cc on process please!

toddbtoddb Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
edited April 15, 2010 in People
Self-teaching finishing work in photoshop and feel like I may be going a little too far at times, but would love some thoughts from you folks - not necessarily the shots, but thoughts on processing certain ways when and why. Feel like I've gotten hooked on a certain style and may need to back off some. These are a few shots after getting ready for dance recital -- not a big fan of the makeup on a kid, but understand that's part of the show:

pretty much straight out of camera:
836460380_MDoYh-L.jpg

boosting the saturation a bit and adding a little contrast:
836454760_3NnbL-L.jpg

heavier saturation and even more in the eyes:
836462794_dGpze-L.jpg

B/W and trying to keep it a little softer:
836456366_hF2mv-L.jpg

B/W and harsher contrast. I was trying to play up her lashes (which are very long) but as a self-critique I think this is the biggest example of overdoing things a bit and what I might tend to do too much of -- thoughts? However, have had positive response on this shot.
836463765_oHNcL-L.jpg

Comments

• ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2010
    I really like the shots. As for the extra contrast on the last one, I tend to like high contrast. That may be a bit higher than I like, but it definitely does showcase the lashes. Maybe try bumping up just the lashes a bit and calming down the contrast on the rest?
  • toddbtoddb Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2010
    thanks for the thought
    I'll try your suggestion. Probably the kind of thing I need to do more of -- selectively working on certain parts of the picture. I tend to only do that with some sharpening and brightening of the eyes.

I should also mention all of these shots got a little sharpening -- which I tend to almost always add automatically.
  • l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2010
    ADORABLE little girl!!! SO sweet!!!!

Her makeup isn't *that* noticeable, so I wouldn't worry about it.

The second one looks a bit red to me, it might be the uncalibrated monitor, but it might be worth a second look.

The b/w conversion of her from above (looking at you) is great, IMHO. The other, darker one, I agree with leaving her lashes but toning down the contrast just a bit.

If you get the chance, see if you can't get some of her alone (or appearing to be alone) in the studio, a wall full of mirrors is GREAT for bouncing around some light. I did a senior shoot in one over the summer and they're some of my favorite to date. Just watch for a flash reflection if you're using a flash :)

Super sweet shots - how about one of her tying up her shoes? Those always melt hearts when she's older.