Not Fragile

Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
edited April 21, 2010 in Holy Macro
Another attempt in learning to use my manual ring flash on my digital body. Basically it's trial and error. I took this today in between rain showers. I used a fast shutter speed to minimize any movement in the branches (it seems whenever I go out to do macro stuff, the wind kicks up). Anyway, it's not what I want exactly, it's too clinical and cold, but it's a start. I need to play some more and find out whether I can fake a slow-curtain flash type of effect. It's also a matter of dialing down the flash output and holding it in the right way (it's a ring flash that I hand hold beside the lens). Anyway...I'm blathering now, but hopefully I'm heading in the right direction.

4528022131_322fccfb7b_b.jpg

Olympus E-30 | OM 90mm f2 | T10 Ring Flash | ISO 100 | 1/250 sec | f16

comments welcome as is advice/anecdotes/experience on adapting manual gear to a digital body.

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2010
    Well not quite sure what you are trying to do but love the photo - came out very well. At those camera settings I guessing most of the light is from the flash so shutter speed becomes a bit irrelevant - it's the flash duration that determines the exposure time. I suspect The only thing I would be playing with would be trying to find a way to diffuse the flash output a bit.

Brian v.
  • run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2010
    #1 - I like it. I like it more than you seem to. :D

#2 - I'm jealous of your 90mm Zuiko. NICE.
  • Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2010
    Thanks for the insight Brian...and yes, I'm with you on the diffusing point. I had tried a paper towel, but in wet situations that's not the best. Will keep trying though.

I'm glad you like it run_kmc, it's not that I don't, but I have a different picture in my head. I'll get there. And yeah, that 90mm is a beaut. The very last piece of glass I'd give up.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
  • Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    Thanks much, Dan. I went out with the ring flash again today so we'll see what I got.