D300 Help?

mpriest13mpriest13 Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
edited April 20, 2010 in Cameras
Would anyone have any reservations buying a used Nikon D300 off craigslist with 38,000 actuations and with a small cosmetic scratch on it. He said it has been recently serviced/firmware updated. Price $950. Comes with battery/charger etc...

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 18, 2010
    As long as you understand the risks and have opportunity to examine and test the camera, it can be one of the better ways to purchase a used camera.

It's probably going to be a "buyer beware" and "no warranties or guarantees" sort of transaction so be aware that you are purchasing any hidden problems as well as purchasing the camera.

If the person is a complete unknown I would also ask for identification and contact information. If the camera turns out to be lost or stolen and if that is discovered later "you" could become a person of interest and that identification could become important.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • skips-photographyskips-photography Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    you can get th em off eb*y for the same price with some guarantees..or atleast i just did mine had 7k clicks
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    If it has been recently serviced, I'd ask to see the receipt from that service. This will let you know that the camera has been checked along with any needed repairs. If it was serviced at Nikon, it is unlikely that it has been stolen. Many report their stolen gear to Nikon who keeps these stolen SN on file.

If it all checks out, I'd offer $900 with that many clicks. Ask to see a JPG from the camera and check the number of clicks yourself before the sale.