Options

What is "lo-fi"

FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
edited April 18, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
The question of what constitutes lo-fi has been coming up a lot so I thought that it might be fun to discuss it in a thread for the purpose.

I'll start with sharing my thoughts.

It seems that it has to be something more than sooc - where you make whatever adjustments you camera allows to get the result you want. Otherwise, this would be a straightforward sooc challenge. I can see an argument, though, that relying on your DSLR for a finished jpeg photo is lo-fi. It sure is if you are used to shooting raw and making adjustments in post.

One interpretation seems to be that lo-fi means that the picture has to be soft, oof, under or over exposed, faded, overly saturated etc. - something that we might find in a box of old family or vacation photos from the 60's. Nostalgic. Vintage.

I'm think that another interpretation is a photo made by using a lo-fi means. This allows for photographs where the subject (or part of the subject) is in sharp focus. Or others (like the drive by pix I have posted) resulting from moving the camera. Or the use of a plastic lid to make a vingnette. Or causing a background blur with plastic or vaseline. Etc.

Also, since lensbabies are specifically allowed, I'm wondering if just using one is "lo-fi" for purposes of the challenge? If yes, then the final effect (however, it is achieved) is part of the definition of "lo-fi."

I'm beginning to feel as though I am trying to figure out how many angels can fit on the head of a pin. :scratch

Virginia

Email

Comments

• Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2010
    Flyinggina wrote:
    I'm beginning to feel as though I am trying to figure out how many angels can fit on the head of a pin. headscratch.gif Virginia

Now this part made me smile. Lo-Fi is everything you described and more. This challenge specifically was designed only as a starting point or launch pad to exploration outside of the worry about if something is perfect. Photography for me is a way to express creative energy. That energy should not have boundaries, it should take on many forms. To give a challenge that says shoot a carrot is too narrow so the hope is to ignite a spark and watch that spark grow into a flame. At the same time without some guidelines the whole forest would burn down.

Simply, Lo-Fi was an easy way to encapsulate the description of many forms of free expressive photography, from TTV to pinhole to many more things that I have seen being invented in the last two weeks.

Now go capture some images of angels on a pin mwink.gif
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2010
    Sean, tough challenge. At first I was going to sit it out, but my brain wouldn't leave it alone, so I entered.

According to wikipedia...
    Lo-fi photography is a style of photography generally using poor equipment, such as toy cameras or pinhole cameras, for stylistic effect. It is often considered a reaction to the perceived ease of creating technically perfect photos in the digital age. Generally the emphasis is on using film, rather than digital technology.

The challenge here is to try and mimic this effect using our dSLRs, and without any post-processing.

And I think, further, the challenge for me was to do this, and still come up with something I'd like to have a print of.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2010
    Interesting question.

I'd say that Lo-Fi is the Punk Rock of Photography…

…there's nothing wrong with it, it's just another interpretation.

It's certainly another way of looking at things…

ne_nau.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2010
    In part, it seems to me, Lo-FI using a dslr could be putting the cheapest lensbaby on one. headscratch.gif

ne_nau.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2010
    DonRicklin wrote:
    In part, it seems to me, Lo-FI using a dslr could be putting the cheapest lensbaby on one. headscratch.gif

ne_nau.gif

Don

…or the bottom of a Coke bottle

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2010
    Wil Davis wrote:
    …or the bottom of a Coke bottle

- Wil
    Like this:
    621214503_xPMVb-S.jpg

on this page: http://donricklin.smugmug.com/Other/The-Fun-Stuff/4395926_M8y35#621214503_xPMVb ?

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited April 18, 2010
    or drinking down a tall draft and taking picutres of your dog through the empty glass!:slosh Just before your p&s dies.:cry
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2010
    JAG wrote:
    or drinking down a tall draft and taking picutres of your dog through the empty glass!:slosh Just before your p&s dies.:cry

Oh my!! Now that would be really lo-fi -

I do hope it didn't happen to you. eek7.gif

I just checked your entry. Looks like it did.

Sorry about your p&s.

Great capture though. :D Anything for our art, right?

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2010
    sherstone wrote:
    Lo-Fi is everything you described and more. This challenge specifically was designed only as a starting point or launch pad to exploration outside of the worry about if something is perfect.

And that probably would have been a enough to effect a launch... Sometimes less is better.

I do the discovery thing practically every challenge I enter into, and typically without much fanfare...and though there may be multiple reasons behind the result, it was/is the journey afterall~
    tom wise
  • Options
    The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2010
    Virgina this is a great idea to start this thread.

I have thought and thought and thought some more about what to try.
    I tried several things before finally just entered something.

It seems this is an exercise to get us all to think outside our comfort zone.

I just gave a quick look to see what the entries were like and it's so fun to see how
    many different ideas everyone comes up with. It has definitely has been a fun and interesting challenge.

Good luck everyone.

Peace, gail
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited April 18, 2010
    JAG wrote:

...well I did exaggerate about drinking the tall draft but I did use a tall draft glass and my p&s did stop working. I have cleaned it the best I can and got it working today...but the motor on the lens is giving out unfortunately. Caused from using a cheap underwater plastic bag housing for when I went to the Caribbean. It still doesn't focus well.eek7.gif