If Fred Flintstone had a Camera ... (image heavy)

wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
edited April 17, 2010 in Landscapes
If Fred and Barney had a camera and lived between 14,000 and 25,000 years ago, then ran (insert bongo drums) their little Flintstonemobile from Death Valley to west of what is now Barstow, CA. along the Mojave River in the Mojave Desert examining and taking snapshots of the lake system along the way, the following is what they may have saw.

798-manly-telescope-j7026.jpg
Lake Manly

798-c-silver-lake-0220-v2.jpg
Silver Lake (Ancient Lake Mojave)

798-soda-lake-3994-95.jpg
Soda Lake (Ancient Lake Mojave)

798-east-cronese-j6882.jpg
East Cronese

798-west-cronese-j6863-v2.jpg
West Cronese

798-j127367-mannix-v3c.jpg
Ancient Lake Mannix

798-troy-j6078-v2.jpg
Troy Lake

798-coyote-j1649-v2.jpg
Coyote Lake

harper-788-m2-j111012.jpg
Harper Lake

Most of the shots were initially of the lakes while dry, but reflections (and some skies) were added to recreate how these lakes may have appeared (disregarding flora and fauna).

The project calls to show these lakes, the channels between them and the watershed as it may have existed during the described period. There are another dozen or so images of the features between and beyond the lakes and up into the mountains to be included in the presentation next week, but with this milestone complete, I'm going to take a little hike this afternoon- one last shot in the watershed.
Anybody can do it.

Comments

• Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2010
    Fascinating work Walterthumb.gifthumb

What a concept and great execution. You deserve a walkwings.gif
  • PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2010
    ahhh wait...so these lakes are not really there? If so you did an amazing job!
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2010
    Fascinating work Walterthumb.gifthumb

What a concept and great execution. You deserve a walkwings.gif

Thanks Marc! A hazy and somewhat blah sunset, but it was still good to be out.

-
    Anybody can do it.
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2010
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    ahhh wait...so these lakes are not really there? If so you did an amazing job!

Thanks.

Typically they are all dry lakes (playas), and only have water on the surface occasionally, maybe one or twice over ten years. A couple of these shots are from 2005 when there was standing water in the lake. One from 2008 and the rest are recreated.

Lake Manix hasn't been in existance for over 14,000 years. I'd like to thank the city of Barstow and the communities of Daggett, Yermo, and Newberry Springs for leaving their garden hoses on all night for me to get a nice shot. :)

I've had the idea for a few years and have been shooting since last December. The processing has been done over the last week or two.

Now I have to figure out the stuff to say. The audience that will be seeing the presentation are pretty sharp about this junk.
    Anybody can do it.