reworked

PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
edited April 18, 2010 in Street and Documentary
A few from IndiaFest last summer that I've reworked in B&W

837986468_gbGWR-L.jpg

837993836_9RMi4-L.jpg

837998377_aTrZ7-L.jpg
The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography

Comments

• rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2010
    These are all very intriguing shots and well done.

But, OF COURSE, I just have to wonder about the color versions because I think of Indian clothing as being wonderfully colorful. (Of course, had you posted color, others would have wondered about the B & W...)
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2010
    I can't take my eyes off of #1. I feel trapped in beautiful texture-land. #2 is wonderful as well. I think this is a perfect use of B&W. Colour would have drawn attention away from the composition.
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2010
    Patti,
    I meant to comment on these last night but got sidetracked.

Love the series!

I understand the desire to want to see them in color only because I'm sure they are exquisite, but the b&w just works (make sense?)

Don't have a favorite they are all bowdown.gif . The last one cracked me up--her coach bag seems so out of place.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2010
    Interesting comments about the colour vs B&W. Here is the original colour version of #1. When I first downloaded the shots I was so disappointed. They just didn't grab me the way I thought they would - all I saw was orange and although orange is my favourite colour it just wasn't doing it for me. Then, last night I revisited the folder of shots and decided to strip the colour away. The composition that I wanted to capture jumped off the page at me. I never in a million years thought I'd ever like India related photos in B&W - all that colour washed away. *sniff* See what you've done to me?! rolleyes1.gif

601584794_VksLe-L.jpg
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer

patti hinton photography
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2010
    Patti wrote:
    . *sniff* See what you've done to me?! rolleyes1.gif

Say goodbye to your colorful life... :(:

And let me warn you against the seductive allure of Liz's high contrast ways... :nono ...rolleyes1.gif
    edited April 16, 2010
    rainbow wrote:
    Say goodbye to your colorful life... :(:

And let me warn you against the seductive allure of Liz's high contrast ways... :nono ...rolleyes1.gif

She's already got me hooked on that habit I'm afraid. I hear you're offering rehab for that addiction mwink.gif

patti hinton photography
  • JavierJavier Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2010
    The second one is superb! Excellent thumb.gif
    edited April 17, 2010
    Javier wrote:
    The second one is superb! Excellent thumb.gif

Thanks Javier! The colour version was pretty with all the beautiful saris but her eyes didn't stand out nearly as well

patti hinton photography
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2010
    Patti wrote:
    She's already got me hooked on that habit I'm afraid. I hear you're offering rehab for that addiction mwink.gif

rolleyes1.gif too funny ladies.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2010
    Wonderful!

I can't help wondering if a tighter crop of #2, losing the two partial participants to the right, might bring out the interaction between two ladies in the foreground. I viewed from my netbook, which has such low resolution that the corp happened on its own, and I liked it.

I may be projecting a bit though, as I always seem to wish I had cropped tighter.