Shelby - Senior

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited April 20, 2010 in People
I shot these on Tuesday.

This was a kind of call back as I had shot her older sisters senior portraits two years ago.

We had a blast, and her grandmother got some pretty nifty shots of me photographing her grandaughter that she was kind enough to email to me.

I used natural light on this set on a large percentage of the shots.

Here are a few...
1-
837046984_kWdXt-M-1.jpg

2-837050402_xEzpf-M.jpg

3-
837071957_SNRmg-M.jpg

4-
837072652_6iQSL-L.jpg

5-
837074053_4hYp9-M.jpg

6-
837080468_Bkwnf-M.jpg

837107532_Dmx44-M.jpg

8- Angie?

837101176_ncUNv-M.jpg

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2010
    1, 6, 8 bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

This is a gorgeous set, Jeff!!

Explain to me #2 - lens? How'd you frame that? I realise that I completely SUCK at full-body shots (and not great at 3/4). I keep trying, but I seem to oscillate between "person too small in frame" or "bits of person chopped off". I struggle with this!
  • gypsiwomengypsiwomen Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited April 15, 2010
    I really like these images...beautiful model! fantastic light! clap.gif
  • Allan FGAllan FG Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2010
    The first one is really fantastic.
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2010
    3 thru 7 are really great. 7 is simply superb! What a beautiful girl. thumb.gif Love the "tip of the hat" to Angie on 8. :D
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2010
    divamum wrote:
    1, 6, 8 bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

This is a gorgeous set, Jeff!!

Explain to me #2 - lens? How'd you frame that? I realise that I completely SUCK at full-body shots (and not great at 3/4). I keep trying, but I seem to oscillate between "person too small in frame" or "bits of person chopped off". I struggle with this!

Thanks Diva!

3,4,5, and 6 were all shot with the 70-200 F2.8IS @ F2.8 and 1/200 at ISO200....au natural....no flash, no reflector, ala Mitchell.

The focal lengths.....
    3- 70mm
    4- 125mm
    5- 80mm
    6- 200mm

Full length...and this isn't EXACLT as tough as a standing full length can be difficult. Getting the subject large enough in the frame to be the subject and balancing that with leaving enough room for vairious crops is an ongoing challenge. The best teacher are the clients that request a 5x7 or 8x10 (please no 11x14seek7.gif ) and you have to tell them that you cant cut it from the file chosen. That really sucks!!!

Ive made my share of boo-boos in that regard....and now catch myself and "loosen" up the composition with a purpose.

FWIW....especially with receding BGs like this it should be shot a tad looser anyway to allow for straightening...if needed. I use a focus screen with an etched grid to help with THAT, but I often see right past those little black lines in the viewfinder.

Keep in mind that with the resolution at our fingertips these days it makes perfect sense to "see" the composition in there....yet frame it looser in camera to allow for tailoring in post. With a 15 mega pixel camera you could easily crop 2/3 of the frame away and produce a passable 8x10 with whats left.thumb.gif

...and tuck those images that we often see of wide open spaces with the subject seemingly small in the frame away in your mind. If other photogs can pull that off, you can too.

All that...I guess...to say that experience is the best teacher.

Im not at all thrilled...even pleased with this shot....but as a location...well...I shall return!!!...

837131241_UPUR3-S.jpg
    edited April 15, 2010
    gypsiwomen wrote:
    I really like these images...beautiful model! fantastic light! clap.gif

Hi Carolyn....and WELCOME to Dgrin!!!!clap.gif

Thanks for your input!

...and!!!

To keep folks from having to scroll through the images twice, you cam choose reply(below a post to the left) rather than quote (below at right).

or

If you want to quote the text.....do exactly as you did here and then select the images in the quote and delete them using the delete key on your keyboard.

No big deal, just trying to be helpful.thumb.gif

Again...welcome!:D
    edited April 15, 2010
    Allan FG wrote:
    The first one is really fantastic.

Thanks Allen.

It was also shot in natural light....with no modifyers.thumb.gif
  • SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2010
    These are beautiful. My only critique would be on #7. The panty line needs to come out. Besides being less than flattering to your subject, it distracts from an otherwise awesome shot. Nice work!
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
    edited April 15, 2010
    3 thru 7 are really great. 7 is simply superb! What a beautiful girl. thumb.gif Love the "tip of the hat" to Angie on 8. :D

Thanks Darren

Ive done plenty of park bench shots in the past to work myself into a method for them.

Heels are a must have. Locate the light to miss the front armrest. Seat the model at the edge and try to match up the arm and leg angles. Shoot from a low perspective!!!

I normally use a wider angle for these, but shot this with the 70-200. Im not bowled over with the edge of the grass running through the center of the frame, but I do like the DOF....or lack of it. I did shoot a few with the wider zoom...but this was the best of that batch IMO.

