Outdoor portraits

MacushlaMacushla Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
edited April 19, 2010 in People
I love looking at everyone's senior portraits so I thought I'd try some similar looks with my little guy. I learned a bunch of things, mostly it is much harder than it looks!!! I think I will try a fill flash with the next one and wait a bit later so the shadows are not as harsh. In the first 2 I tried to lighten the face in PP but it lost something. I just read through the Sticky on Fill flash for outdoor shots, I missed that one before I took these but I'll try it on the next kid.

I'd love some suggestions.

DSC_0133.jpg

DSC_0147.jpg

DSC_0201.jpg

And just for fun (this was part of a local photography group assignment on lens burst or swirl)

4. sean%20burst%203.jpg

C&C always welcome!!! Here are a few more.

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2010
    #3 is very nice.....the best of the bunch!thumb.gif
  • MacushlaMacushla Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2010
    Thanks Jeff. That's my favorite also. Hopefully I'll get better ones next time.
  • CaspianCaspian Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2010
    I like them all and especially #3. I would be interested in seeing 1 and 3 composed or cropped so that his eyes weren't so much in the center of the frame.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2010
    +1 on #3.
    I think the first one suffers from too much harsh sun on his head and arm and a very busy background. The second one also has a pretty distracting background and the focus seems a bit off (the stones are very sharp but his eyes are not).

#3 is really nice. b/g blurs out nicely and he has a nice expression. I think the image could be a little warmer (notice how grey his hair is compared to the other two) and perhaps a little brighter (not totally sure there).

last one is cool.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited April 16, 2010
    Thanks you guys so much for the great suggestions. I will work on them.
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2010
    Cute little boy and I agree with the pp's that #3 is the best of the bunch. I'm also with andrew on warming it up a bit. I got that "grey" feeling about the hair that Andrew noticed. I noticed that first and then went on to see that adorable dimple and natural expression! Great capture. The bike one is super fun. I bet he'd love that blown up for his wall! Nice job with these. clap.gif
    edited April 17, 2010
    My photoshop skills are limited but here's a warmer version. I only have a laptop and it is not calibrated so that doesn't help either. I think the gray on his hair is the sun bouncing off the stones, maybe? He was backlit to some extent. I may go out again today, it is really cloudy the light might be nice.

Sean%20Final%20Port2.jpg
    edited April 17, 2010
    I like the warmer colors. How do you like this crop? It's a standard 8x10 format and moves the eyes off center.
    edited April 17, 2010
    Caspian wrote:
    I like the warmer colors. How do you like this crop? It's a standard 8x10 format and moves the eyes off center.

I like it, thanks so much. :D
    edited April 17, 2010
    Mini man, take two. Any better?

DSC_0088.JPG

Sean%20OP%206.jpg

Sean%20OP%204.jpg

I think the colors are more saturated, I like that about them. (they are so much nicer looking on my home computer - they loose a lot of the color when I import them to picassa - you get what you pay for right?) I am definitely struggling with the fill flash - it did not work out as well as I had hoped. I think by this point I had ditched it.

C&C Most appreciated.
    edited April 18, 2010
    I like the composition and the colors in all three. In #1, the fill flash left some unnatural shadows under his eyes and a sharp shadow behind his head. The other two look fine and if you were using fill, it is not obvious. The background in #2 is a little busy but it is a nice shot.

I like the way you incorporated the comments from the first round of posts. Your model is going to want a raise in his allowance.
    edited April 18, 2010
    Caspian wrote:
    I like the composition and the colors in all three. In #1, the fill flash left some unnatural shadows under his eyes and a sharp shadow behind his head. The other two look fine and if you were using fill, it is not obvious. The background in #2 is a little busy but it is a nice shot.

I like the way you incorporated the comments from the first round of posts. Your model is going to want a raise in his allowance.

I am trying!!!:D I went back and looked at the photo info for all of them and I was using the fill flash in all. It is in the hot shoe on the camera, I kept changing the angle on it but I really still don't have the hang of it. I've got to read more about fill flash.

Mini man was loosing it by the end - here is one where the fill flash was a total bust, there are a bunch like this.
    DSC_0095.JPG
    edited April 18, 2010
    You'll want to save that one to show his Prom date. To soften the fill, you can buy a diffuser that will fit on the flash head or you can attach a white index card with a rubber band and it will reflect light back on to the subject. Try playing around with the flash exposure compensation and back off the flash by two stops and see how you like that effect. You can play with different amount of FEC to see what you like.
    edited April 18, 2010
    Here are some of the other kids from yesterday. C&C always welcome. Am I heading in the right direction?

1. She was the first one I did and I had a lot of problems
    with the fill flash. There were not that many usable ones.
    She has braces and doesn't like to smile right now. :D
    Brenna%20OP%2022.jpg

Pat%20OP%201.jpg

Brendan%204.jpg

Here are some of the others from the day.
    edited April 19, 2010
    I like all three. Can you lighten #1 by about a stop and warm it a little? It is a nice picture. #3 is my favorite of this bunch. You really have all the elements for a nice casual portrait.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    Caspian wrote:
    I like all three. Can you lighten #1 by about a stop and warm it a little? It is a nice picture. #3 is my favorite of this bunch. You really have all the elements for a nice casual portrait.
    15524779-Ti.gif
    #3 is really wonderful (IMHO)
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited April 19, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif
    #3 is really wonderful (IMHO)

Careful, I'm going to get a big head soon. Oh, never mind I'm humbled again by my lack of photoshop skills. Here's my attempt at fixing #1. I am going to go again with her and see if I can get something better. They are so much warmer on my computer, they really loose a lot when I upload them.

Brenna%20Post%20Redo.jpg
    edited April 19, 2010
    UGHHHHHHHH I just looked at these photos on my other computer. I have a regular Macbook, I looked at them on my kids gateway PC and they look totally different. On the macbook the colors are much duller and the focus seems really soft, now I see why people have been saying I'm over sharpening my photos. They do look crazy on the PC.

:cry:cry:cry I tried calibrating the macbook with the built in calibration assistant but it is really hard and no matter what I do the colors are not as bright or the clarity as good as on the Gateway monitor. Is it possible to edit photos on a laptop? Should I be saving up for a new computer... I've been saving up for a new lens. There is definitely not enough money to go around. :cry:cry:cry

I guess if there is a bright side to this, my focus is not as soft as I thought it was. ne_nau.gif
    edited April 19, 2010
    What kind of monitor do you have on the Gateway? I would have expected the Mac display to be better. I like the warmer and lighter version of this shot.
    edited April 19, 2010
    Caspian wrote:
    What kind of monitor do you have on the Gateway? I would have expected the Mac display to be better. I like the warmer and lighter version of this shot.

It is the standard monitor that came with the Gateway bundle. My mac is a laptop, it is about 5 years old.