A Beautiful Old Aston Martin

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited April 22, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
This is a 1935 Aston Martin Ulster. Only 21 of the Ulster models were built and 20 still remain....testimony to the rugged construction of these cars. Almost all of this model were intended to be raced. The 1500 CC engine put out 80 HP and could propel the car to a little over 100 MPH.

840309920_wyfnJ-XL.jpg

840310179_VsZBp-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2010
    My favorite color of green. :D
    Quite the machine. Nice pictures.
    I take it thats a break leaver on the right side. Must be.
    Wonder how it was to drive this one.

Do you ever take photos of just people attending these shows.
    Looks like you might find some favorable photos there as well.
    2nd image... gent at high middle with the black cap.
    1st image... blond woman with hand to her mouth.

You carry 2 cameras? One for long lens?
    Michael
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2010
    Hey Michael,

I take only one camera to this show and I use only one lens, usually. It's a Tokina 20-35 F 2.8. I rarely am able to take a shot any further away than about 15 to 20 ft. from the subject car. The crowds are just too packed to get long shots. I do use a circular polarizer to help control glare off of the subjects. If I plan on getting several abstracts, I might haul along my Nikon 105 MM macro lens.

I see all sorts of interesting folks at shows like this. If I were into shooting people, I could fill a barrel with pictures but, generally speaking, I have no interest in doing so. That's the primary reason I don't get into Streets and PJ. I can appreciate what other photographers record but it's just not something I want to do. With that said, though, look at the pants on that fellow standing by the blue car in the background....something doesn't seem quite right.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2010
    Howdy Tom,

More neat images, I really didn't know that the Aston Martin had been around that long.

It is amazing that 20 of those are still around, I guess folks knew the craftsmanship in them and took care of them.

on the guys and his pants

Looks like it was a beautiful day to be out and about looking at

beautiful Cars.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2010
    It looks so safe... :D

Great images.
  • BoardroomPhotoBoardroomPhoto Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited April 18, 2010
    It must have been a great experience to capture such a rare and old model of Martin. For any car enthusiast these would be a priceless thing to have in his camera.
    Thanks for sharing such rare pics.
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    Hey Tom.......nice shot.....do these cars all work,, and can be driven,, or just for show.....?????? azzaro
    edited April 19, 2010
    Hey Craig,

I'm also surprised that 20 of these survived....seeing as they were mostly raced. That's not an environment conducive to longevity. These things were known, though, for their toughness.

Tom
    edited April 19, 2010
    Hey run kmc...

Thanks for the nice comment.

Tom
    edited April 19, 2010
    BoardroomPhoto....

I do feel blessed to have exposure to the cars I'll see at shows like this. I've been to all three of the major shows in this country before and I hope to make them all again this year. Thanks for looking in.

Tom
    edited April 19, 2010
    Yo Gary,

Yes, all of the cars are operational. One of the show's requirements is that all cars entered for display MUST enter and leave the display area under their own power. On a rare occasion, this requirement if lifted....like with the dragster that Don Garlits showed. Admittedly, that's about all the driving many of them will see in the course of a year.

Tom
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    Beautiful! I didn't know that car existed. Wonderful shots, Tom. Thank you. clap.gifthumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited April 22, 2010
    Hi Lee,

I knew these cars existed only because I have a good friend that owns a 2007 Aston Martin DB9 and he is always overwhelming me with Aston Martin lore. This is, however, the only time I've ever seen one of these Ulsters. As usual, pictures don't do the real thing justice.

Tom
  • wendellwendell Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    Beautiful auto with so much character and the color is great. Thanks for taking us to all of the shows, I would never get to see such mechanical works of art otherwise.
    edited April 22, 2010
    Hi wendell,

Good to hear from you. I'm happy to share these images with you and the others who appreciate these cars for what they are....rolling works of art and, many times, messengers of history.

Take care,

Tom