Going on a cruise to Alaska. Considering buying either: 50D or Bigma (50-500mm Sigma)

cal_geckocal_gecko Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
edited April 17, 2010 in Cameras
Later this year, my wife and I are going on a cruise to Alaska... I'm so excited, I can't stand it! A photographers dream!!

So - my current gear is:

Canon 40D
Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Canon 28-135 IS
Sigma 10-20mm wide angle
flashes, tripod, etc

I'm thinking about the photographic opportunities that will be available in Alaska, and know that my 70-300mm is an outdated, entry-level zoom lens.. but I also know that my 40D is a few years old and kind of low on the megapixels and features.

So, I'm curious whether I should:
Keep the camera and spend some coin (about $1000.00) on a better zoom lens - I'm thinking the Bigma (50-500mm)
Upgrade to a 50D
Or wait for the 60D to come out (cruise isn't until late August) and pick that up...

Thoughts?
Canon 5D MkIII
Canon 24-105 f/4L IS
Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS
Canon 17-40 f/4L
Sennheiser MKE400 shotgun Mic

Comments

• ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    Wide
    What are you planning to photograph? There are the Eagles, wildlife (you need to do Shore Excursions) and buildings/landscapes where wide is important.

A lot of people rented the big big lenses - I saw plenty of 600mm's
    The ideal lens is the 400 with an extender.
    If you aren't use to it, you might want to consider a 100-400 used.
    I saw a number of people with the Bigma there but I don't know what they were really shooting.
    Remember is can be rainy and sunny and foggy all at once. My 70-300 died right in the middle of shooting whales in Juneau. Take backup!
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • canonboycanonboy Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    cal_gecko wrote:
    I'm thinking about the photographic opportunities that will be available in Alaska, and know that my 70-300mm is an outdated, entry-level zoom lens.. but I also know that my 40D is a few years old and kind of low on the megapixels and features.

Keep the camera and spend some coin (about $1000.00) on a better zoom lens - I'm thinking the Bigma (50-500mm)
    Upgrade to a 50D
    Or wait for the 60D to come out (cruise isn't until late August) and pick that up...

Thoughts?

My wife and I went on an Alaska cruise in August last year along the Inner Passage, and we did several shore excursions. For Alaska, you'll want as much reach as possible.

If you don't already have the Canon 100-400mm, that's the one I'd recommend that you either buy or rent. For $131, you can rent this from lensrentals.com for 2 weeks! Because of its variable aperture, it's best for daytime. I used it for whale watching excursions, bear watching excursions, and photos of eagles.

They say that no matter what lens you bring, you'll always want more "reach". It's a never-ending battle.

I also had the Canon 40D, and I thought it was a very capable camera. Were there any particular features you find it lacking? I didn't do any video, so if that's important for you, then maybe you might consider switching to the 50D or the 7D. But in terms of photos, I thought the 40D was more than adequate.

I also brought a 50mm f/1.4 lens for the low-light shipboard entertainment. And I brought my 17-55mm f/2.8 lens for my general walk-around lens both outside and inside the ship. The external flash and tripod came in very handy, too. If you like to geotag your photos, bring a GPS receiver. I brought a laptop and an external hard drive to download my photos off the card every night and quickly review them in Lightroom.

I think going with the lens is better than going with a newer camera.

Here are some of the photos I got with the 100-400mm lens:
    634714499_ZT99d-L.jpg

634714593_9ToqE-L.jpg

635479524_9kwn2-L.jpg

636151920_VzSFa-L.jpg
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    After I looked at your lens line-up, it was clear to me that you need more reach. You need it so much more than you need a new camera body.

That having been said, I think I would council the purchase of either a 50D or a 7D, just for the AF Microadjustment feature. Most of the other features and the additional resolution are of no real significance.

Then, I would suggest you RENT as long a piece a glass as you can afford. Make sure you have a day or two ont he rental before the trip so you can find the time to dial in that lens. And when you dial in that lens, if it's a zoom, give more weight to the long end then the shorter when you do the AF Microadjustment. Rental suggestions (in no particular order): If you don't have one, you will also probably want a quick-release plate to facilitate the mounting/dis-mounting of the lens/camera combination. It will make all the difference in the world.
  • cal_geckocal_gecko Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    After I looked at your lens line-up, it was clear to me that you need more reach. You need it so much more than you need a new camera body.

