Options

LIGHT Discussion: HDR

Comments

• Options
    TharhawkTharhawk Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    I'm typically in the 'don't like' category. Like someone mentioned, it is noticeable. The colors always look off to me...not always, but I can tell something isn't right. I wish I could add more than my thoughts, but since most of my photography is on the run - action stuff, it isn't a technique I've used, so I can't discuss that. That being said, I would like to try 2 image blends on some landscape photos.
    More photos: www.alpinestateofmind.com
    Ski Mountaineering stories: www.cascadecrusades.org
    Jason Hummel photography on:
    FACEBOOK
  • Options
    ABCLABCL Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited April 23, 2010
    The only way to get a huge HDR range is to use a Medium/Large format camera. It can be hard to judge a scene from memory 'how you saw it' in photomatix.

Pentax 67 bodies are only like £250 though wings.gif (about $340?)
  • Options
    hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2010
    I have been thinking more about what Ron said about Photomatix vs. hand blending of three exposures and decided to try and experiment. So, I'm throwing a bit of a grenade over the wall here.

I took one of my recent shots that I used Photomatix to preprocess the initial tonemapping and continued in Photoshop and then took the same shots and did hand blending in Photoshop (no HDR software at all). I applied the same curve adjustment techniques once I had blended I used with the HDR version. It's not completely scientific since everything isn't exactly the same and blending techniques become subjective, but what do people think? Admittedly both take a little while to process like this but there is some definite differences. Now I do use a polarizer and grad ND on these so I'm already knocking down the range to start in all three exposures.

Same three exposures used in both cases.

First is the Photomatix processed tif which was then adjusted in Photoshop

844500224_DRJxu-L.jpg

Second, hand blended exposures then similar curve adjustments.

845329049_PxK7B-L.jpg

Certainly there are differences and I made different decisions on how I wanted them to look but I was trying for a similar feel. I wanted to get details in the clouds and also some of the yellow light reflecting off the rocks to show through. I didn't look at my original attempt until I had completed the second so I wasn't trying to match just see what naturally fell out.

I have my opinion, what's yours?
  • Options
    willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2010
    Here's another HDR that overcame very high contrast ratios and kept the detail in the stonework. I find HDR particularly good for Architectural work.

Single frames either had burned-out highlights or muddy shadows and the HDR shows it all. Only a little PP done on HDR image after images were merged.

hdr_0774.jpg
    It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2010
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    I have been thinking more about what Ron said about Photomatix vs. hand blending of three exposures and decided to try and experiment. So, I'm throwing a bit of a grenade over the wall here.

I took one of my recent shots that I used Photomatix to preprocess the initial tonemapping and continued in Photoshop and then took the same shots and did hand blending in Photoshop (no HDR software at all). I applied the same curve adjustment techniques once I had blended I used with the HDR version. It's not completely scientific since everything isn't exactly the same and blending techniques become subjective, but what do people think? Admittedly both take a little while to process like this but there is some definite differences. Now I do use a polarizer and grad ND on these so I'm already knocking down the range to start in all three exposures.

Same three exposures used in both cases.

First is the Photomatix processed tif which was then adjusted in Photoshop

Second, hand blended exposures then similar curve adjustments.

Certainly there are differences and I made different decisions on how I wanted them to look but I was trying for a similar feel. I wanted to get details in the clouds and also some of the yellow light reflecting off the rocks to show through. I didn't look at my original attempt until I had completed the second so I wasn't trying to match just see what naturally fell out.

I have my opinion, what's yours?

I have tried this experiment as well, with mixed results. Admittedly, my photoshop blending skills are novice, but I prefer the photmattix version in this non-scientific experiment.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 23, 2010

Like a Abalone I think HDR should be pried from its foundation, stretched, yanked and pounded until ready to eat:D

Spoken like a true diver, Marc! And I am certain hdr will be with us for the long haul, one way or another.

I do like hdr and the ability it offers to create images that may, or may not, reflect the viewer's perceived reality.

Like a lot of sauces, it can be very good or very bad, depending on the chef. But it is still just the sauce!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 25, 2010
    Aside from Schmoo......
    Are there any women HDR'ers?
    or is this just a mans techno geeky item to hang on the tool belt?
    Me, me! :D
    I love what the HDR technique allows me to achieve when the dynamic range of the scene is too great, but like most of you I am not a fan of exaggerated cartoon-like processing. It's a fine line though and very easy to cross. Those sliders are just sooo tempting. rolleyes1.gif Seriously, the natural look is often quite hard to achieve and I don't always succeed.

As for my methods, sometimes I use three photos with different exposures and merge them in Photomatix, and other times I blend them in Photoshop, and sometimes both. It really depends on the scene.

Some of you may have seen some of my HDR work posted here before.

B15-Bohinj-118.jpg

V08-Vintgar-047-W.jpg

S27-SvAna-121-HDRa.jpg

F12-fields-129-HDR.jpg

P12-Predaselj-070-HDR.jpg

A24-KamnVrh-190-Hpm.jpg

H17-KamnVrh-081-Hpm.jpg

G42-3Zelenci-232-Hpm.jpg

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2010
    Those are just Beautiful Ana!!!bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumb
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Alpha_PlusAlpha_Plus Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2010
    WOW Ana! Top Shots!!! clap.gif They all look so real as if I was standing there. That last one especially! Great work! thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Induro CT-014 Tripod
    karllindsayphotography.com | Photos on Facebook | 500px
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2010
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2010
    Yeh Ana

You have obviously been exercising your HDR skillsdeal.gif Great workthumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2010
    Very very nice Ana!! Those are great!

Here is one from our walk yesterday afternoon. This was 3 exposures taken handheld with my Cannon s90. I was pretty happy with the results. I agree with the comments that HDR is just another tool in the tool box.

Ron

847358186_6v76H-XL.jpg
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • Options
    dave6253dave6253 Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    Incredible images Ana!bowdown.gif They make a really strong case FOR HDR!
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    Some beautiful images here and some great words too. I use some minimal HDR techniques. Mostly in camera multiple exposure and combining when light is not ideal. I have thought about software for it but have not pulled the trigger.
    But what makes me smile is when I am accused of doing HDR when I was lucky enough to be blessed with wonderful light and maybe tweak it a bit with a Circ Polarizer or Grad ND filter.
    I am not against HDR but I love it when the light and exposure all come together.

In camera multi exposure 1/3 stops 5 shots. I can tell from the buzzard that it was a five shot he was the only thing moving
    476588543_jECce-L.jpg
    Recent sunset with Grad ND
    825430727_jcswZ-L.jpg
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    PrevailingConditionsPrevailingConditions Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    I'm finding that I end up bracketing shots more often than not these days. Sometimes I turn them into HDR, sometimes not. Here are a couple that were bracketed, but I tried to keep it somewhat subtle.

4552286053_fd550bfa10_o.jpg

4550815131_baf6fc14d1_o.jpg

4524568939_5c0f5d622b_o.jpg

Thoughts?

Thanks!

PC
    flickr
    I welcome your feedback, but leave the editing to me - thanks!
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2010
    Love it PC. Excellent blending of exposures imo clap.gif
  • Options
    PrevailingConditionsPrevailingConditions Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    dlplumer wrote:
    Love it PC. Excellent blending of exposures imo clap.gif

Thanks Dan. I really appreciate the feedback.

Mike
    flickr
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2010
    oh my god these are some of the most beautiful images I have seen on dgrin. where have you guys been hiding?
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    RxRickRxRick Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    I'm finding that I end up bracketing shots more often than not these days. Sometimes I turn them into HDR, sometimes not. Here are a couple that were bracketed, but I tried to keep it somewhat subtle.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

PC

Dang, those church shots are amazing. I had to check my face to see if I was wearing 3-D glasses. Nice work.

--RxRick
  • Options
    PatHIversonPatHIverson Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited May 1, 2010
    I must add that every single shot on this thread is awesome!! I could not figure out which one I liked the best.

Thanks for the shares.

Pat
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2010
    RxRick wrote: »
    Dang, those church shots are amazing. I had to check my face to see if I was wearing 3-D glasses. Nice work.

--RxRick

Thanks, I'm pretty happy with how they turned out, even though some of the stained glass windows were a little hotter than I would like. I'm very impressed with the workmanship that went into this building. Really some amazing detail.

This is St. Joseph's Cathedral in downtown San Jose, CA.

Thanks again,

Mike
    flickr
  • Options
    The StigThe Stig Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    Hi guys

I'm a for HDR, I have only got the program on Friday night just gone and I'm well hooked, however I'm a shamed to say that I do transferrer into cartoon land with my images at times by over doing them, hey a least I'm honest and admit it.

Anyhoo, I will set myself up to be smashed and post my site address, tried to upload the below image, however it keeps asking me for a key.

http://www.sinclairjonesphotography.com/Other/HDR/12020661_Sn3G6#852922802_Ctahj

The images I have been playing with are single images not multiple one's as they have been taken when I was on holiday's in Hong Kong

I would like to get some feedback what you guys think and if you can tell me about noise reduction program/s as the image I have posted/ sent a link has a slight amount of noise from the HDR process.

Thanks again and fantastic images above

Chris ;p
    www.sinclairjonesphotography.com
  • Options
    The StigThe Stig Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    Church Shots
    WOW........ they are amazing................. that is by far the best HDR I have looked at in a while, well done.
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2010
    Stig, many here would say (I am sure) that they do not like these. "They are over processed, cartoonish, unnatural, etc". I am clear they they are not intended to look natural, but rather surreal. I like them a lot and appreciate them for what they are intended to be. I looked at your website, and clearly you know how to capture natural looking landscapes. These are supposed to be 'cartoonish' and surreal, and they are very good imo. thumb.gif

PS: I particularly like the 'table' shot.
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2010
    jamesl wrote: »
    I view HDR techniques as just another tool in my box used to recreate a scene the best I can. I love it for certain situations, and I bracket almost all of my shots now with the intent of creating a tone mapped end result.

James,

Aside from the HDR aspect, these shots are amazing. Thank you for sharing the shots and your insight.

Mike
    flickr
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2010
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Great stuff here. Here's a couple of mine:

I really like those first two! Some wonderful shots. clap.gif

Mike
    flickr
  • Options
    ChanderjeetChanderjeet Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    Sorry for the Hijack but I simply love HDR
    clap.gif

archive.jpg

3906079527_946aa90700_o.jpg

4351224868_0bc2fa9c00_o.jpg

4514689114_296bb915c9_o.jpg
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    I think the biggest "problem" with HDR is that people who use it too much get to a point where their eyes don't really REMEMBER what the scene was like -- and you get these over saturated over vivid images that scream 'Look at me look at me, I'm over done HDR!". But the people don't realize it because they've spent so much time looking and processing those images, they've lost their grasp of the reality of the moment they were trying to capture.

There are some GREAT HDR images in here. Ones that bring out what the eye saw but was lost in the camera (in one shot). But there are many where I'm looking for the 'vivid' control bar and trying to tone it back, because that image? It's NOT reality.

Hate me for it, don't really care. Just have fun with it -- people don't have to love what you do so long as you do.
    //Leah
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    I just think there are two kinds of HDR images - photos and art.

Photos that still look like photos

There are HDR images where HDR is used to enhance a photo to be able to see things that your eyes would have been able to see, but the limited DR of the sensor cannot capture well in one shot. These will not look like HDR images. They will not show halos. Colors will look like colors typically look in photos. You will just be able to see detail in a wider dynamic range than a typical photo can show. If you're really experienced, you may be able to recognize that the scene probably couldn't be recorded in a single shot, but other than that, the image won't scream HDR to you in any way. You won't see the HDR processing itself.

Photos that have been turned into art

When it no longer looks like a photo to me, it's art. There's nothing wrong with art as long as the creator realizes that it is now art and no longer really looks like a photo. I've seen some beautiful HDR art.

The in-between

In my opinion, the misuse of HDR is when the creator wants their image to be perceived as a realistic photo, yet they've changed it so much from reality using HDR tools that it no longer looks anything like a photo and certainly no longer looks anything like the original scene. Here the image is stuck in between. in my opinion, it should either be presented as art or maintained as a realistic photo.

The technically bad

Some HDR techniques can be overused and they just look bad no matter what the intention of the image. The misuse doesn't make good photos and doesn't make good art. Large and significant halos are one such example. They can be a by-product of either too much shadow/highlights or too much of some HDR settings.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    wow amazing stuff guys !
    Nice to see how people are using same technique for different looking styles of HDR.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery