Render nodes?

angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
edited April 18, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
Okay, Been researching as best a layman can regarding my upcoming build. I watched/read with interest when jeffreaux and Scott put their systems together and all...interesting.

I was going to buy a turn key system, but after considerable reading , decided to once again build one. Only because with the realized savings, I can buy more stuff~
Putting the pieces together is very easy, we all know that.

What is not so easy is understanding what software puts what piece of hardware to good use, and which is a waste.

I'd appreciate some commentary regarding these principles:

1. Open GL

2. CPU versus GPU computing

3. Render Nodes.

5. Does Adobe CS4 take advantage of uber GPU-power or Uber CPU-Speed, or which would it prefer?

If my questions appear infantile, Then you're probably an astute observer.

But what I'd like is some real world examples and explanations. In my world, I usually try to explain things so a 12 y/o can understand them, so please let me hear from you if you really have a good grasp of these things.

Once again, thanks in advance~
tom wise

Comments

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2010
    Okay, so I've got render nodes off my check list. I see no reason to make and use a render node right now. If in the future my workload increases dramatically, then I will make and use one (or two).

The other queries are still on the table. I can hardly believe no one out here reading doesn't understand these things well enough to explain them simply to me.

I see where CS5 is definitely tied to a Quadro FX Video card, but what about CS4? I don't see where it is making much use of the new-ish HD 5830 card I recently installed versus the older Nvidia piece I removed?

Thanks in advance~
    tom wise
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited April 15, 2010
    I'm still learning myself but I believe that:

1) Yes, Adobe Photoshop CS4 can make use of "some" GPU functions to accelerate "some" Photoshop filters and activities.

2) I believe that only 2D GPU functions are leveraged by Photoshop so a massive 3D capability is pretty much wasted.

3) A good 2D video card with a lot of VRAM is better than a good 3D video card with less VRAM.

4) Some video cards are better than others but I have not yet discovered a reliable source to know how to tell the difference before purchase and testing.

Best bet is to research individual cards using Google to search and see what people have to say about that card in use with CS4.

Adobe's recommendation:

"Adobe recommends DirectX 9.0 or later (on Windows) and Shader Model 3.0.* Display cards with 512MB or better of VRAM and support for OpenGL 2.0 are recommended. If your video display card is not detected as a supported card, GPU effects and preferences will not be visible within the application. It is also recommended that you download and install the most recent drivers available from your video card manufacturer.

*Note: Adobe Photoshop CS4 and Adobe Bridge CS4 use OpenGL 2.0, rather than DirectX. For Photoshop specific GPU documentation, please refer to the "GPU acceleration in Adobe Photoshop CS4" section of this document.
    "

This information from:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405445.html

Also refer to the following:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404898.html

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405745.html

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405711.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited April 16, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I'm still learning myself but I believe that:

1) Yes, Adobe Photoshop CS4 can make use of "some" GPU functions to accelerate "some" Photoshop filters and activities.

2) I believe that only 2D GPU functions are leveraged by Photoshop so a massive 3D capability is pretty much wasted.

3) A good 2D video card with a lot of VRAM is better than a good 3D video card with less VRAM.

4) Some video cards are better than others but I have not yet discovered a reliable source to know how to tell the difference before purchase and testing.

Best bet is to research individual cards using Google to search and see what people have to say about that card in use with CS4.

Adobe's recommendation:

"Adobe recommends DirectX 9.0 or later (on Windows) and Shader Model 3.0.* Display cards with 512MB or better of VRAM and support for OpenGL 2.0 are recommended. If your video display card is not detected as a supported card, GPU effects and preferences will not be visible within the application. It is also recommended that you download and install the most recent drivers available from your video card manufacturer.

*Note: Adobe Photoshop CS4 and Adobe Bridge CS4 use OpenGL 2.0, rather than DirectX. For Photoshop specific GPU documentation, please refer to the "GPU acceleration in Adobe Photoshop CS4" section of this document.
    "

This information from:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405445.html

Also refer to the following:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404898.html

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405745.html

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405711.html

Perfect Links! Great Reading and reference!

I had read that quoted statement before, but somehow overlooked the VRAM thing. I am considering getting this card, but I also notice it says nothing about VRAM. I noticed in the press release that Adobe was onto the quadro FX cards for CS5, and am curious and hoping it may do some good for my CS4 Bundle. Still, wheres the VRAM in all of this?

Of course I have read and read, but for every three hundred gamers you get you can find one or two folks that do something other than game, such as video editing and the like. The of course when I stumble upon some interesting data, I find it way, way above my head.

And just to clarify, When I mention CS4, I should also mention production premium. So far, I am working in After Effects and Premiere as well as working in 3D spaces combining layered 3D imagery in AE. So my primary working purpose is to help these things along. Often the RAM previews that one can call out are rather slow, though I did notice an improvement in the Audio playback just switching to an Open GL card.

From what I read you're right that in PS proper, 2D seems to be the most demand.

Once again, thanks for the Links and info~
    tom wise
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited April 16, 2010
    angevin1 wrote:
    ... Still, wheres the VRAM in all of this?

If you think of the video card processor, the GPU, as a custom processing unit for Photoshop, VRAM is the dedicated RAM for that processor and it is located in a streamlined pipeline specific to the GPU. It is faster to access than common computer RAM and allows the computer RAM to be used for the main CPU.