That having been said, I think I would council the purchase of either a 50D or a 7D, just for the AF Microadjustment feature. Most of the other features and the additional resolution are of no real significance.

Then, I would suggest you RENT as long a piece a glass as you can afford. Make sure you have a day or two ont he rental before the trip so you can find the time to dial in that lens. And when you dial in that lens, if it's a zoom, give more weight to the long end then the shorter when you do the AF Microadjustment. Rental suggestions (in no particular order): If you don't have one, you will also probably want a quick-release plate to facilitate the mounting/dis-mounting of the lens/camera combination. It will make all the difference in the world.

Great suggestions ... I had not even thought about renting a lens ... this is a great idea!

Any word on when the next model in the XXD lineup (60D?) will be available?
    Canon 5D MkIII
    Canon 24-105 f/4L IS
    Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS
    Canon 17-40 f/4L
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    cal_gecko wrote:
    Great suggestions ... I had not even thought about renting a lens ... this is a great idea!

Any word on when the next model in the XXD lineup (60D?) will be available?
    I'm glad you liked the idea. It's worked quite well for me on a number of trips to AK (my brother lives there so a family visit also turns into a vacation :D).

As for the 60D .... I think I heard it was going to be announced on the 45th of the month. In other words, as usual, Canon is playing their cards pretty close to their chest.
  • CynthiaMCynthiaM Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    cal_gecko wrote:
    Later this year, my wife and I are going on a cruise to Alaska... I'm so excited, I can't stand it! A photographers dream!!

So - my current gear is:

Canon 40D
    Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 28-135 IS
    Sigma 10-20mm wide angle
    flashes, tripod, etc

Upgrade to a 50D

Thoughts?
    We did a cruise to Alaska in the summer of 2008. It was one of the best trips we ever took. Are you just doing the cruise or spending any time on land? Based on your questions, this is what I would suggest:
    • I don't think it is worth it to go from the 40d to the 50d.
    • From what I have read about some of the newer cameras, like the 7d, you will probably appreciate the limitations of the 70-300 lens even more so on something like the 7d, so I wouldn't suggest that combo, either. If you go 7d, I think you need to be prepared to get a new zoom or rent one as someone else suggested.
    • If you upgrade or rent a zoom, I think you should seriously consider something that can be handheld preferably with image stabilization. My experience was that using a tripod was extremely impractical if not impossible. When you are on board, cruising the glaciers, you are often scurrying from one side of the boat to the other and any wildlife that you may catch while on board is blink or you will miss it; by the time you get a camera off a tripod, you will miss it. And even on shore excursions, you have to keep up with the group; by the time you set up a tripod they are off. Or it is impractical. We took a shore excursion from Skagway to the Davidson Glacier which was one of the best excursions that we did. First we got on something like a catamaran that took us to some remote island, then hiked through the woods, then put on all kinds of rain gear and life vests, then boarded canoes. By the time I got in the canoe, between the outerwear and the life vest, I literally could not move. I tried to get to my camera out from a backpack on the floor of the canoe but I could not get to it. I was very glad that I had stuck a Canon g9 in my parka pocket; it was all I could get to. So unless if you do your own thing on land or have a private guide, taking a tripod on land might be equally impractical.
    • You will probably get more use out of your sigma 10-20 than you might think; definitely take it. Ideally, you might even consider taking 2 bodies and keep the wide angle on one and a longer lens on the other. I had 2 bodies but one was an ir converted camera, so what I often did was to use the Canon 100-400mm, especially on board on the non ir camera (it was great to capture calving sequences, birds, and water wildlife) and used the G9 for wider angle when it was not practical to start changing the lens.
    If you can afford it, I would consider the 7d and renting the Canon 100-400. The higher resolution of the 7d will essentially act to extend the range of the zoom in that you will be able to zoom in with a crop in post and still end up with a decent image.

Watch your shutter speed when you are at the long end of the zoom. The weather is often overcast and in order to get enough light for a fast enough shutter speed, I often had to boost the iso outdoors to 400 even 800 . A shutter speed of 1/100 will do no wonders for your images if shooting at 400mm and image stabilization just won't help. The image stabilization is nice, but don't rely on it and don't forget the rule of thumb that your shutter speed should be a fraction of 1/focal length multiplied by the camera crop. At 400mm that would be a shutter speed of 1/640; with the IS, 1/400 should be fine to ensure sharp images.

By the way, my equipment on this trip was a Canon 20d, Canon 24-105, Canon 10-22 and the 100-400, a second ir body fitted with an 18-200mm lens and the G9. I also took the Canon 500d close up lens (screws on like a filter) which made a pretty good substitute for a macro lens. Think about how you will carry everything. Distribute the weight. I used a belt system and a regular, very lightweight backpack; anything that went into it was in a neoprene case. I could flip it over to my shoulder to get something in or out and it did not require me to take it off and set it down the way a bonafide camera backpack does when you need to get something in or out.

You can see my Alaska images here: http://www.cynthiamerzerphotography.com/Travel/Alaska?ao=0

Regards,
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    Exciting trip! Exciting questions - I have one foot on the plane with you.

The Bigma looks like a lot of fun assuming you can hold it steady.

I wouldn't worry about the 40d unless you plan on shooting movies. In fact I would prefer a trusty depreciated camera in these conditions - fewer worries about rain and sea breezes. I guess the majority of your shots will be of the snap variety, so kit you know well is always best. And the 40D can do a lot more than snaps as you well know.

On that front I would definitely be taking my G9. It would get lots of use - convenient, flexible, rugged and shoots RAW. An Alaskan holiday is the last place I would want to try a brand new camera or a rental lens that I have to return in good shape. Relax and enjoy your vacation - even with average kit you will shoot plenty of keepers and you'll sleep easy.

I don't know the 70-300 macro from Sigma. It sounds as strange as any of the wild life you are likely to encounter. A decent zoom is needed. Personally I would be keeping my 40D and finally justifying a 70-200 L series to myself - they are supposedly weatherproof.
  • zack75144zack75144 Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    I own a 40D and a 7D, I did not consider the 50D a legitimate upgrade for 40D owners, so I waited for the 7D.

keep the 40 and buy some quality glass.
    Zack www.zackjonesphotography.net
    EOS 7D, Zeiss 50mm f/1.4, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 200mm f/2.8L II, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 1.4 Ext II, 430EX, ST-E2, Tamrac Velocity 10X & Expeditioner 7 Bags.
  • SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    Hello,

Another thought....

I did an inner passage cruise a few years ago.

Before going I called the cruise lines and got the exact internal dimensions of the safe in our room.

I then figured out what bodies / lenses I could take and get it all in the safe. Ended up being a 1dsmk2, a 300/2.8IS, 1.4x, 2x, 16-35/2.8 and a 50/2.5.

I didn't trust my gear in the room, and I didn't feel like carrying it for the whole week - to the formal dinners, to the pool, to the massage place, exercise room, etc.

If you are making this a photo cruise then get the 600, but if not then I'd at least think about taking a smaller kit.
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2010
    We agree with the others -- rent some big glass :)
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • cal_geckocal_gecko Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited April 16, 2010
    We agree with the others -- rent some big glass :)
    ha ha ha ,... not biased or anything... :)
    Canon 5D MkIII
    Canon 24-105 f/4L IS
    Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS
    Canon 17-40 f/4L
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2010
    Maybe a little! FWIW we actually just got an order from a group going to Alaska in June. They are taking Nikon 200-400s with 1.4x TCs if that helps give you an idea of the ranges. Generally speaking anything between 400-600 is where you want to be probably.
    cal_gecko wrote:
    ha ha ha ,... not biased or anything... :)
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2010
    I just bought the Bigma (I got the Optically Stabalized Version) and I'll have to say I'm Okay with it. It fills a need for me and gives me awsome reach. That being said, it's a lens that requires alot of light. Also, I'd highly suggest a nice Monopod with a quick release. I've found mine invaluable.

As for bodies, I have a 30d, 50d and T2i. the 50d is my camera of choice, but I'm really liking the T2i as well. But having shot with the 30d and the 50d side by side on occassion, I can tell you, glass is way more important than megapixels! I'd stick with the 40d for now personally.

I will say this, the 50-500mm reach of the Bigma is exciting! But if I was going to rent something, it'd be the optically stabailzed bigma and a second body.
    Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
    EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8