karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
edited April 26, 2010 in Landscapes

Comments

• stirinthesaucestirinthesauce Registered Users Posts: 293 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2010
    I like it!
  • JoashotsJoashots Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2010
    Very nice! I love the light in this shot, and the rocks in the foreground take me right to the edge of the expansive vista.
    Joash R

If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. - Samuel Butler
  • karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    Thanks for your feedback -- it was quite the experience. The hike wasn't too bad (about 20 minutes up switch backs from the Blue Ridge Parkway), but once you were up there, you really were close to the edge. Top that with the large wind gusts (25-30mph was what had been forecasted) and it made for an exciting place to takes photo at sunset!
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    Hey Karl.

This is a wonderful shot. I've set at that same spot many, many times and I never tire of the view.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    Very nice. You have to go back in the fall!
  • pillmanpillman Registered Users Posts: 821 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    Fall for sure. Could be sharper yet under those conditions you did fantastic.
    After that Hike I would have taken a shot no matter what condition..
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    You have some very nice light in the shot. There is nice side lighting of the foreground rocks that is giving you detail. There is also very nice color in the sky with some red and blue. I don't know if you have done any post processing on the picture but there are some nice details you can probably still bring out of the picture.

You may want to try to apply an exposure gradient to the sky. This would darken the picture from the top to the top of the mountains. Maybe just a -0.3 to -0.5. This will darken it slightly and begin to saturate some of the colors that are there. You may also want to apply some curve adjustments to bring in a little more contrast. The green hills may be a little flat and steepening the curve would bring in some interest and more detail.
    edited April 22, 2010
    Thanks for the tips -- I'm going to give those a go when I get a spare moment to edit this image again. :D
    edited April 24, 2010
    Finally had some time to work on this one -- let me know your thoughts.

846334867_ABXqy-XL.jpg
  • jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2010
    Looks great. A little more "pop".