Larger amounts of VRAM just make the whole operation of graphics processing that much faster and more efficient, since there are less transfers to common RAM and since the VRAM is optimized for the graphics processor.

Each software application uses the GPU in a different fashion, and a 3D card might be more useful for 3D transformations in a video application, "if" (and only if) the software application is written to make efficient use of the GPU and its properties and capabilities. I have not seen any comprehensive study or review of applications against video cards and it would require a tremendous effort to maintain such a site.

Again, I suggest your own research, using Google as a search tool, is the current best method for determining both compatibility and benefit for any given graphics card and application combination.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited April 16, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    If you think of the video card processor, the GPU, as a custom processing unit for Photoshop, VRAM is the dedicated RAM for that processor and it is located in a streamlined pipeline specific to the GPU. It is faster to access than common computer RAM and allows the computer RAM to be used for the main CPU.

Larger amounts of VRAM just make the whole operation of graphics processing that much faster and more efficient, since there are less transfers to common RAM and since the VRAM is optimized for the graphics processor.

Each software application uses the GPU in a different fashion, and a 3D card might be more useful for 3D transformations in a video application, "if" (and only if) the software application is written to make efficient use of the GPU and its properties and capabilities. I have not seen any comprehensive study or review of applications against video cards and it would require a tremendous effort to maintain such a site.

Again, I suggest your own research, using Google as a search tool, is the current best method for determining both compatibility and benefit for any given graphics card and application combination.

Great job explaining it all to me...I get it on the Vram and dedicated Ram for the GPU to hopefully use in ones app. I'll do as you suggested and continue the search until I can come to a reasonable conclusion about my potential purchase, thanks sincerely~
    tom wise
  • AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2010
    angevin1 wrote:
    Great job explaining it all to me...I get it on the Vram and dedicated Ram for the GPU to hopefully use in ones app. I'll do as you suggested and continue the search until I can come to a reasonable conclusion about my potential purchase, thanks sincerely~

It should be noted that you can set up Photoshop to use a secondary hard drive for scratch or temporary space, so if you have more than one hard drive, it's a good thing. Personally, I'd want a drive for the operating system, a drive for data and a drive for scratch space.

As for photoshop performance, also remember, windows 7 and vista have windows Aereo which is their fancy desktop scheme. You can turn it off to increase performance.

You may also consider the speed and quality of your RAM which I would think has more to do with speed than the GPU in a system. Also, and I think you know this already, you want a dedicated video card, not a video card build into the motherboard that shares memory with your system memory.
    Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
    EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8
    edited April 17, 2010
    It should be noted that you can set up Photoshop to use a secondary hard drive for scratch or temporary space, so if you have more than one hard drive, it's a good thing. Personally, I'd want a drive for the operating system, a drive for data and a drive for scratch space.

As for photoshop performance, also remember, windows 7 and vista have windows Aereo which is their fancy desktop scheme. You can turn it off to increase performance.

You may also consider the speed and quality of your RAM which I would think has more to do with speed than the GPU in a system. Also, and I think you know this already, you want a dedicated video card, not a video card build into the motherboard that shares memory with your system memory.

Yep! Already got all that: separate caching on two separate hardrives and always off of the one I am driving the app with. That said, neither are SSD and I am going to add one of those.

I have NOTHING checked on the AERO crap, and haven't all the way back to XP days. My stuff is Slim~

I am maxed out on this box at 8GB and this machine will actually pull a decent load...I'm just going to have to pony up some dough and want to make sure it is a a true pony and not an A_S, so to speak.

Looks like from what I can find that the Quadro FX stuff is the way to go for my apps. Ziggy53 put me onto the Adobe/google/Nvidia and Nvidia does have a great as heck chart, but did take some digging to find it.
    basically I need to spend about as much on the new computer build as I do on the V-card~That is, if I stay away from the Xeon stuff~

thanks,
    tom wise
  • AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2010
    angevin1 wrote:
    Yep! Already got all that: separate caching on two separate hardrives and always off of the one I am driving the app with. That said, neither are SSD and I am going to add one of those.

I have NOTHING checked on the AERO crap, and haven't all the way back to XP days. My stuff is Slim~

I am maxed out on this box at 8GB and this machine will actually pull a decent load...I'm just going to have to pony up some dough and want to make sure it is a a true pony and not an A_S, so to speak.

Looks like from what I can find that the Quadro FX stuff is the way to go for my apps. Ziggy53 put me onto the Adobe/google/Nvidia and Nvidia does have a great as heck chart, but did take some digging to find it.
    basically I need to spend about as much on the new computer build as I do on the V-card~That is, if I stay away from the Xeon stuff~

thanks,

I hear ya. Not sure I'm ready to swear by SSD either these days. I have a 32G Intel Extreme drive ($300 drive) which is suppose to be one of the best SSD drives out their. But not sure I"m seeing a huge difference with it. I store project files for visual studio, but I"m afraid it's so many files, it really bogs the drive down. I know the ExpressCard drive I got for my laptop was clearly slower than just having the project files on the hard drive.

I'd be interested to see how SSD handles things like swap files though, it might perform well their.
    Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
    EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8