600 & something minutes to download 1700 pictures...

snapsbypoteatsnapsbypoteat Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
edited April 14, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
Is it suppose to take this long? At the bottom of the uploader it states that the upload is at 1.56mb/s,
I have a macbook pro and had always thought stuff like this would be A LOT faster. Am I just expecting too much? Could it be my internet connection? I have cable. Just frustrated, I started downloading these pictures last night, woke up this morning and it's still going with 307 minutes left.
ALL OUT CANON!

www.snapsbypoteat.com

Canon Ti1
Canon 30D
Tamron 17-50/2.8
Sigma 30/1.4
Canon 55-250
Canon 85 1.8
580ex

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    You need a faster reader - what do you have?
  • snapsbypoteatsnapsbypoteat Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    do you mean card reader??

I'm downloading the pictures from my mac to a smugmug gallery, not from my card to computer... sorry guess I didn't specify.
    ALL OUT CANON!

www.snapsbypoteat.com

Canon Ti1
    Canon 30D
    Tamron 17-50/2.8
    Sigma 30/1.4
    Canon 55-250
    Canon 85 1.8
    580ex
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    do you mean card reader??

I'm downloading the pictures from my mac to a smugmug gallery, not from my card to computer... sorry guess I didn't specify.
    Aha. OK:

1- what is your internet connection- isp, type of cable?
    2- how fast is it? http://smugmug.speedtest.net
    3- are you wired or wireless?
    4- how big are the files you are uploading?

I pay for Ultra High Speed with my Cable company and get 5-6Mb/sec upload speeds. Also keep in mind that some ISPs 'throttle' uploading on purpose.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited April 14, 2010
    Just a minor correction in terminology, it would appear that you are "uploading" images from your computer to your gallery at SmugMug.

1700 images is quite a few to upload and with modern digital cameras it can be many hundreds of megabytes or even gigabytes in total size for the upload.

Most Internet connections are much faster to download than to upload, many times faster. You can contact your Internet service provider about the upload speed.

In order to check your speed use the customized SmugMug speed test:

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/3385961
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    Is it suppose to take this long? At the bottom of the uploader it states that the upload is at 1.56mb/s,
    I have a macbook pro and had always thought stuff like this would be A LOT faster. Am I just expecting too much? Could it be my internet connection? I have cable. Just frustrated, I started downloading these pictures last night, woke up this morning and it's still going with 307 minutes left.

I'm not a math whiz by any stretch, but at that transfer rate and that amount of photos, if each photo was of 1MB size, it'd take roughly 4 hours time.
    tom wise
  • SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    Here were my results:

782580800.png