Options

"Share" button does not function well in my gallery (Thumbnails view on single page)

NicciNicci Registered Users Posts: 436 Major grins
edited March 3, 2011 in Bug Reporting
Gallery:
http://photos.humansafterall.com/Nightlife/WMC2010/11710314_PrbwM#826381358_zq3JS

I am assuming that the problem will be the same for anyone using the same gallery style as I am. (Thumbnails viewable all on one page) I am unsure if this problem exists in other gallery styles.

The "Share" option does not appear to be usable for someone inexperienced with the site.

Specifically, if you are not all the way at the top of the page when you click on "share" and then "be social", the box that instructs you to click on the photo with which you would like to be social is not viewable. It pops up at the very top of the browser even if the top of the browser is not currently in view.

Additionally, if you do see the box and scroll down the page and click on a photo to be social with, the whole screen grays out. The further instructions on how to be social are only viewed if you know to scroll back up the screen. (In this case scroll halfway down or to the bottom of my gallery and choose one of those photos while using "be social" to see what I mean.

This can lead to a very frustrating user experience. It took me at least a few minutes to figure out what was going on myself.

Is it possible to add a "share" button when the photo is open at viewable size rather than having to scroll back to the top for the "share" button?

Comments

• Options
    edited April 14, 2010
    I've tested it on Firefox and Internet Explorer with the same results as above. (Windows 7)

As a matter of fact, if the photo is far enough down the page, sometimes I will click on the photo to share and it pops up the viewable size rather than selecting the photo as the one to share.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    I've asked for this to be looked at - thanks!
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    This is indeed a problem and it likely isn't hard to fix at all. The prompt dialog just needs to come up at the top of the viewable area, not the top of the page.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2010
    jfriend wrote:
    This is indeed a problem and it likely isn't hard to fix at all. The prompt dialog just needs to come up at the top of the viewable area, not the top of the page.
    thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2010
    jfriend wrote: »

I am still encountering the same problem.

Is this something that will be resolved?

Thank you!
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 4, 2010
    Nicole,

I am working on sending the bug report now. I am sorry I missed it before.

--Doc
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2010
    This is still an issue for me. Any news on this being resolved please?

Thank you!
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2010
    Its on the list. I am afraid that I cannot say when exactly it will be fixed. Sorry.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2010
    I am still encountering this problem.

I do not plan on using this gallery style all the time, but this style is one of the primary reasons I chose to go with SmugMug. I do plan on using it enough that I will not be happy with another gallery style for those galleries.

It makes many of the share functions unusable unless you are perfectly aligned on the page. Similarly, if you choose the "be social option" and you are not at the top of the page, the social options are at the top of the page and not in the viewable area.

Is there anyway to find out any idea of a time range for this gallery style to have the bugs worked out? I want to finish and launch my site very soon.
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2010
    :::knock knock::: :poke
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2010
    Nicole,

I am afraid that I cannot give a timeline. There are too many factors involved with the way we handle bugs and releases. Sorry --Doc
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited September 23, 2010
    I just wanted to give a gentle reminder that this issue I reported in April is still not resolved.

The share feature is unusable in a thumbnail style gallery unless you happen to be at the very very top of the page (or unless a visitor happens to be familiar with SmugMug and where you need to look to be able to share photos).

The share feature instructions do not come up in the viewable area of the screen.

Just to refresh your memory, when you try to "Share" and/or "Be Social" in a thumbnail style gallery, the first prompt only comes up at the very top, right hand side of the gallery (in the header area). If you do see the first pop up instruction, and then select a photo, the entire screen greys out and you have to scroll back up to the header section to see the instructions.

Please let me know if you need screen shots in order to clarify.

http://photos.humansafterall.com/Nightlife-and-Music/SitePremiere
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2011
    Getting close to one year without this being resolved....has it been forgotten?
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2011
    Tecnicole wrote: »
    Getting close to one year without this being resolved....has it been forgotten?

You had easy sharing off in this gallery, Nicole.
    http://photos.humansafterall.com/Nightlife-and-Music/SitePremiere/11593044_dHaEX#816970803_7zi7c

I turned it on, and Be Social works fine for me there. Can you give it a try?
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2011
    I did not want it on in that gallery, but I don't think you understand the issue. Please reread what I explained. The "choose a photo" is not in the viewable area as explained previously in this thread.

There are different issues with this feature and I have different threads for them.
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2011
    I did not want it on in that gallery, but I don't think you understand the issue. Please reread what I explained. The "choose a photo" is not in the viewable area as explained previously in this thread.

There are different issues with this feature and I have different threads for them.
    OK, please give me a gallery link where we can try this on your site, thank you.
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2011

So I'm at the top of your gallery.
    I click "Share Button" and "Be Social"
    I get the popup, upper left, that tells me to choose a photo.
    I scroll down and choose the very last photo by clicking on it
    And I get this which is the last photo (the one I chose).

20110302-enend3xw3es8n6m6hs326tthhr.jpg

I realize you are saying it's not working for you but I'm still (yes, after a long time and you've made many posts) not following you as to what the "bug" is. I really do want to help. Standing by.
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2011
    From my first post:

if you are not all the way at the top of the page when you click on "share" and then "be social", the box that instructs you to click on the photo with which you would like to be social is not viewable. It pops up at the very top of the browser even if the top of the browser is not currently in view.

From John's post:

• Options
    edited March 1, 2011
    According to doc's post, it was submitted as a bug in May of last year.
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2011
    I want to clarify, this issue does have a bug report filed against it. I will get with Andy and show him the bug report and the video I shot for the original report that explains it.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2011
    According to doc's post, it was submitted as a bug in May of last year.

Sure - we'll try and deal with it. Unfortunately, we're rather resource constrained :( I know you want to use thumbnails style, so we'll try and get to it fast.
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2011
    From my first post:

if you are not all the way at the top of the page when you click on "share" and then "be social",

One thing though - you can't click on the share > be social without being at the top of the page, so I am still a bit confused here...
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2011
    While not essential to the problem, it is easier to see if you have a very large header like Nicole uses. That allows you to see the Share button further down the page. Small headers are more likely to have the share button at or close to the top of the page.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2011
    docwalker wrote: »
    While not essential to the problem, it is easier to see if you have a very large header like Nicole uses. That allows you to see the Share button further down the page. Small headers are more likely to have the share button at or close to the top of the page.

nonono, I'm saying, scroll the gallery all you like, you can't use the share button unless you are at the top of the page anyhow, so I'm wondering how/why she can't see the popup that says choose this photo...
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    nonono, I'm saying, scroll the gallery all you like, you can't use the share button unless you are at the top of the page anyhow, so I'm wondering how/why she can't see the popup that says choose this photo...

OIC, Doc explained it, it's because of the really giant header that takes up so much vertical space on your site (I've advised against this before, from a design perspective, I recommend short headers, lots of folks are browsing on ipads, netbooks, laptops), so that if you scroll down so that just the share button is at the top of your screen, you can't see the popup. Not something we planned for, but I'll surely ask to have it accommodated.