leica D-Lux and its panasonic equivalent ... anybody have any experience with these cameras?

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=124196

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=161115

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=134278
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums