Help me spend money :D

EmancipatorEmancipator Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
edited April 21, 2010 in Cameras
Should I buy a D90 and a Nikon 16-85mm lens OR a D300s? :dunno
I have been contemplating getting the D300s and really am not sure if I need it, but I would like to! I shoot mostly landscapes but otherwise a little bit of everything. Those 51 focus points really interest me. I guess the real question is a year from now will I regret not having a better body or a better lens? Cheers! :thumb

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 17, 2010
    The order of priority of purchase for quality photography is generally (depending on the specific photographic pursuit):

1) Light
    2) Lens(es)
    3) Camera Body

If you shoot primarily outdoor, daytime sports action photography then you would probably switch the priority to:

1) Camera Body
    2) Lens(es)
    3) Light

If you shoot primarily Birds in flight your priorities might change again.

Figure out how you will be using the equipment, set some realistic goals for purchase, and make a plan to realize those goals. (Then remind me to follow my own advice. mwink.gif )
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2010
    Should I buy a D90 and a Nikon 16-85mm lens OR a D300s? ne_nau.gif
    I have been contemplating getting the D300s and really am not sure if I need it, but I would like to! I shoot mostly landscapes but otherwise a little bit of everything. Those 51 focus points really interest me. I guess the real question is a year from now will I regret not having a better body or a better lens? Cheers! thumb.gif

have you ever thought about buying a used D200 or D300 and spending the rest of the money on quality glass? You can find D200's for about $500-600. I got mine with 3k clicks and I paid $600. Then I spent the rest of my money on a 24-70 2.8 which is completely awesome and probably the best lens I have used to date.
  • EmancipatorEmancipator Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited April 17, 2010
    Well I originally had a Nikon Coolpix, then a Rebel XTi. Nothing now. I want to upgrade. I really don't need a D300s, but want it anyways. :D I have a Tokina 11-16mm now. I will probably get the Nikon 16-85mm eventually if not with the D90. I want a camera that will last me and not be outdated the moment I buy it I guess? I "heard" it will be replaced soon? That is my biggest concern. I would love to have the 24-70 2.8 but right now I need something good to shoot with first and cannot go beyond about $1,600 anyways. Probably the best thing to do would to go to the store and feel them both and see which one I could live with? ne_nau.gif
    edited April 18, 2010
    So I said the heck with it and decided on the D90 and the Nikon 17-55mm 2.8! bowdown.gif

Can anyone tell me what to expect with this lens? Bokeh? Thanks! :D
    edited April 18, 2010
    So I said the heck with it and decided on the D90 and the Nikon 17-55mm 2.8! bowdown.gif

Can anyone tell me what to expect with this lens? Bokeh? Thanks! :D

The 17-55 is a great lens. The photog I intern for uses it as his bread and butter. You will be happy with it for sure! Did you buy it new or did you buy the used one for sale in the Nikon flea market on this site?
    edited April 19, 2010
    Wha? eek7.gif Aw, no I didn't see it! Darn. Well im glad I gave in, I just hope my d90 can keep up. thumb.gif
    edited April 19, 2010
    Wha? eek7.gif Aw, no I didn't see it! Darn. Well im glad I gave in, I just hope my d90 can keep up. thumb.gif

I have a D90 and I love it. I bought a D200 because it has an intervalometer so that I can do time lapse stuff.
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    That is a great combo and a huge step up too. The 300s is a lot more camera. But glass is key. The 17-55 is a killer lens. I think you made a good choice.
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    Well I originally had a Nikon Coolpix, then a Rebel XTi. Nothing now. I want to upgrade. I really don't need a D300s, but want it anyways. :D I have a Tokina 11-16mm now. I will probably get the Nikon 16-85mm eventually if not with the D90. I want a camera that will last me and not be outdated the moment I buy it I guess? I "heard" it will be replaced soon? That is my biggest concern. I would love to have the 24-70 2.8 but right now I need something good to shoot with first and cannot go beyond about $1,600 anyways. Probably the best thing to do would to go to the store and feel them both and see which one I could live with? ne_nau.gif

I use my S5 Pro more than my D700 so latest and greatest isn't everything.

Either camera will do all you really need so as for stills (I don't know video):

D300 will have:
    -More AF points
    -Better build quality
    -Physical controls (fewer menus/multi-button combination's to change the most common settings)

Also I would look at the Tamron 17-50 2.8, it has a different set of strengths than the Nikon but might work better for you.