Saturday in Manhattan

bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
edited April 21, 2010 in Street and Documentary
So yesterday I took a chartered bus full of my Harvard and MIT students, and other folks from Boston to NYC and back to see the HCB MoMA show - excellent - and Lincoln Center Eugene Smith show - mind bogglingly beautiful. While in the city I walked over to pay an all-to-short visit to my daughter at work in the Howard Greenberg Gallery, and then from there over to the West Side to the Smith show. I carried a camera:

A REWORKED VERSION OF #1
#1 841878340_mnVFJ-X2.jpg

#2 840321499_KivTV-X2.jpg

#3840321487_uamQj-X2.jpg

#4840321630_XghLY-X2.jpg

#5840321559_39GQp-X2.jpg

#6840321646_ZkH8T-X2.jpg

#7840321577_9TwPY-X2.jpg

#8841878348_yen8s-X2.jpg

#9841498803_WKFad-X2.jpg

And as I said...will kill for some, not so sure about others...
bd@bdcolenphoto.com
"He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed

Comments

• tortillatorturetortillatorture Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2010
    first shot is especially beautiful, love how the three women create depth in this photo, also last shot does it for me.
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2010
    It would be easier if these were numbered, but, whatever.

7, 8, 9 rolleyes1.gif

7: The expression on the lady that is giving you eye contact is hilarious.
    8: The sign, the expression, couldn't be better thumb.gif
    9: Gotta love living statues! rolleyes1.gif
    Jer
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2010
    It would be easier if these were numbered, but, whatever.

7, 8, 9 rolleyes1.gif

7: The expression on the lady that is giving you eye contact is hilarious.
    8: The sign, the expression, couldn't be better thumb.gif
    9: Gotta love living statues! rolleyes1.gif

Interesting picks, Jeremy.mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2010
    840321630_XghLY-S.jpg

This one is so HCB. The others, more you and less him.

A friend of mine once said about Thelonious Monk's music, "Once you hear it, you can never unhear it." Ditto for HCB, you can never unsee it (and why would you want to?)

840321515_5CyyM-S.jpg

I also agree that this one is very beautiful (and very B.D.!)

(And who needs numbers?)
    If not now, when?
    edited April 18, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    840321630_XghLY-S.jpg

A friend of mine once said about Thelonious Monk's music, "Once you hear it, you can never unhear it." Ditto for HCB, you can never unsee it (and why would you want to?)

840321515_5CyyM-S.jpg

(And who needs numbers?)

Thanks, Rutt - You've picked two of my three favorites.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    840321630_XghLY-S.jpg

840321515_5CyyM-S.jpg

(And who needs numbers?)
    I must agree with Rutt's choices. These two images are fantastic, B.D. Number one is definitely tops for me. I would also add number two to the list. The shot is very whimsical and has B.D. written all over it. thumb.gif
    Travis
    edited April 18, 2010
    thoth wrote:
    I must agree with Rutt's choices. These two images are fantastic, B.D. Number one is definitely tops for me. I would also add number two to the list. The shot is very whimsical and has B.D. written all over it. thumb.gif

Thanks, Travis - I'd certainly be happy with 2 for the day, but if I'm calling it, I definitely have to add the second from the last - the window scene.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    Thanks, Travis - I'd certainly be happy with 2 for the day, but if I'm calling it, I definitely have to add the second from the last - the window scene.
    Interesting, B.D. I looked at the 2nd from the last for quite some time but finally decided it was too busy for me. Knowing it's one of your favorites, I will spend some more time with it, though. thumb.gif
    Travis
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    840321630_XghLY-S.jpg

840321515_5CyyM-S.jpg

(And who needs numbers?)

Those two and the second-last are my picks. I love the layers of people in the second-last one.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    840321487_uamQj-M.jpg

I agree with Rutt on his two as well as the reflections shot being the best of the bunch. But I've gotta say that this one reminds me of an Extra walking off the set of a particular scene from a seminal Woody Allen film. :Drolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    edited April 19, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    I agree with Rutt on his two as well as the reflections shot being the best of the bunch. But I've gotta say that this one reminds me of an Extra walking off the set of a particular scene from a seminal Woody Allen film. :Drolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif I can't say I didn't think of that myself. Sperm on the lose? rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    michswiss wrote:

My favourite of Woody's creations. Next thing bd will be photographing full-figured people bounding over a hill in pairs. rolleyes1.gif
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited April 20, 2010
    1, 3, and (especially) 4 are wonderful shots. There's some interesting stuff in 8--the guy standing on the top edge of the chair--but it doesn't quite come together for me. 9 is closer, but I wish the guy standing between the columns had been just a bit more visible. 5 seems to be missing headscratch.gif. I keep thinking that I ought to like #6--great composition and toning, the doggie entering from the right--but somehow it's not engaging me. Too formal? ne_nau.gif

Three great shots and two great exhibits--not a bad day's work. mwink.gif
    edited April 20, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    1, 3, and (especially) 4 are wonderful shots. There's some interesting stuff in 8--the guy standing on the top edge of the chair--but it doesn't quite come together for me. 9 is closer, but I wish the guy standing between the columns had been just a bit more visible. 5 seems to be missing headscratch.gif. I keep thinking that I ought to like #6--great composition and toning, the doggie entering from the right--but somehow it's not engaging me. Too formal? ne_nau.gif

Three great shots and two great exhibits--not a bad day's work. mwink.gif

That's what I was thinking. BTW - I think I know what part of the draw is for #1....

girl_with_a_pearl_earring_large_two-1.jpg
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited April 20, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    That's what I was thinking. BTW - I think I know what part of the draw is for #1....

Leave it to you to show it in B&W...hopeless. rolleyes1.gif

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    edited April 20, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    Leave it to you to show it in B&W...hopeless. rolleyes1.gif

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

ONLY because I thought it made the point more easily. No way would I suggest that it should have been 'shot' that way. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    I'm late to the party so don't really have anything extra to add. You got some real keepers here. You clearnly had a worthwhile day with your camera on top of getting to see two outstanding exhibitions!

I do love the little boy and, while I had't thought of it until you posted the masterpiece, the Vermeer is a marvelous inspiration for #1, a picture that keeps drawing me back. I think that #1 is your very best of this set. Unique. It will stand the test of time.

Virginia

Email
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    Excellent set to top off what must have been a wonderful day.

I enjoy the expressions in #1 & #2. They both have their attention engaged out of the frame and have me wondering. The boy in #4 captures boyhood so well. #8 is intriguing, but ultimately too busy for me to lock into anything of ultimate interest. Maybe I would have preferred it without the reflections.
    edited April 21, 2010
    Flyinggina wrote:
    I'm late to the party so don't really have anything extra to add. You got some real keepers here. You clearnly had a worthwhile day with your camera on top of getting to see two outstanding exhibitions!

I do love the little boy and, while I had't thought of it until you posted the masterpiece, the Vermeer is a marvelous inspiration for #1, a picture that keeps drawing me back. I think that #1 is your very best of this set. Unique. It will stand the test of time.

Virginia

Thanks, Virgina - It is definitely my favorite.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com