Thanks for commenting.thumb.gif
    edited April 15, 2010
    Surfdog wrote:
    These are beautiful. My only critique would be on #7. The panty line needs to come out. Besides being less than flattering to your subject, it distracts from an otherwise awesome shot. Nice work!

I agree Danny....I just dont typically get into those kind of edits unless she orders it for print....THEN Ill take care of it!

Thanks!!!thumb.gif
    edited April 15, 2010
    Her grandmother set this shot up for herself...and I took the hint and grabbed one as well...

9-
    837106529_nThUa-M.jpg

It was taken following this shot....that reminds me of Heatherfeather...

10-
    837103227_oh8JS-S.jpg

12- Another in the clover...it was hard to light...
    837101734_8CYXA-S.jpg

13- But my faves were the shots over the back of the chair.....I could toss everthing else and be completely happy with THAT series.
    837079739_2Sqkz-S.jpg
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2010
    Thanks for that, Jeff. And what did you use on #2 (the seated one against the graffitti wall)? That's the one that intrigues me....

And yeah, I try shooting looser - sometimes I get it, but it's just hard for me. I seem to mentally frame headshots even when I don't intend to lol. It may also be because for the most part I'm using a 50mm lens or longer on a crop camera - if I aim for looser, I feel terribly far away....

Hmm. I think this should be my next self-imposed challenge, by the sound of it - time to start working on 3/4 and full-length shots!

ETA (since we were posting at the same time) - I love seeing you use locations I've seen in other shots... differently! Bravo to you.
  • CaspianCaspian Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2010
    Another great set, Jeff. I love the chair shots too. There is a great counter balance of the stately pillars and the old chair. What things to you consider when deciding whether to darken edges and corners? Do you burn or use a colored fill?
    Thanks,
    David
    edited April 15, 2010
    divamum wrote:
    Thanks for that, Jeff. And what did you use on #2 (the seated one against the graffitti wall)? That's the one that intrigues me....

And yeah, I try shooting looser - sometimes I get it, but it's just hard for me. I seem to mentally frame headshots even when I don't intend to lol. It may also be because for the most part I'm using a 50mm lens or longer on a crop camera - if I aim for looser, I feel terribly far away....

Hmm. I think this should be my next self-imposed challenge, by the sound of it - time to start working on 3/4 and full-length shots!

ETA (since we were posting at the same time) - I love seeing you use locations I've seen in other shots... differently! Bravo to you.

Thanks...really...!!!

...and YES...I think you need to force yourself to compose that way....I too shoot a crop camera and often use long focal lengths......rarely shorter than 50mm. That wall shot was with the 17-55mm at 28mm. Its the type of shot that works with a wider angle and short focal length. I might try it again...closer...and even wider!rolleyes1.gif

You can see the umbrella in the wall shots, but when I looked through the viewfinder I realized there was enough sunlight reflecting from it that I shut down the speedlight. Its always nice to have harsh sunlight so near to the shade you are shooting in.thumb.gif

Thanks to her GM...

837674185_3U22h-L.jpg

837674205_uqmZn-L.jpg

837674220_PzDwc-L.jpg

837674213_xEzA2-L.jpg

837674228_iWbuP-L.jpg

837674167_mAo5Z-L.jpg

837674238_geLfL-L.jpg
  • ClixphotoClixphoto Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2010
    Another great series. I also enjoyed the editorial shots. My last shoot was my first after realizing that I needed to shoot "looser". It is hard to control yourself and leave the extra space when you have the perfect crop already in your mind.
  • barbnjonbarbnjon Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited April 15, 2010
    OH Wow! Thanks soooooo much for the pull backs!
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2010
    Really lovely set, Jeff! Loved seeing the scene from Grandma's point of view, too. You found some yummy light for these.

Did you ever share her sister's shots here, because she is really reminding me of someone. Beautiful girl.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2010
    Beauuuutiful! And I love, love, love the last one!!! iloveyou.gif
  • l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2010
    Wow, so grandmother totally gave away your prancing grounds :)

Great, spectacular, amazing, as always.

One question: Where in the WORLD is that gear from the first shot?? I need to go find that!!!

*Kinda off the subject, but I'm surprised you allowed GM to shoot "over your shoulder" in my experience, that's not always a good idea. Just me, though.
    edited April 15, 2010
    Elaine wrote:
    Really lovely set, Jeff! Loved seeing the scene from Grandma's point of view, too. You found some yummy light for these.

Did you ever share her sister's shots here, because she is really reminding me of someone. Beautiful girl.

Thanks Elaine....and yes....you might remember some of these....and the apple doesn't fall far from the tree...they both remind me very much of their mother.

