Breakfast

michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
edited April 22, 2010 in Street and Documentary
821322228_3fRWW-XL-1.jpg

Comments

• Nate15Nate15 Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited April 16, 2010
    I really like it. The guys in the background are a little distracting though. But that is being picky.
    The bigger the chalenge, the more room for success.

Canon EOS Rebel XSi
    18-55mm EF-S lens
  • WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2010
    I think the guys in the background add to the image. I see a woman so engrossed in her breakfast that she is in her own world and oblivious to everything around her.

Nice shot.
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • JavierJavier Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2010
    I like the image but can't help but wonder and believe it will look better in black and white. There is a good compromise there.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited April 17, 2010
    Nice composition and I love the smoke. I think it works fine in color. The food and fork would probably be less clear in B&W.
  • JavierJavier Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2010
    One of the coolest things about photography is how we see images in different ways. I think the black and white will enhance the smoke more and highlight the breakfast eater.
    In either case, it has us talking and that is good. :)
  • NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2010
    Wachel wrote:
    I think the guys in the background add to the image. I see a woman so engrossed in her breakfast that she is in her own world and oblivious to everything around her.
    Nice shot.

thumb.gif

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    Thanks guys. Shot in Ningbo.
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    michswiss wrote:

Very nice one, Jen - and it would, of course, be nothing without the folks in the background. Two things to think about: First, I wonder if it might not have benefited from even less depth of field. And, two, I'd try this crop:

821322228_3fRWW-XL-1.jpg

B. D.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    Very nice one, Jen - and it would, of course, be nothing without the folks in the background. Two things to think about: First, I wonder if it might not have benefited from even less depth of field. And, two, I'd try this crop:

B. D.

Thanks B.D. I can always redo the crop, but not so much the depth of field. It was a choice at the time. Maybe shallower dof could have isolated the woman a little better. Agree that without the men in the background or the smoke, it's not interesting.
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    Thanks B.D. I can always redo the crop, but not so much the depth of field. It was a choice at the time. Maybe shallower dof could have isolated the woman a little better. Agree that without the men in the background or the smoke, it's not interesting.

I suggest the shallower depth of field - as a future thought - because the man closest to your subject is a bit distracting, but only because he is virtually as sharp as she is, and seems to fight for attention. I believe that would not be the case were she isolated a bit more.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    I do like this one. I would have the same problem with DOF. I actually usually set on f/4 for that effect, BUT, even as B.D. alludes ("f8 and be there!"), f/8 is the street photo setting to be able to raise the camera and snap away to get the shot...
  • sabeshsabesh Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    Very nice capture! However, I don't see how cropping will benefit the picture. A shallower DOF would have benefited the picture incrementally. Thanks for sharing. Cheers.
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    Excellent composition. I agree that black and white would add more than it would detract.