15 Square - Version 2

michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
edited April 14, 2010 in Street and Documentary
Hi everyone. I've finished version 2 of the slide show. I've gone with a simpler approach with a single slide at a time, eliminated ~30 images and put more effort on sequencing the images and syncing the music.

Comments

• PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2010
    Jenn, I can't tell you how much more I enjoyed this version. Instead of being distracted by visual noise of photos changing in haphazard patterns, I was drawn in and was able to enjoy and really SEE each of your amazing captures. The musical accompaniment worked for me this time as well. The difference is remarkable. It really is. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif I wish I had a drop of your talent and skill.

Can you tell me the significance of the strings of numbers written on walls in several of your shots? I noticed the first one in photo 4 or 5 at the beginning - black numbers written on a light wall adjacent to a door.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2010
    BRAVO! wings.gif

This was a wonderful presentation. The music was actually fitting and did not detract or distract. And I liked the presentation of the pics singly. I did not recognize many of the early ones -- not sure if they were added in or because the original presentation of multiples did not allow many shots to make the impact that they now are making.

Q: Is the neighborhood the dark area in the last firework slide that is surrounded by highrises? That is a great end slide showing that area in darkness.
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    A truly impressive collection.

The only somewhat negative aspect is the framing. I like white borders on photos presented on black
    background as yours are. But these are not the Select All>Edit>Stroke borders I use. The are often wider
    than the image and some have space above and below the image. Black space inside the border
    sometimes looks like it's part of the scene, and looks wrong in the scene.

Still, quite impressive and enjoyable.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited April 14, 2010
    I won't repeat what I said before about not liking music in photography slideshows, but the rest is far, far improved. It's simply fabulous. bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

BTW, was that John Renbourn or maybe Bert Jansch playing on that first piece? The style was very familiar. headscratch.gif

Anyway, great job, Jenn. clap.gif
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    a very nice compilation of some good work. I enjoyed seeing it.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    Patti wrote:
    Can you tell me the significance of the strings of numbers written on walls in several of your shots? I noticed the first one in photo 4 or 5 at the beginning - black numbers written on a light wall adjacent to a door.

They are phone numbers to people providing illicit services. A lot of the time it's for simple things like plumbing and electrical, but a significant portion are for counterfeiting services for a variety of official documents and sometimes for sex. It is ubiquitous if you keep your eye out for them but quickly painted over in maintained areas.

I had thought of trying a series with the numbers themselves by calling and getting "environmental" shots of the people on the other end of the line. But I haven't been able to get a fixer that's willing to work with me on the idea.
    edited April 14, 2010
    rainbow wrote:
    Q: Is the neighborhood the dark area in the last firework slide that is surrounded by highrises? That is a great end slide showing that area in darkness.

Yes it is. It was taken this year around 1am on the last night of CNY.
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    They are phone numbers to people providing illicit services. A lot of the time it's for simple things like plumbing and electrical, but a significant portion are for counterfeiting services for a variety of official documents and sometimes for sex. It is ubiquitous if you keep your eye out for them but quickly painted over in maintained areas.

I had thought of trying a series with the numbers themselves by calling and getting "environmental" shots of the people on the other end of the line. But I haven't been able to get a fixer that's willing to work with me on the idea.

Thanks. That's interesting a would make a great series. I hope it works out. I'd love to see it.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
    edited April 14, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:
    A truly impressive collection.

The only somewhat negative aspect is the framing. I like white borders on photos presented on black
    background as yours are. But these are not the Select All>Edit>Stroke borders I use. The are often wider
    than the image and some have space above and below the image. Black space inside the border
    sometimes looks like it's part of the scene, and looks wrong in the scene.

Still, quite impressive and enjoyable.

Tony, I agree with you on the idea of the white framing and I actually experimented with it. But I was prepping this specific set to show to the organiser of a periodic Shanghai photography event and I wanted to keep it consistent with what might work in the venue. I think I will be revisiting the set a couple of more times.
    edited April 14, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    BTW, was that John Renbourn or maybe Bert Jansch playing on that first piece? The style was very familiar. headscratch.gif

It's the John Butler Trio, but I'm going to do a search on the two people you mentioned. I love learning about new music. The other pieces are by Michelle Shocked. The good news is that the mute button is a personal decision when looking at it online. The difficult news is that there will have to be music for the actual presentation at the event, so it's a matter of how to treat it.
    edited April 14, 2010
    a very nice compilation of some good work. I enjoyed seeing it.

Tom

Thanks Tom. Glad you enjoyed it. Still lots of work to do to get to a final set and sequence.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    I enjoyed it very much, too. Some excellent photographs there, and I never get tired of seeing them! I love your choices of music - especially the first piece and the short segment at the end.

I did notice (and this may be my internet connection) that some of the transitions seemed not be be very smooth - photo breaking apart and taking too much time to get to the next one??? Also there was at least one example of a transition that seemed to overly smooth the photo as it faded away (like overly aggressive noise reduction). I think that consistent, clean transitions would work best with the single photo at time composition.

Although I was a fan of your original multiple photos approach, I concede that the revised version is a better platform for your work. I miss some of the hustle, bustle of the first version, which to me spoke of life in the 15 sq block area - but find that many the single shots convey the same feeling when seen alone.

Thank you so much for sharing this creative voyage with us. I feel that I am learning a lot and also getting a feel for Shanghai.

Virginia

Email