...and I have held out on a shot of Shelby in a REALLY special ( to her and more so to her mother) location. She suggested it after hearing her GM and me talking...."if theres enough daylight left when we are finished". Sentimental me packed up the gear, called it a wrap, and rushed to the site. Ill share it here...in this thread after she has time to order her prints and surprise her mom. They arent on my website....she wants it to be a surprise. I cant wait.....stay tuned...

311244521_QqppE-M.jpg269104314_C5EJw-M-1.jpg

379726607_f7GEJ-M.jpg269070166_J55Ap-M-1.jpg

269071494_cshYy-M-1.jpg

269086948_BQzpv-M-1.jpg
    edited April 15, 2010
    Caspian wrote:
    Another great set, Jeff. I love the chair shots too. There is a great counter balance of the stately pillars and the old chair. What things to you consider when deciding whether to darken edges and corners? Do you burn or use a colored fill?
    Thanks,
    David

I dont burn....I either use levels on an inverted selection or color fill.....depending on the photograph and what Im after.

In portraits, the subject should always be the subject....I like for things to point to my subjects......be it receding lines in a background, angles of background clutter, sharpness, light, or contrast....even color. I like the subject to stand out.thumb.gif
    edited April 15, 2010
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Beauuuutiful! And I love, love, love the last one!!! iloveyou.gif

headscratch.gif

The last one meaning the one with your name above it....or the last of the series on page two. Im so confused.eek7.gif
    edited April 15, 2010
    Wow, so grandmother totally gave away your prancing grounds :)

Great, spectacular, amazing, as always.

One question: Where in the WORLD is that gear from the first shot?? I need to go find that!!!

*Kinda off the subject, but I'm surprised you allowed GM to shoot "over your shoulder" in my experience, that's not always a good idea. Just me, though.

These are all ...well mostly all public places.....the gear is on the old warf....and is posted "no tresspassing"....but the gate was openmwink.gif . I see other photogs at these same spots over and over......no big secret. I did take the time to google for Photographers in or around Baton Rouge that offer senior portraits. I wasn't hugely impressed, and saw a LOT of poor examples of portraiture. I didnt find ME on that search though....I need to fix that.:D

...and....I bought a pair of.....new to me... Kodak Duaflex cameras. One has the nifty leather snap case, and the other has a flash set up(which wont work, but looks cool). The shutter only works on one, but you can bet Ill load one up with film and experiment!

Why.... They remind me of my grandmother!ne_nau.gif
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2010
    Wow bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    1/5/7/9/13 were my favorites out the bunch, but really, what a beautifully varied set. Thanks also for all the additional GM shots and explanation.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2010
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    These are all ...well mostly all public places.....the gear is on the old warf....and is posted "no tresspassing"....but the gate was openmwink.gif . I see other photogs at these same spots over and over......no big secret. I did take the time to google for Photographers in or around Baton Rouge that offer senior portraits. I wasn't hugely impressed, and saw a LOT of poor examples of portraiture. I didnt find ME on that search though....I need to fix that.:D

We were wondering if you were on the "no trespassing" dock :) I've never been there (everytime I go, there's a cop under the bridge) but one day!!
    ...and....I bought a pair of.....new to me... Kodak Duaflex cameras. One has the nifty leather snap case, and the other has a flash set up(which wont work, but looks cool). The shutter only works on one, but you can bet Ill load one up with film and experiment!

Why.... They remind me of my grandmother!ne_nau.gif

Sounds like we need a Kodak Medium Format field trip, I have a Brownie I got for Christmas (moments after I opened the 40D - go figure) that I have yet to test... I LOVE my Brownies! I only want ones that work so that makes my challenge a bit harder. I brought one on a field trip with Monkey and got stopped a few times with "Is that what I think it is? WHERE did you find that?" Gotta love thrift stores!
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2010
    The shot just above....leaning on lamp post, bridge in BG...Great shot my friend! thumb.gif
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2010
    question - in one of the shots from the GM it looks like you and Shelby are looking at a magazine or book or something... do you bring that along to help decide on poses or ideas?
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2010
    STUNNING work, you never cease to impress!
    edited April 20, 2010
    The shot just above....leaning on lamp post, bridge in BG...Great shot my friend! thumb.gif

Thanks...its an oldie....but a goodie!
    edited April 20, 2010
    Kinkajou wrote:
    question - in one of the shots from the GM it looks like you and Shelby are looking at a magazine or book or something... do you bring that along to help decide on poses or ideas?

I have a book of womens poses that I sometimes give to clients ahead of time. I ask them yo mark a pose if it jumps out at them and we can try to fit it into their shoot. Ive gotten a few good ideas this way. Often, the pose as chosen doesnt work exactly right, but trying them can lead to new and fun poses.

She chose a pose seated in a chair, for example, that just didnt work well....but trying it...bringing the chair...led to a whole slew of supeer fun poses in the chair.thumb.gif