Eastern Sierras, Improvised

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited April 16, 2010 in Landscapes
A few days to return to the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest is a lesson in the tenacity of nature. Even in mid-April when the valley is awash in warm sunlight and the regularity of spring, the mountains hang fast to winter.

835303593_kVXLW-XL-1.jpg

835505463_2aYRg-XL.jpg

835478549_GrWTA-XL.jpg

We braved it for one night, not quite prepared for the sub-freezing mountain air. Star trails were halfhearted because it was just warmer not to be standing out there in the open wind.

835332055_eG2mY-XL.jpg

We descended back to earth to make a Plan B, filling with warming, stick-to-your-ribs country goodness.

835320516_peG2q-XL.jpg

835353187_Q8sgD-XL.jpg

However, Plan B (Mono Lake) proved to be an even poorer choice for two cold, shivering campers.

835368370_gC5Ab-XL.jpg

The wind came howling over the eastern wall of Yosemite and ground the stinging snow into our eyes. I've got nothing against snow or the cold, but not when I'm unprepared for it.

835350202_m7z9S-XL.jpg

It took two days to get home, but I finally remember what it's like to be warm. :lol3

Hope everyone had a great weekend, and those who are in warmer climates are still enjoying the earth slowly bursting back to life.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2010
    It was 100 degrees in DV this weekend :) Wow you got cold stuff! Still, beautiful, Schmoo!
  • SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2010
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2010
    Great stuff Schmoo. The BW pic is great as are the star trails. thumb.gif

Cheers,
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2010
    Schmoo,

Sorry you had such bad weather! Mono Lake sure does look cold.

One thing I always remember.....in the Serra or other high altitude environments ..........in spring and fall, late or early, always be prepared. Always have warm clothing, food, and water.

Should your vehicle fail for any reason (they do fail you know) you should be prepared to be warm fed and hydrated for at least a day or two.

You would be better off forgetting your camera.

Bummer to drive so far and have lousy weather. :cry

Sam
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2010
    I'd actually prefer the 25-degree chill to camping in 100-degree heat!

Thanks Sam for the advice! The worst part is that we own tire chains, but we left them at home because hey, it's April. :P We only made it a few miles up 88 before we decided it wasn't worth the fight. And it was kind of funny that 99% of the traffic on the road was heading down the mountain, not up it.

We spent the night in a hotel in Carson City, then took I-80 home the next morning.

Mono Lake is an awesome place, definitely worth another chance before the tufas go. I've never stopped there before, but the visitor's center was open and I had to get my NP passport stamped lol3.gif

Thanks guys! It was a really fun trip, just unexpected. Mountains are quite the double-edged sword. Pretty, but you can't be sure what you're gonna get. thumb.gif
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2010
    schmoo wrote:
    ... The worst part is that we own tire chains, but we left them at home because hey, it's April. :P ...

rolleyes1.gifrofl Now you know for the next time! Looks like a fun trip regardless!

BTW, it's not 'Sierras', just 'Sierra'. rolleyes1.gif
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    On the positive side...man that French toast looks good!
  • Alpha_PlusAlpha_Plus Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    Sounds like you had a hectic trip. That toast really does look good though! Did you get any other shots?
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Induro CT-014 Tripod
    karllindsayphotography.com | Photos on Facebook | 500px
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    Cool trip report and travelogue. I especially like the Mono Lake shot.

There's always tradeoffs between cold/hot weather camping. I used to think you could always put on more clothes in cold weather and only get so naked in hot. But then how many pairs of gloves and mittens can someone wear at once, and apparently there are rules about being naked in national parks- plus what can you do for shade, an umbrella hat? Anymore it's all awkward.
    Anybody can do it.
    edited April 14, 2010
    wfeller wrote:
    Cool trip report and travelogue. I especially like the Mono Lake shot.

There's always tradeoffs between cold/hot weather camping. I used to think you could always put on more clothes in cold weather and only get so naked in hot. But then how many pairs of gloves and mittens can someone wear at once, and apparently there are rules about being naked in national parks- plus what can you do for shade, an umbrella hat? Anymore it's all awkward.
    rolleyes1.gif
    edited April 14, 2010
    Thanks guys! And Mike, I'm not from 'round these parts but I always assumed that it was acceptable to refer to them as "the Sierras" just like "the Alps," "the Rockies" or "the Appalachians." I've seen them written that way elsewhere, but pardon the n00b error if I'm wrong!
    Alpha_Plus wrote:
    Sounds like you had a hectic trip. That toast really does look good though! Did you get any other shots?

Thanks and yeah, gotta love road food and the local color. lol3.gif I got a couple of others but nothing really worth processing, even as fun vacation shots. A lot of the areas were closed due to the weather and when it wasn't the light sucked. I also was trying primarily to get video clips for a movie project I have in mind. But I haven't even started on that one yet... rolleyes1.gif
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2010
    schmoo wrote:
    I also was trying primarily to get video clips for a movie project I have in mind. But I haven't even started on that one yet... rolleyes1.gif

Movieeek7.gif go go gowings.gif

The Sierra's are always fun and I do like your BW road shotthumb.gif
  • YetishotYetishot Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited April 16, 2010
    Nice sample of your road trip. I love a group of pictures that tell a short story and that looks like a fun little adventurewings.gif Love the first one especially-Im a sucker for B&W.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2010
    I think that 'road closed' shot says it all! lol3.gif

Even though you didn't get to shoot what you were trying to shoot, you did great with your shots and trip report bowdown.gif
    edited April 16, 2010
    Thanks guys! It seems that while I still prefer to shoot landscapes over other types of photography, nearly all of my sets these days are travelogues. lol3.gif

(Been thinking that Final Cut might be in my future. At least, hopefully.)